[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to grow thicker skin?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1464163360818.jpg (45KB, 660x607px) Image search: [Google]
1464163360818.jpg
45KB, 660x607px
As title suggest, what can I do to grow thicker skin in terms of my emotional or mental reaction to being insulted or made fun of or being embarrassed.

Im open minded and like discussion yet the mass amount of brain dead hypocrites, people unwilling to accept an alternative view, ad hominem users and etc. rustle my jimmies and often invoke a more sad and disappointed feeling in me, in the sense that people truly cannot come to be civilized in terms of discussing topics or result to abusing people based of views, whether it be social, political or whatever.

If possible I would like to be able to shut off my emotions and be emotionless in a sense with exception to feelings of pleasure, love, happiness etc.

Any advice?

>inb4 cry more snowflake
Call me what you wish, I'm not a "triggered snowflake" I just seek advice on how to get better in this field as I truly believe as time goes on, civil discussion will become obsolete as already in my life I'm yet to be able to talk with people who can discuss civilized and rationally without the need of ad hominems and outlandish behavior.
>>
Really think out what your principles are. Cognisize it and say it aloud. Obviously you don't like it when you beta bitch out when people talk down at you so make it a principle that real men don't show weakness or something like that.

Right now your emotional response is tied to giving you negative feedback when you get in hostile conversations. You need to rewire it so you get a bigger negative feedback when you act like a little faggy cuck whenever someone yells at you or whatever.

Really give yourself shit about it whenever your emotional knee jerk reaction doesn't align with your principles. Trample all over yourself, distress your psyche.

Eventually the part of your brain that avoids negative emotions will recalibrate to avoid breaking your principles instead of making your fear aggressive conversation.
>>
Thick skin doesn't exist. You just need to be more desensitized. Stick around 4chan a bit more and make some posts about topics you know nothing about so people can call you out on being retarded.

Also, kys.
>>
>>18628159
For me it worked when i started to try step back and try not to say anything, just keeping my mouth shut when i get angry over something.
It worked wonders when after a while i got this realy nice self-control.

I also stoped getting anoyed by stupid insignificant stuff, while realy keeping my head cool on bigger problems.

Also when i argue with someone i cant tell you how much you can piss someone off when you are not giving a flying fuck about what they say,especialy when you wait while they scream their head off and you still respond in calm voice what you think.
Derails them hard.

Also when i see something im anoyed, i just move along.Aint nobody has time fo dat.

Im not perfect but i think i achieved a little bit of that thick skin in that mind-selfcontrol i tryed out myself. Its all in your head and your thoughts realy.

Hope it helps.
>>
>>18628159
You can never have thick skin, you just have to learn how to disassociate their insults from yourself. Most insults roll off me like water, even if they are targeted about my features. Only one that still gets me is if they make fun of my ears but I always snap about it so most people know not to do that
>>
You sound like an extremist.
In the sense that you will either go full psychopathic on someone for insulting you/making fun of you or being someones doormat.
Id suggest that if you cant find a middle between the two, just stay what you are because being a doormat is many times worse i assure you.
>>
>>18628327
>don't be a doormat
Obviously, but you may also need to increase your self esteem. Thick skin is irrelevant. What you need is pride, which means that you need to accomplish things that make you think you're worth while.
>>
>>18628159
>If possible I would like to be able to shut off my emotions and be emotionless in a sense with exception to feelings of pleasure, love, happiness etc.

Not happening mate, stop following an impossible dream.

>Im open minded and like discussion yet the mass amount of brain dead hypocrites, people unwilling to accept an alternative view, ad hominem users and etc.

How can you enjoy discussion when you don't respect other people? Either you are a narcissist, or you have such a low self esteem that you need to put people down to build yourself up. And neither is a healthy way to live.
>>
File: 1501247482381.jpg (52KB, 723x542px) Image search: [Google]
1501247482381.jpg
52KB, 723x542px
>>18628175
I wouldn't say bitching out personally as i still take opinions into consideration but It terms of personal feeling I'm probably more affected by verbal abuse than physical (probably due to how it was when I was growing up). However, I don't react negatively or in response to being insulted it just takes deeper root in me and is quite upsetting but doesn't stop me pushing my views.

Still I understand your point and will take this into great consideration.

>>18628219
Yeah, I have become quite desensitized through browsing here though but I guess browsing longer does change you .

>>18628293
Thanks anon I'll definetly try this. I usually try to inform people of how theyr e wrong and present with facts especially in political or social issues though I usually end up speaking with liberal minded people who result to identity politics or insults, in political or social conversations.

other than that, other people just don't like to be wrong and attack others who threaten there view point. I guess just holding back will benefit me more. I'll give it a try, ty.

>>18628301
Fair enough, I'll try do that for sure. Maybe it's more of a deep rooted problem with myself that makes me more susceptible. ty
>>
>>18628301
I'd like to see you try to snap at me, Dumbo
>>
Agree and amplify/disagree and amplify. People laughed at me being virgin at 21 and I said I am not, sorry, my ass is torn and I can't sit. It stopped almost immediately.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.