[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conversation Hostage?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 4387563856.jpg (6KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
4387563856.jpg
6KB, 278x181px
What do you call it when somebody lays down conversation rules where you end up in a situation where you cant even say anything?

"I dont like small talk"
"I hate it when people ask 'how are you?'"
"Dont force a conversation"

They'll seemingly complain about wanting genuine conversation, but refuse to initiate any starting point. I've never had this issue before, but since I (begrudgingly) have to get along with somebody like this I feel a bit stumped.

Should I just randomly start talking about something they might like and see if that works?
Is there a way I should be more considerate to a person like this?
>>
Break their rules as a joke and see how they react
People are so entitled and coddled, it's nice to break that sometimes

But dont do it too often, just keep them on their toes that they dont get everything that they want
>>
>>18633580
Ask him why he feels anyone should engage in meaningful conversation with him if he isn't capable of engaging in small talk. How's that for "not small talk?"
>>
I've a friend like this, he is just a massively insecure edge lord. He is always 'challenging' people when really he just likes to get them into a position where they believe him to be debating rationally so he can ramp up his obnoxious trolling. He doesn't do small talk, doesn't believe in regrets, believes life too precious to waste around boring people and boring topics. All the usual shit that comes out of the mouths of pretty irritating people.

Why do I call him a friend? Because he is funny as shit to hang around with and I don't have to rely on him in any way. He has tried to fuck with me in the past and quickly realised that he needs me in his life quite badly because everybody else either ignores him or wants to beat him up eventually. So we meet up a few times a year and have fear and loathing style adventures.

This is the guy who immediately tossed his drink in the face of a girl who was openly flirting with him as she was wearing a ramones shirt and he asked her what her favourite ramones album was and she replied 'idk but they make cool shirts ha ha ha'.

Sometimes I think he uses me because I'm much more physically threatening than he is and it allows him to escalate and get away with shit he'd never try when he is on his own, but it is often very funny and we've had many ridiculous scrapes.
>>
>>18633580
If you feel he isn't open for a conversation don't talk to him.

You can get along with someone even if (or because of it) you don't talk with them.
>>
>>18633587
THIS, honestly. Just ask them what you asked up, it's the most important thing apparently for you to talk to them about, and hey, it isn't small talk or "how are you," and it's not forced. They'd appreciate it if they aren't a hypocrite

Or: you're missing other cues and they just don't want to talk to you at all/are having a bad day or week/etc
>>
>>18633580
Tell them to fuck off

t. Australian
>>
>>18633628
Good broship here lol
>>
>>18633580
>make it clear I don't care for sports on multiple occasions
>people who were present when I said "I don't care about sports" before ask me about sports
>get huffy when I tell them "I don't watch sports"
Fuck small talk.
>>
>>18633587
>Hurr, if you can't wring a conversation out of "Wow, it's sunny today", you aren't worth talking to
See, I'm willing to talk to people, but they have to give me something that merits more than a one or two word response. If "Nice day today." is all you're willing it give me, you're going to get a "Yup." back at absolute best.
>>
>>18633587
So, basically burn all your conversational bridges right away and make them not want to talk to you.
>>
Absolutely don't go out of your way to be considerate. Interaction is a two people ordeal. He is acting like he's a paying customer barking orders. If you have to get along with them, sure, don't make small talk and try not to aggravate them. But bending over backwards to meet their expectations is not just too much effort/investment if you ask me, but also will only feed their wrong expectations.

I mean, one of the very reasons people make small talk is to see who they have a click with or share a sense of humor with or whatever that can make it appealing to have a more personal and in-depth conversation. If someone feels above doing that despite it being a big standard in socializing, okay, but they'll miss out on a lot of opportunities.

Just avoid small talk and tell them whatever you feel like saying. Plus practical questions/comments.
>>
>>18634538
>You watch sports anon?

>Yeah I enjoy watching retards give each other brain damage
>>
Who dictates a conversation like this.
>>
>>18634652
Introverted people?
>>
>>18633580

Douchery.

Dude has old friends with whom he already has well broken ice. Never made a new friend.
>>
> "Dont force a conversation"

I think this one gives it away. They don't like awkward banal conversation. When something is banal it is annoying and mind numbingly boring, it gives you a feeling like bashing you head against a wall.

Talk about something different, or share something interesting, or go deeper with your conversation expressing you genuineness. You know, like a real person.

However banal people seem to think a "real person" talks like they do on a sitcom. They also seem to not notice themselves repeating, and they have "conversations" in predictable patterns that everybody knows off by heart. Or the worst thing, stating the bleeding obvious.

I think just talk a bit more about real stuff, I doubt they want to go through your "how are you" ritual again and again.
>>
My problem with the question "How are you?" only seems to have one socially acceptable response: generally positive. People ask the question already expecting the answer most of the time--you're good, you're fine, you're doing okay. Any deviation from that makes people feel uncomfortable. If someone asks how you're doing and you start unloading your problems on them, or if they ask "How are you?" and you say "Feeling like shit, how about you?" people don't really know what to do. They've likely never really had to deal with that response, and it makes everything awkward
>>
I dont know who this person is to you, but maybe they just dont want to fucking talk to you?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.