[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>hire in to university as general IT (helpdesk, basic hardware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1460440542792.jpg (154KB, 557x595px) Image search: [Google]
1460440542792.jpg
154KB, 557x595px
>hire in to university as general IT (helpdesk, basic hardware support, etc.)
>apparently do real good at the job, win an award from it and most people at least know me from it/my boss defending and bragging about me
>have been painfully quiet towards most, if not outright awkward (it's not so bad lately, but near the beginning it got kind of bad)
>boss decides I'm good at project management tasks, offers me to work under him, accept
>start doing it, am enjoying it a fair amount and it's helping me open up more, but also feel it's going to hinder me big time just having spent the past 7 months barely talking with anyone
>like, most people in the office just mess around and get along, I'm awkwardly out-of-the-loop socially, but from what I feel most people like actually working with me

I don't know, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but how can I work towards getting along with my co-workers? I'm going to be delegating work to them, and basically hinging my job off of theirs, so I feel I need to get along with them and really gain some social skills.

Has anyone ever worked with a "quiet" supervisor, and what did you like/dislike about them? Any tips for opening up and getting along with them?
>>
>>18629960
sink or swim bitch nigga, if you can't handle the bants someone else will
>>
>>18629963
>>18629963
I can handle it, just can't produce it I guess. Hell my boss and I will just walk up to someone and call them an asshole, which devolves into some joking name-calling, and by the end of it we're flicking each other off and somehow acquired all the info we needed. It's stuff like that I can't keep up on.

And what do you mean someone else will handle it?
>>
There's nothing wrong with being the quiet, serious one OP. You just have to show that you're friendly as well, smiling, looking out for them, when they're talking to you, show that your listening through your body language and ask questions. If you can pull that off you'll be a more pleasant person to be around.

Also I'm starting my first IT help desk job next week. Any tips OP? I'm seriously unqualified but I got hired.
>>
>>18630027
I feel I do that, but still it feels weird just not.. connecting with everyone.

What helped me was generally doing what I'm told accurately, as well as having solid customer service skills (being polite/professional, showing that you're there to help with your skills, etc.) helped a lot. Help Desk is pretty broad, but at least here it involves lots of memorizing of policies/documented fixes, so be prepared and definitely inform yourself in your free time.

I can't stress the "accurately" aspect of things, doing things wrong tends to generate lots more work in IT, so just do things at whatever speed is comfortable to you, and get it done right
>>
this is the only IT related thread here at the moment and I already asked on /g/..
I work in IT and need to complete a project resolving around file servers (in the course of the project set one up as well). I need to really spice this project up but do not know how to do that. E.g. I would like to add more "decision making" to the project, comparing hardware, performance analysis maybe.

As you guys work with IT as well, do have any ideas what some interesting topics around file servers are that an intern could elaborate / develop in a project?
>>
Consider that maybe you being out of the loop is part of the reason you were picked to manage others.

Either way don't worry to much if you are getting promoted you must be doing good
>>
You work for government, shit don't really matter.
>>
do you feel comfortable messing around and being social with your co-workers, or do you think that partaking in the behavior would be unbecoming of you? it seems like the issue isn't really awkwardness, it's just unwillingness.

just because you're good at your job doesn't mean you will connect with your co-workers. if you got chosen to do management stuff and are getting accolades for doing well, then you probably stand out, and it's no surprise that you struggle to relate with some of them on a bro-worker level.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.