[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Education, trades, and careers advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

File: 1502656827622.jpg (477KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1502656827622.jpg
477KB, 1000x750px
Great success in last thread. Let's help those that are younger than us (or older trying to make a change) choose their careers or give general advice to those that are unsure and trying to find their path in life or generally get one another into positions to better their lives and those around them.

Let's talk options and advice on
>Universities and college (Bachelor's, masters, and PhDs) life and experiences
>Medical careers
>Law careers
>Trades
>Military careers
>Agriculture and forestry
>Minimum wagecucks
>Government (local and national)
>Police and firefighting
>Freight (train, ship, aircraft, or truck)
>Transportation (pilots)
>Stock market careers
>Freelance work or writing
>Self employment/business owners
>Those that don't want to be NEETs anymore

Help your fellow anons out.

Let's do some good and help each other on to the right paths for us.

>PhD in chemistry working in industry.
>>
File: image.jpg (530KB, 1047x1571px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
530KB, 1047x1571px
Hey I don't know how well this'll work out and I'm sorry if this long but here goes. I'm 18 and going into senior year of highschool. Now I always wanted to be a biochemist but that was mainly for the 6 digit pay. Recently I've started working with my dad's old buddies who worked for him and they let me help them because of his passing(HVAC and Auto Repair). And they say I've got a knack for this kind of work. I've got a lot of colleges up my ass with an Air Force recruiter on speeddial just in case. So what should I do my high school GPA is somewhere in the 3.5 to 3.7 range and I'm a fast learner. My only two setbacks are that I don't have a drivers license just because I've always had like not premonitions but like dreams while awake of me dieing in a wreck when I get behind a wheel. The second setback was that my Christian school(it's not actually one its just rural and in Ohio so it's heavily favored) thought that I was going down a godless path because I(being an idiot I know) told some sorta edgy jokes to some people who I thought were cool and knew I was joking but I guess not so they ratted and I got suspended for 10 days for family death related depression. So what should I do pic related is my dog because I figured I should lighten up this page of text.
>>
>>18630240
Learn to drive. Colleges dont give a shit if you were suspended in highschool. As long as you have decent grades and money you shouldnt worry.
>>
>>18630240
Well if you want to be a biochemist, to make that kind of money is going to be a lot of school. Undergrad then straight into PhD (assuming you're American). It's not as bad as it sounds but requires a lot of thought and being creative in your PhD. There's also more than biochemistry. There's materials, polymers, etc. I can go into more detail if you care. If you're doing well in HVAC, you can go into mechanical engineering. If you want to do both engineering and some form of chemistry and explore it in school, chemical engineering (it's more than fluids through pipes and oil refining). Engineering you can typically get a good job right out of undergrad. Even greater money with certifications and masters. I am the OP and can go into more detail if you want.

As for your lack of drivers license or suspension, no one cares as long as your not a douche. Drivers license is no big issue. Hell my wife is taking her driver's test in early September and she's 35
>>
Quick question: I sent my CV and transcript to a partner in a firm a few months ago and was told that they didn't have anything open at the time but they'd be in touch if anything came up. I just got an email five minutes ago asking if I was still looking for a job. They wouldn't have asked if they weren't interested in hiring me, right?
>>
Guess I'll post. I'm 24 just starting my first semester at college after graduating high school in 2011. I'm going to a local community college and taking basic general ed classes, and a Math class incase I want to major STEM

So I've thought about it extensively and the fields that interest me most are

>Psychology (research, not clinical)
>Dietetics
>Kinesiology
>Engineering

Psychology and dietetics are my favorite to study and I could spend all day looking up information about them. I just worry that I wouldn't enjoy the careers they would provide.

I'm looking for achievement in my career, a rewarding career where I can be on the cutting edge and feel like I'm really working towards improving humanity through advancements. I WANT that feeling of achievement. That's why I thought robotics would be a cool career path to take.

Also with STEM jobs, when I search on Indeed there a boatloads of jobs everywhere and I could move anywhere I wanted to. I live in Los Angeles currently and it blows (fucking traffic), so I've wanted a job that would give me a lot of prospects for where I can live, such as foreign countries (interested in Australia for sure, they love memes).

