[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coming here because I want to post in /pol/ or b 2.0 Is it so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: wall.jpg (8KB, 310x162px) Image search: [Google]
wall.jpg
8KB, 310x162px
Coming here because I want to post in /pol/ or b 2.0

Is it so hard to say that its not racist to say that its wrong for the US government to take down confederate statues on the basis of not forgetting history? I dont want the usa to be like germany who totally ignores the years of 1939-1945.
>>
They don't ignore it. It's taught very clearly in schools.
I don't like their laws, but Holocaust denial is illegal, and it's illegal to display/collect/whatever nazi stuff.
They don't pretend it didn't happen. Most of the statues and whatnot were gone within a few years of the war ending, not like here.
As for the statues here, a significant portion of them were put up decades after the fact, between the 40s and 60s, as a dickwaving reminder that 'hey we owned you, and were still better than you.'
I'm all for putting them in museums, no reason to destroy art, whether you agree with the subject matter or not.
>>
>>18627125
It's not forgetting history. Confederate flags are in museums and historically accurate reenactments. They have no place being on the capitol building

What would happen if Germany's capitol had the Nazi flag because of muh history
>>
>>18627125
There is a big difference between acknowledging the dark past and celebrating it or, worse, using it as a mask for modern extremism.

Moreover, time and cultural changes can invest symbols with meanings they didn't originally have. In the 1970s the "patriotic right" pro-Vietnam War side kidnapped the American flag, making it a symbol of anti-hippie, anti-protest, anti-youth anger, and it took a while for the flag to regain its meaning of unity and patriotism of all forms.

The Confederate flag may mean "pride in heritage" to some, but you can't escape the fact that it also signified "continued racism" to many.

Personally, I'm not as bothered by a statue of a Confederate general as I am by KKK robes, but I can see that many could be.
>>
There's a difference between remembering history and erecting grand statues of traitors in town squares, parks, and munuments as if they were heroes. Mind you this happens almost exclusively in the south and nowhere else. History is in countless books and at countless museums and as long as they remain, nothing about the civil war will be forgotten. These statues are symbols of hatred and possibly the ultimate failure in this country, nothing more.
>>
There's a difference between erasing history by removing things from books, and taking down sculptures that commemorate (read: support) a part of history and ideaology and culture that is not widely approved of anymore.

Yeah, Confederacy and the Civil War happened. But it's no more wrong to remove sculptures that people no longer approve of than buildings that people no longer use. It's not history erasure. It's just making it so your art doesn't celebrate that time period anymore.

Now, if people burned books, censored teachers, and denied that it ever happened? That's erasure.
>>
>>18627163
Yeah I think I would be ok with putting it into museums.

I did forget about that a lot of them were done after the fact. yeah those deserve to go down.

>it's illegal to display/collect/whatever nazi stuff.
>holocaust denial is illegal
thats way too far. Thats taking away rights.(another thing that irks me about the protests which, is a whole other thread)
>>18627170
ofc I am talking about the charlotteville thing so I dont know the specific history of the robert E. Lee statue. I just have a little feeling of slippery slope.

I am with you on the fact that I am not bothered by confederate generals. but am bothered by KKK clan hats and the confederate flags people have.

>>18627172
>only happened in the south
maybe thats because they actually hated the union at one point to actually secede and fight it.
>>
>>18627203
I can't speak to the illegality of Holocaust denial, but the German folks who live next to me have said it's basically that it's feared people will fetishize it and end up radicalizing themselves.
>>
>>18627215
well germany still have a racism problem so that doesnt really help
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.