[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a music teacher low-brow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 3_big.jpg (183KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3_big.jpg
183KB, 800x1200px
I just got a job teaching classical guitar at a little music school in the suburbs.

Is this a low brow thing to be doing? I am not sure if I should put it on my LinkedIn page and resume.

I feel slightly embarrassed about doing it for some reason. Like I should be working at a corporation, but I get paid $30 an hour doing it. It seems like people have absolutely no respect for music teachers. My mom also thinks it is kind of low-brow and I should be working in a corporation instead.

Opinions?
>>
>>18633002
I am 24 years old, just graduated college.

How does age play into it exactly?
>>
>>18632999
What the fug man. $30 an hour how can anyone complain about that? How many hours do you get. Sounds like a fucking amazing gig! What the fuck is the difference working for a "corporation" I mean what other background do you have? But anyways, Fuck what other people think anyways. If you are making good money it doesn't matter what you do. Because there are other people who would die for that wage and work pathetic, hardworking jobs. Man I'd laugh at whoever would think lowly of me for doing that.

As for putting it on your resume... Why not? I mean if you think it would be completely inapplicable to the job you're applying for. But personally I wouldn't put it on unless I was really hard on for extra work experience.
>>
Lowbrow is in your head. Thinking like that keeps people from taking well-paying, in-demand jobs that don't involve 1980s-style yuppie approval. I know older people in various industries (like court reporting and appliance repair) who are begging people to come work for them at $50K+ but no one wants to do it because they'd rather make $10K working for a "media startup" just reblogging stuff they've seen on Instagram.

But I also happen to be a self-important critical asshole, and even by my standards music teacher is a respectable job. If you enjoy it and it pays the bills you're golden.

One of my girlfriends was a grade school violin teacher and performing musician. All her wealthy stuck-up friends thought it was awesome.
>>
>>18632999
You should do what you want to do, not what others want you to do. Anyone that thinks your job is low-brow is a cunt 2bh
>>
Teaching and knowing how to engage with people, especially young people, is very important and respected in the arts.
Not everyone can be a creator but in the arts its really necessary to foster a passion in the audience.
>>
When it comes to a resume it may certainly be better than nothing, depending on the job you're applying for. People like when somebody has a passion and being a teacher shows that for example you're good at explaining things, meaning you'll be able to lead a presentation. I dunno man, depends on the job you're applying for I guess? If you can't see any valuable skill for the desired job that comes from teaching, then don't put it there, but if you do - go ahead and do it
>>
>>18633071
Damn court reporting would be fucking sweet, I should look into that.

>people want to work at a media start up

Top kek. Fuck those types of people they drive me up the wall.

That's interesting your girlfriend's snobby friends thought what she did was cool. I don't work at a public school or anything though, I just teach at this small music school.

>>18633077
Yeah... I do kinda like it, but I probably can't do it as a career. I live in a pretty snobby place and if you're not working at one of the 15 large corporations around here, people act like you're a retarded inbred loser. Kinda funny actually.

>>18633135
Interesting I'll keep that in mind

>>18633164
Yeah I am afraid that I won't be able to use it because I think "classical guitar teacher" could sound bad on a corporate resume. So there will be somewhat of a large gap with work experience when applying for jobs in the future, but I guess i'll just have to put it down
>>
>>18633071
This
>>
>>18632999
It's a cultural thing. People think the only way to be successful is to be part of some big corporation. Do what you want. if it gets you enough money and you're happy, what's the problem?
>>
>>18632999
Be happy you fucking nigger I make $12 an hour
>>
No, definitly not. Ive been taking guitar for 8 years, and now im heading off to college. I dont miss my family or my friends, the one person i miss is my guitar teacher. I have so much respect for him.
>>
File: 1432061583922.jpg (400KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1432061583922.jpg
400KB, 1920x1080px
>>18633077
Ignore this guy OP, networking is extremely important and you are smart to be aware of it.

I wouldn't qualify being a music teacher as "low-brow." When I think "low-brow," I think of a bouncer at a strip club or a bartender at Applebee's. Teaching guitar lessons adds an interesting note to your resume. That said, if this is not your career path, I wouldn't do this for longer than a year or two. Being a short-term music teacher will look fine on your resume, and may even impress certain folks, but if you keep this gig for too long then try to break into a field that is not music-related, you will have a hard time landing a job.
>>
>>18632999
It's a perfectly respectable thing to do. Your mom has a weird opinion about it. I think it is more respectable than working at a corporation.
>>
>culture
>low brow
oh wait you said guitar. yeah thats pretty down there
>>
You have an interesting creative skill and are going to be paid a good wage to teach it to children?

How is that more low-brow than being a whore for some faceless corp?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.