As far as the type of person I am: I'm caring and compassionate, but also analytical and an intuitive thinker.

I really do love psychology though and research Psych seems like it would be an awesome career, just getting an Doctoral degree just seems too far off right now: I'd like to work for a bit with a bachelors or Masters (which is perfectly doable in STEM) and the idea of social working or the clinical setting doesn't appeal to me one bit.
>>
I'm an incoming Freshman at an engineering focused High School. I was hoping to get into material science engineering. Anything I should worry about?
>>
>>18630313
They are indeed wondering g if you're still interested. I always hated how slow HR is in getting back to you with responses. Hell I still get responses two years after I got my job.

>>18630337
What are your weaknesses? As a major it rides the line of engineering and chemistry. Deals with a lot of surface and film forming science.

>>18630329
Your interests are somewhat inline with what I started out in undergrad. I bounced around majors until I took Organic Chemistry which changed my life completely pushing me into the field of chemistry.
>>
I'm 26 and have been working in IT for 5 years. I'm tired of it but I have no idea what career I should go for. Is there a good way to find what career will fit me?
>>
>>18630365
Well there are two ways of going about this: 1) what are your interests? 2) what are your strengths and key skills?
>>
>>18630367
I honestly have no idea. I've just been aimlessly going through life for a long time and haven't figured those things out yet.
>>
>>18630373
Well you need to do some introspection, because it's your life and the surest way to be miserable is to do just blindly do what people tell you to.
>>
Majoring in computer science ambrcaysr not sure what else I'd do. Don't love it not sure if I'd even want a job with it
Wooo
>>
Howdy, just turned 20 less than a month ago and I'm just not satisfied with what I'm currently doing with my life. I work my part time job which is a dollar over minimum, was taking one class in the summer and on my off days I'm either spending with my significant other or working with my pops as he allows me to join him on AC jobs to earn some extra money. None of my other friends make as much as I do except one who has almost everything I currently strive for. I'm also not the brightest in college but I'm not retarded. I don't have the motivation to do any better than barely passing since I'm not too enthusiastic about college but I do want to make the big bucks. Currently majoring in Human Resources but it's pretty boring. As a human being, I'm pretty social and do enjoy working my retail job since I get to speak with all kinds of people and solve all sorts of problems. I don't know why I'm posting in this thread, just some advice from someone wiser than me would do me good. Thank you.
>>
18 year old going into senior year here I'm pretty bad a math, got a D 2nd semester of geometry and completely failed algebra 2, but other than that I got pretty decent grades. Is there any hope for me if I'm not particularly good at math when it comes to college/university? What are some career choices that aren't really math-heavy?
>>
>>18630419
What don't you like about CS and what are some things in CS and outside of it that you enjoy
>>
File: Sobbing.gif (607KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
Sobbing.gif
607KB, 250x249px
>>18630188
I'll be frank here, I'm going to vent a little so forgive me, though I am in a rather dire mood as of this morning.

I've received my exam results after having retaken AS Level Further Maths & Economics and scored a C in economics and an E in mathematics (with a U in further maths, this was expected however). Frankly I'm rather distraught at the results given that I've consistently been scoring A's (in most cases around 90%) on past papers for C1, C2 and both economics papers which I found this time around to be very straight-forward. I have no idea how my grades ended up so low despite working so hard and scoring so well otherwise, as if I'm cursed with being a failure. Failed the year before and was forced to self-teach given that no other colleges/ sixth forms would let me take the subjects that I desired to study.

I'm going to have my exams remarked under any circumstance as it is clear that something is not right (given that all of the questions on C1 + C2 were very easy and I had zero issue, I know the answers were right given the employment of the exact methodology and the fact that I have been performing considerably well for almost a year). I find differentiation and integration to be very straight-forward and can even do the former implicitly in addition to correct utilization of the chain rule and numerous standard results - which is for C3 + C4. How it turned out so bad I have no idea.

