[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: po.png (704KB, 745x725px) Image search: [Google]
po.png
704KB, 745x725px
Exactly how shitty is it working a 9-6 job every day compared to, say, being a university student?
>>
Working is great. As a student, even if you're only spending 3-4 hours a day in class, there's always something you *could* be doing in your own time. When you work, any time outside of work is actually your own; you can go home and switch off
>>
>>18633769
Indeed. As a student you always have to worry about things like homework and exams. With a job, once you're home, you're home. The time is all yours.
>>
>>18633790
>>18633769
>Have a full time job
>get up well before you'd like to
>Spend an hour in traffic or a crowded train
>spend 9 hours with people you don't like doing something you could care less for
>more transit
>eat a crappy meal and sit in front of the TV because you don't have the energy to cook or do anything else
>or maybe you have some commitment you don't really want to do that night that will leave you even tireder for the next day
>household chores, wash and groom yourself etc
>Go to bed before 10 so you can get up in time for the same thing tomorrow

But don't take it from me
>>
>>18633815
Being a constantly stressed, broke student who has no idea where their life is going to go is preferable? There are definitely people who get too comfortable being students, but they're going to have to grow up and live in the real world. Life is what you make it, if you're not enjoying your life, make some changes to it and maybe you won't be so miserable.
>>
college is fucking garbage
working is great but you have to put in the effort to make it great
only you can secure good pay for yourself, optimize your commute time (mine is 15 minutes), and find comfy places to spend lunch
>>
>>18633762
>When you work, any time outside of work is actually your own; you can go home and switch off

This is only a temporary feeling, until you start to feel bored, restless or like you have missed potential in your life. Then you start to wish you had time to work on all the things you had time for as a student but now when you get home you have 2 hours of your brain being basically liquid in which to try and be productive, creative, etc. The thing is, having too much time still makes me do nothing, so I don't know if I'd trade it for being a student. I do find myself being very envious of part time or shift workers though.
>>
>>18633839
>This is only a temporary feeling, until you start to feel bored, restless or like you have missed potential in your life.
Most people have balanced lives with friends and significant others and hobbies and interests.
>>
>>18633762
>get paid $70k a year sans education
>get to sit on my ass and nap or shitpost most of the time depending on how well the day is going
>always getting free shit and incentives
>can take every winter off if I want to

Sometimes you can luck into really fucking good jobs. If you find one that's good dont be a retard and quit. If its not a great place to work keep your options open.
>>
>>18633845
Yeah, and if you speak to those friends you'll find out most people hate the 9-5 grind too, unless they happen to work their dream job. Not that I'm saying that's unnatainable, but pretty unrealistic if you're talking about a first jobber. What a shitty thing to say.
>>
>>18633846
Whats your job?

You remind me when we went to the sewage treatment plant in school, and they told us some sucker had the job of wading into the lakes of shit for maintenance; however with the danger money they'd only have to work half the year before driving off in their Ferraris.
>>
>>18633815
I'm glad I don't have such a shitty life as you. I have a comfy and well paid job and have plenty of free time. Most people aren't as bad off as you.
>>
>>18633867
Mining.
Back in the day shit was dangerous and hard, hard fucking work.
But now everything is automated. All I really have to do is keep an eye on the equipment and repair something if it breaks. Whenever we go down for a day I spend a day cleaning shit but that isnt very often.
>>
>>18633870

My older brother was going to do that when he was 25. Heard stories that it's fucking horrible. Not the work but the mines are isolated from civilisation so everyone smokes meth and fucks strippers. eh, i suppose 6 months pay to cover 6 months off is pretty good.
>>
>>18633762
I kinda hate it tbqh.

Sometimes the day passes on automatic, sometimes it drags forever. By the time I get home (I take 1 hour 20-30 mins to commute) I barely have time to do anything I'd like, because if I sleep late I will feel like shit for the rest of the next day, although sometimes my body just gives up and forces me to crash in my bed ASAP.

But even if you hate it, you get used to it over time. It is a soul drenching feel, which will either make you stagnate or push yourself for trying to get something better.
>>
A consistent 9-6 would probably be much more pleasant than shift work, at least.

What I hate the most is only getting 8 hours between shifts to eat, sleep, shit, and manage whatever else I need before heading back to work. Often the days I get off are just spent catching up on the sleep I lost during the week.
>>
I finished uni and had a month off. Then I worked 9-5.30 for the rest of summer with 30+mins commute. It was kind of shit, I told myself I didn't want to work full-time ever again, if I could afford it.

I hated being too tired to do anything after work.

I knew someone who got used to it, and after a few month he's managed to write/edit films for hours after work and made it part of his routine. So it can be done, but I think its rare. You need to be a very disciplined person.
>>
I worked 12 hour shift work with a 2 hour commute both ways. Shit work, shit money, less than 6 hours sleep for 2 years.
Now I work a cushy salary job where I have full benefits, one of the best pensions around and I basically make my own hours.
If you're not willing to dig through shit, you don't deserve gold.
>>
>>18633762
I enjoyed working as bricklayers' helper, quite lot of physical work, but rather little thinking was needed.
>>
How the fuck do I even get a job?
>25
>Little experience
>Developed actual skills from just dicking around with different projects
>Useless BA
>>
>>18634301
Start applying?

Feel free to BS some experience but don't BS work experience.

If people WITHOUT experience can get hired, someone with experience should.

Also, dont worry about the HR technical requirments, they don't know what the fuck theyre talking about most of the time.
>>
>>18634308
Example:

When I applied for a Golang job, the language was barely 2 years old.

Yet they were looking for 8+ years of Golang experience. So take that as you will
>>
>>18634308
Been applying for 2 months since graduating and only one interview that fell through.

Just wondering if 'starting at the bottom' is really that important. Do I actually need to put in a year at McDonalds or Wal Mart?
Any tactics for selling myself better on paper?

Any Anons want to network?
>>
>>18634318
>Just wondering if 'starting at the bottom' is really that important.

No man.

I just put relevant experience in the experience section. If I'm working retail, I put in my retain experience etc. If you don't have experience at all, then you should replace it with volunteer (if applicable) and if you really don't have volunteering experience, write a four sentence objective at the top. And place your education right below.
Is your resume a single page? It should because HR flips through them and a well put single page resume is very nice for the HR people.

>Any Anons want to network?

What's your field ? I'm infosec and devops
>>
>>18634330
Hey Anon, first off I really appreciate the feedback so far. I was kind of losing momentum today but you're giving me some hope. I'll keep at it.

Resume is a page --unfortunately I don't have enough to fluff it out more than that if I wanted to anyways. Maybe that's for the better.

Not sure we're too networkable then but my degree is Liberal Arts, more or less interdisciplinary social sciences with a pretty big emphasis on the sociology/social psychology end. Since I have long term goals of going into research I've put an increasing amount of more time into data analysis. Pretty handy with R, rookie with Python. Outside of that, helped some activist-y profs with grant writing, proposals, etc.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.