Should I have truly failed I suppose I'll jump off a bridge. Life should only be allocated to those worthy of it not to those who ruin it for others with their needless consumption of resources. I'm pathetic, petty and a complete joke in every facet of life despite the fact that I spend every day attempting to improve myself and appearing to get somewhere, yet inevitably fall backwards with no explanation. Its rather clear that my only trait is failing at everything I do despite having everything set up perfect, I just don't get it.
>>
>>18630596
CS, accounting, law -- just anything that isn't maths/science/engineering won't be too maths heavy. CS, however, may have some maths depending on the program offered by your university but generally is not too maths heavy apart from logic
>>
What do people do after studying physics? I'm studying maths and finance at the moment, but I'm considering going full science with maths and physics, but career options after graduation doesn't seem very good... I live in Australia just for reference
>>
How exactly do you even find out what you want to do? I'm pretty unsure of what I want to do in the future. I'm interested in writing or maybe art, business, politics, movies, and most of the trades seem relatively interesting to me. I've also considered something in the military, but that's not my main priority. Really I've just got no idea how I'm supposed to figure this out.
>>
Be mindful of student loans kids, those dream jobs won't fall in your lap right when you grad. 4-5 hundred a month (4year) is a lot until you get a decent gig. Once you do it is no big deal, but spend some time on job boards and surfing to get to know what the job market actually looks like in an area that you want to live. You could end up with a shit job for a year or more after, dont get discouraged!
>>
>>18630636
Really depends on what you focus on in gradschool. You pick an advisor at a university and focus hard on it, something that you want to work on and learn about. Once you write your dissertation in that specialty, you usually find a job in that specialty based on your advisors connections but you can really work anywhere if you have a strong enough skill set.

>>18631194
I changed my major numerous times. I started wanted to to meteorology, saw the math requirements and changed to sports medicine was good at it but wanted to help more people, took more math and science by then switching into exercise science and physical therapy. Was good at it so went premed. Took more math and science. Took organic chemistry and was really good. Decided medschool wasn't for me due to the people. Switched into biochemistry took more math. Switched into chemistry do to some requirements I agreed with and took more math.
When I graduated I ended up taking more math than meteorology required. I knew I wanted something science related just had a hard time settling on one. Trial and error and talking to professors and videogames guided me more than any councilor.
>>
>>18630627
Nothin
>>
>>18630188
Can anyone give me some advice about computer security jobs. I plan to get a CS degree at UC Boulder but I dont know if that is the best degree for me. Im 28 and I have been working in the Navy as a SPY technician with a secret clearance. I mostly work on radar equipment but I also work on our signal processor and interconnecting networks. Its very basic level input output and troubleshooting OSes but no data management or actual packet monitoring.
I know that Raytheon does a internship for UC so I would like to get in on that once I start college. I am also working on my ccnp and ccna and network+, security+ and a+ exams.
>>
File: lxyzg8loiN1qls8ovo1_250.png (68KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
lxyzg8loiN1qls8ovo1_250.png
68KB, 250x333px
>>18630188
What are the objective benefits of going to a school specifically to major in animation and 3D design like Full Sail University?

Why do people choose to go to school as opposed to just learning everything off the internet, which I'm assuming you probably could do, and go off from there?
>>
>>18630188
Anyone ever been to NYIT?

How good is the school? College life? Costs? My dream is to try to live it out in the big city and go to a school there where I'd be surrounded by plenty of other kids my age.

However, if there is anything I should be aware of, or ought to be talked out of before doing any of this, I'm willing to hear it.
>>
27 y/o here who has never taken education seriously in the past.
As a result I've kind of been left behind by my peers career wise. I really want to the go to atleast community college.
Any advice for a late bloomer with limited funds?
I'm interested in civil engineering.
>>
>>18631919
Civil engg is a long shot, you need uni. Civil technologist is doable. Get a collage degree, teach yourself microstation and cadd to get ahead and go hard for internships.

Be warned: I'm familiar with the work and it's not very rewarding. You'd be copying drafts onto a computer program for a long long time.
>>
Any teacherfags here? (US)
My university is garbage in the advising department and we're all basically thrown to the wolves on knowing how the hell you actually get a teaching job post graduation.
I've got about another year to go, how the fuck do you apply to be a teacher at some school district? I'm assuming there isn't an application online like shitty min wage retailers do.
Do I just beg the school district I do my student teaching in to hire me once I graduate?
>>
>finish first year
>it's ok not in love with major
>get new financial aid package from FAFSA
> $9000 less
>no real reason why
>nobody can pay the difference

Am I just fucked?
>>
>>18632061
There is an online application like minimum wage jobs. Generally you start out as a substitute teacher first because it's hard to get anything other than that with no experience. When my mom first started teaching she was subbing for multiple school districts whichever one needed her that day. Then a teacher quit and she became a long term sub for that class till the end of the year, and they offered her a permanent position teaching it the year after
>>
Anyone got any advice on getting into business and marketing? Also interested in app and web design. Ideally I want to work towards being capable of running my own online business. I have been spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs of starting one but I know it would be a stretch to think I'm ready
>>
>>18632044
I'm an instrument engineer....i fucking hate it, but its interesting and pays well. Get into civil and see where it takes ya.
>>
>>18630419
I dropped out of my CS program freshman year because I realized I fucking hate working on/with computers for other people. I'm in trade school now for electrical distribution systems and I couldn't be happier.
>>
>>18630188
Okay so ill be applying to University in the next few months.

I am interested mostly in History, Politics, Current Events and Law.

Im thinking my top 4 programs would be
>Criminal Law/Justice
>History
>International Relations
>Political Science

Possible careers im interested in are:
>Military (Officer or Enlisted, but if enlisted no way i would do as a career)
>Law Enforcement (You need a degree if you want to get hired where i am, they are also well paid in Canada too.)
>Teaching Law or History
>Working for the government

Is this dumb. What do you all recommend i do? Im pretty good in all my courses. Is it okay not knowing really what I want do before i go? Should i just apply to a program im interested in at a good school and see where that goes? Im pretty anxious about it all.
>>
File: 1502562709375.gif (134KB, 393x393px) Image search: [Google]
1502562709375.gif
134KB, 393x393px
How do I unfuck myself /adv/?

I left my first big boy job out of college for a variety of reasons, the work environment was wrecking my health and I wasn't learning anything at all after maybe a year. I stuck it out for a second year and decided to make the jump without another job lined up while keeping busy with professional development and travel. It's been 5 months since I've started looking for work again and I'm finding it difficult to answer the "why did you quit your last job" question in a satisfying way. There's also the problem of references..

am I truly fucked?
>>
>>18632881
>the work environment was wrecking my health and I wasn't learning anything at all after maybe a year.

That is a completely satisfying answer. It's honest. Though as a rule of thumb, don't quit a job without another lined up unless it is really killing you. And no you are not truly fucked. Just a difficult spot because your gap in employment will grow the longer it takes to find a job.
>>
>>18632904
>Though as a rule of thumb, don't quit a job without another lined up unless it is really killing you.
If I could go back in time I would probably tough it out but I felt like I had to as I had no time to job hunt and was in no shape to either. I had someone cut an interview short because she could tell I wasn't in the right place for a job which was when I made my decision.

Any advice for how to deal with references? I haven't gotten to the point where I'd need them just yet but should I try reaching out to old managers? I'm afraid if I fake it through friends or something they'll verify its a lie somehow.
>>
>>18632930
What is your line of work?

I would reach out. Are your friends people that have worked with you or acquaintances? Two of my go to references are people I worked with in gradschool. One a postdoc that left a year after I started but continually discussed science center with and another from a company y working with us but we like to drink together a lot.
>>
File: 1364026652997.jpg (27KB, 398x460px) Image search: [Google]
1364026652997.jpg
27KB, 398x460px
I got my civil engineering degree a few years ago and I've been underpaid ever since ($60K/year). I've tried applying to a handful of good jobs, but I've regularly been passed over by people with their engineering license. Now I'm getting ready to take the tests myself and I'm wondering what my game plan should be once I earn it. Obviously I need to start applying to other jobs, but I have no sense of what's worth leaving my current job. I don't think I'll be happy with anything less than a 50% increase to $90k, which is a lot more in line with what I should be making. I'm fairly sure that my current place won't make that kind of jump, but I'm wondering if I should even give them the option or just immediately jump ship as soon as another job is available. I'm even wondering if I should leave California altogether, since it takes 6 figures just to live comfortably here and my wife isn't taking her career seriously.

I'm not living the life that I daydreamed about through college.
>>
>>18632960
Where are you getting your ideas of what you should be earning from?
>>
>>18632954
IT related

I'm friends with my co-workers somewhat although that's dwindled now that I left as relationships often do. I don't live in that city anymore and I was well liked by my boss until near the end of my employment and eventual leaving as the quality of my work had suffered.

Places seem to ask for supervisory references a lot so I'll have to try reaching out and see how things go since time has passed I suppose. I'm more worried about what I'll do in that case should they happen to say no as I have no idea what I'll do about prospective employers and references then.
>>
>>18632973
It's worth reaching out. If you can't produce any references hopefully they allow you to explain. I always thought references were for people with no job experience
>>
>>18632964

Glassdoor, advice from non-coworker civil engineers, promises from professors, and the (few) job postings that actually advertise their salary. I know I'm getting reamed when small cities are advertising entry-level civil jobs at $90k/year.
>>
electrical engineer

love my job. super rewarding and very satisfying. now I'm trying to do the side business on Amazon FBA!
>>
>>18631194
For me it was try and fail. I tried CS, turns out I like it, but not enough to pursue it professionally, just casually at my own pace in the areas I like.

I then switched to IT and kept doing shit I liked in my off time. Worked out, got an internship that turned into a full time job because I continued to do stuff I liked in my off time that was relevant.
>>
>>18630188

Is med school after 30 viable?

In my country I wouldn't go into debt, but I obviously couldn't work full time and still do night shifts.
>>
I'm really interested in media production/YouTube shit/writing, but I'm going to school for Chemistry (which I also really enjoy). However, if any of the other things I enjoy somehow work out, I'd switch over in a heartbeat. I'm currently trying to learn how to edit videos. Any advice on what else I could be doing and where I could learn editing? As for writing, I'm writing a few spec scripts in my own time already.
>>
>>18630240
>I have my BS in Biochemistry
>Also went to bumfuck nowhere private school

It's not the easiest major but the jobs are there. Just from someone who's gone down the path already, you definitely want to do the following if you get into a reasonable college and go into that.

1) Experience. Hustle your professors and faculty to help volunteer in their labs. Now the work isn't great, often just cleaning stuff. But, this will get you at best publications and at worst a recommendation with something for the resume.
2) Co-op if possible. I didn't volunteer in labs but I did a paid co-op in a research lab. Paid some bills and got a big resume boost. Even though my GPA was in the low 3's, I was still able to get a job in the industry on graduation probably due to the experience.
3) Higher Ed. I haven't gotten my masters yet because I still want to take a crack at going to D.O. school, but I plan to do that if medicine doesn't work out. Get your master's or Ph.D - these will open up the high-paying positions straight out of school whereas you'd have to grind with just your B.S.. In addition, steps 1 and 2 will help you with getting the necessary recs and experience.

Also,since you're going into your senior year, study for your goddamn ACT or SAT. Even if you have to retake 3 or 4 times, those have way more impact than a suspension ever would.
>>
>>18632790
>Should i just apply to a program im interested in at a good school and see where that goes?

Yes. Be open to change and talk to lots of advisors. Lots of people change course for the better. I'd say its encouraged to try different things till you find your groove.

Don't worry about not knowing what you really want to do. I came out of uni still not knowing what I really want to do. But I graduated a year ago and am much more familiar with the job market in my field and slowly getting a better idea of different things I want to try in the field.

It'll take time to figure it out, don't worry too much. Try to enjoy the ride.
>>
>>18633022
Know the field. Research and learn about how others do things. Try volunteering or going to workshops/societies to work on your writing and other skills. Its also a good way to meet others interested in the same things and give you more ideas and approaches to the industry.
>>
How do you go about getting into a niche trade if the only job opening in the area won't take you? My guess is I'd have to wait for them to open up applications again, or look into moving to a different city?
>>
>>18631312
>Really depends on what you focus on in gradschool
So if I want to do something actually related to physics after getting my bachelors, do I absolutely have to go to grad school?
>>
>>18630188
Alright well I am liking this thread and reading over a few comments its helping give me a few ideas.

I hope we can do this kind of thread again cause I have a few questions of my own but I am off to bed to start work early tomorrow.
>>
>>18633165
OP here, I always repost when it dies.
>>
>>18633149
You do not have to but it opens access to higher paid positions. For instance with chemistry, a bachelor's only essentially means you'll be a technician running samples or production to the end of my days. Some companies however will develop these types of workers, others just use them. I am not sure how it works with physics. I think you should consult with a few professors and maybe your departmental undergrad advisor.
>>
Is it possible to force myself to be interested in engineering, or technology in general? I'm considering changing my major to some form of it (for the money). I know it sounds shitty but I really want to do well for myself in the future and I can't think of many ways to do so
>>
File: 1475282760.png (18KB, 101x102px) Image search: [Google]
1475282760.png
18KB, 101x102px
What job options exist if you don't want to go to collge? Besides the military. Working fast food sucks and isn't worth the time
>>
File: 1503009026493.jpg (670KB, 1433x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1503009026493.jpg
670KB, 1433x1430px
So I've been accepted into UB for Computer Engineering. It's a 4 year program that's gonna make me take out loans for years.

Now that it's getting close to D-day, I'm getting cold feet. It really isn't the loan thing that's bothering me; it's the time. I don't have the money to get certified by myself right now but I really want to work with computers.

What should I do? I know that in the field of IT you need certifications, experience, and to know people, over anything; and college was supposed to be sort of a booster as I did workstudies or internships.Getting my foot into companies, so to say. I feel sort of numb from thinking about it so much.
>>
Any anons have anysight on how to get into IT security? I fucked up, and dragging myself halfway through an accounting degree that I hate. I know a couple programming languages and tried to learn the IT stuff on my own time.
>>
>>18633186
Yes you can "force" yourself. Science is the way the world works and if you understand how the world works you see both a practicality and beauty in nature thanks to science. I first got interested in science because of lightning storms growing up and the game masters of Orion. As I was nearing the end of highschool I thought I didn't have much skill at math but I still liked science so I took human anatomy my senior year, shit was really neat to see exactly how the body is put together and how it all comes together to function. Like learning about how a car works but it's you and everyone around. When I got into college I discovered I was good at chemistry but not very interested until I started reading about the possibilities in new materials for novel applications and just building really radical new tiny things. I can't say there's any books I would personally recommend but it's small steps and many gradual influences.
>>
>>18633301
>>18633186
What I'm saying I guess it's the attitude you take towards it. An inquisitive nature and desire to like to know more. But there are areas of science I just do not give a flying fuck about.
>>
>>18633186
In my university in Australia, lots of people seem to study stuff they're not very interested in, but can just 'tolerate', because they just like the career pathways for whatever reason -- this seems to be most prominently the case in engineering and health/medicine departments. Of course, I'm just speaking from what I see as a third party so I don't really know if they are or are not interested in their studies, but it just seems that way to me since the stuff these people actually seem to enjoy do not correlate with their studies in hard science subjects.
>>
>>18633195
Find your way into some niche career or learn a trade
>>
>>18633177
I'm a maths major so I don't know any physics teachers to ask, but I'll try to talk to some academic advisors. Thanks
>>
File: AAA.png (664KB, 865x765px) Image search: [Google]
AAA.png
664KB, 865x765px
What do I do if I have a 2+ year gap on my resume? I got comfortable with NEET lifestyle and now I want out desperately. It's fucking horrific and I want life skills but the employment agencies in Australia are next to a fucking joke.
I'm 20 if that helps. Not particularly sure where I should start as I have a feeling jobs will just ignore my resume the moment they notice.
>>
College starts in less than 2 weeks. During my gap year I tried out this EMT training course and I failed horribly. I can still try it out but that's during the half of this upcoming semester. I also took an English class during summer to move onto the reg ENG 1A.

The thing im interested in is the medical field. Right now im setting up my ed plan in nursing but to be truthful, I dont think im that smart. It's also a hard field to go into and during the gap year, I just felt like I already wasted enough time and couldve been a sophomore.

The prereqs for nursing is pretty hard itself especially during the LVN program. Im afraid that i'll end up failing again and have to push back my goals further into 5-6 years.

I dont know. I just feel like I'd like to do something fast in 3-4 years in the medical field, but Im not all that smart. Classes are approaching.

This is more of a vent but some insight would be cool.
>>
>>18633240
If you're still around check out cybrary and look for help desk or IT support gigs while you gather more experience and certifications. A good set of certs to start with are sec+ network+ and any cisco cirriculum you can get your hands on towards the CCNA. Once you're well rounded like that you can apply directly for security related roles but don't be afraid to apply anyway. If you have the confidence to sell yourself as someone willing to learn they may give you a chance.
>>
File: IMG_2439.jpg (164KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2439.jpg
164KB, 1600x1200px
College or not?

I'm 26 and I'm currently a student in flight school to become a pilot. I keep hearing that getting a degree would be good for the future, but a degree is something I'm very reluctant about. I got out of the military in 2015 and right afterward i tried 1 semester of college. It was a bad experience, I dropped out of all but 1 class, had an overall bad time and just felt a if I was in high school all over again. It sucked. I just don't know if I should go back through all of that shit again
>>
>>18633600
Just say you were in community college living at home, or tell the truth and say you woke up one day and decided you were done being a leach
>>
>>18633600

There is nothing wrong with starting in fast food like McDonalds
>>
>>18633600
Fellow Ausfag here.
My employment agency seemed cool. I was still working at mcdicks and they were pushing for me to get a better job.

Currently up in QLD (from NSW) working a labouring sort of job for a few months to get them off my back.

My advice would be to look for some remote area job just to get you back into working.
Then you can explain ya NEET gap by bullshitting something like took time off to travel, around Aus is smart to avoid being found out by any lack of passport or whatever .
Or you could say a relative was gravely ill and you decided to be a carer for them or something
>>
> In University (Melb uni - ausfag)
> Studying commerce/engineering double degree
> The way the course is structured is that you complete 3 years undergrad of commerce (with breadth subjects in engineering), before doing a 2 years "masters" of engineering
> Initially went to uni with the aim of getting the engineering degree and using commerce to supplement it
> Realize now (almost 2 years in) that I fucking hate engineering and enjoy commerce immensely more

Here's the kicker

> Dad is an engineer himself
> Always trying to get me interested in designing and building stuff even though I have no interest
> Much more interested in mathematics, statistics, finance and economics
> Don't have the heart to tell him I don't want to be an engineer

I know it would be a cool thing to have on CV for future prospects, but I don't think I can put myself through an extra 3 years of engineering study with long hours and difficult subjects for something I hate. But I feel terrible and he'll be disappointed/angry if I drop engineering - like I'm wasting my potential or future or some shit (he doesn't hold a commerce degree in high regard). What do?
>>
>>18634102
I'm this guy

>>18633186
I don't think you can. I tried for a few years to get myself into engineering, but I never truly had a passion for it. There are people in my course who love it, but me and alot of other people like >>18633566 mentioned are slogging through it for the end goal - not for any actual enjoyment.

Try to strike a balance. While I'm not telling you to study art history or anything, if you do something you hate you'll blow your brains out. My workload at university (among other things) contributed to developing anxiety and depression, so do something you find interesting and fulfilling.
>>
>>18630188
Are there any Canada Anons here that can tell me about their school? Why you choose it or which you think is best?
>>
>>18634102
drop it, its your life not his. he might be upset for a bit but you will still be studying a lucrative subject so he will get over it. if you arent interested in something at all at best you can be average, if you study something you actually like you can excel. don't settle
>>
>>18633961
Thanks anon, don't think I can handle another 500 tax returns
>>
So, I have about 2 years experience in IT (business analytics). The big issue is, I haven't finished my bachelor's, only did 2 out of the 3 years in physics.
Also, I'm "eastern european", but EU.

Anyway, lately I've been thinking of moving out of the country and finding a job in my field abroad, but probably after gaining an additional year or two of work experience.

Lately, after some discussions with my friends, New Zealand seems like a neat place to try, although it might be easier within the EU because of the whole free movement of people, easier contracts, etc. Here, Austria or France come to mind.

Anyway, people from those respective countries, how realistic/easy is it for a foreigner with no bachelor's, but with 3-5 years of work experience to get a job in your country?
>>
I have a b.s in cj but i'm not sure what to do with it yet. I'm not really good at anything and i haven't been able to keep a job for a long period of time. I start this new job in security soon but i'm scared to death. I just want to help my parents but somehow i manage to screw it up by making a mistake or something. I don't even know what my passions are really. I'm going by what my parents tell me. What am i suppose to do? I'm 26 so i feel like i still got time to improve.
>>
>>18630240
If its just for the money then do the hvac.

University is stressful as fuck and heres the thing they dont teach ya in highschool.

All jobs are bullshit and the higher up you go the more bullshit you deal with. I had a management position where i had more responsibilities than humanly possible, and i could be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars or even go to jail over shit that was legit not my fault.

I turned to trades and refuse any superviser position. The foremen all deal with the shit i used to. I recognize the signs of unravelling well, and im very in tune to the fact my foremen are destroyed messes of human beings because of all the shit on their shoulders.

Youll have university debt in a highly competitive field that you might end up sucking at and youll always be competing for jobs and grants for your work.

If you actually like biochemistry, do the hvac, and start a youtube channel, even if just for your friends, doing all kinds of bio chemistry demonstrations.

Or use your hvac money to have your own lab at home and do your own work. You can totally learn this shit on your own if youre super disciplined and determined.
>>
>>18634108
University of Guelph. Went because its a top tier school. Did arts program. Waste of time and money.

But i got a few old friends from there doing agriculture, engineering, landscaping, two of my exes are a PhD toxicologist and an epidemiologist.

If youre looking for more obscure medicine related stuff like above, or vetrinary science, thats the place to go.
>>
>>18635715
I actually just went on a tour of guelph. how do you think about Poli-Sci or History Programs there?
>>
>>18635817
Thats what i took nigguh!
Poli sci and history.

Anyway great programs, the professors are chill af, good crowd.

Wont get you shit for a career though.
>>
I'm 22 and I just graduated with a degree in computer science and started working as a software developer at a finance company. The job is alright and pays decent (70k), but I know I don't want to be a salary man my whole life. I have a deep feeling that I need to break out of the 9-5 asap. I am very interested in starting my own businesses or getting into real estate/investing. I have a lot of ambition but I just don't have an exact idea of how I'm gonna break out of this lifestyle.
>>
Really so you enjoyed it? Ever thought about teaching? Btw im also considering Criminal Justice and Law, seems more employable in stuff like LE you know?
>>
>>18635909
sorry its for that>>18635932
>>
>>18635932
Yeah go with the second and you can take history and poli sci to fill your electives. Then you can study what you enjoy while working to something good.

>consider teaching

Fuck no.

Im fine i got a nice trades gig making more than average and i have virtually no responsibility or job stress.
>>
>>18630188
Alright so I was at one point learing IT but had to drop out do to bad experince with prescribed meds. (for another story)

Well being 28 now, I been struggling trying to push myself to get back into motion of learning some IT and especcially programming. Its just not clicking well anymore and I get frustrated not sure if I can do what I wanted to in the first place anymore.

What other careers can I take on that pay well. I thought about HVAC or Electrical, or something that pays damn well and I can possibly get trade training .
As a side note I like to try to draw digitally and animate. I also do 3D modeling and animation. This is mostly for fun but if I did get good enough and got a job somewhere doing this I would consider taking it on as a career. But its mostly just for fun now.
>>
Doing some good here let's get this back to the top
>>
I really want to have job in animation, and I know a bunch of guys that work for animation companies. I haven't really asked about the pay. But I've been hearing the pay isn't well, should I just give up on that dream and look and the job market and see what is in high demand.
>>
>>18630631
Dunning-krueger effect. The majority of people cannot pass an algebra class. How old are you? You seem deeply concerned with what appears to be an insignificant (though not ignorable) incident.
>>
>>18634850
In my country (The Netherlands), you can easily get into a traineeship if you can prove you have some affinity with IT. You'll get worse pay for a year or two but you can get a certificate from an applied university or other valuable certificates. However, I think they prefer hiring people who speak Dutch.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.