[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are ISPs really this shitty?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4109.png (381KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4109.png
381KB, 500x500px
I've got an online friend who claims that his internet goes out for days at a time because of shitty service from Charter. That sounds like the kind of shit I might have expected in 2005, but as much as I hate Comcast I don't think my internet has gone down thanks to them for the better part of a decade. I'm tempted to believe him since he's cut in and out mid conversation before, but no internet for days sounds almost unbelievable. I'm wondering if he's just avoiding me. We aren't in an ldr, and I don't think I've be pushy or needy since he initiates most of our convos, but he probably realizes that I've gotten pretty attached to him. He mentioned he would be in town soon and interested in meeting up, so I've been bugging him for dates and selfies. Maybe he's trying to avoid that? It's less than a week from the time he said he'd be in town and he's been offline for 5 days, even though I suggested the mobile app for when he can't log in. If feeling a little stood up. What do you think? Is Charter really that awful or is he avoiding me? Or is he just shitty at the internet and he's wrong about the reason it's down?
>>
>>18626490
1) You sound kind of manic right now, which points to this being more of a "you" problem than an actual interpersonal problem. People don't pull weird conspiracies to "avoid" you or whatever. If they don't want to talk to you they just won't, and will maybe make an excuse about it later (which is not as much of a big deal as you seem to be taking it).

2) If he's really having problems with his internet it's probably ineptitude with managing his modem/router and not Charter literally being out for days at a time multiple times a month. If he wanted to fix it, it would be very easy for him to learn how to do so (probably just needs to unplug the thing and plug it back in), but if he were going to do so he would have by now. So he probably likes it this way, for some reason.

I'd suggest just cooling it. You're not going to get him to change his behavior. You need to decide if you want to put up with it, or if you want to set a boundary and say (for example) "sorry I need more notice if you want to meet up" and see if he can respect that or not. If he doesn't, then you're not compatible and that's the end of the story.
>>
>>18626532
I'm a little wound up about it since I've been waiting for this meetup for months and my virginity might be on the line. Now I fucked up my own computer and I'm going to be touch and go with the mobile app for a few days so I'm worried I'll miss him. I don't know why he would feel the need to make excuses since I've never been needy about it before, just commenting that he had been away for a while. I guess he probably is just wrong about Charter.
>>
>>18626584
Maybe he's nervous about meeting up or doesn't want to for some reason, but is nervous about telling you. You're saying sex is a possibility, so I could definitely understand him getting cold feet about that. If that's the case, it's probably about him and not you. He might be dealing with something else right now and not want to drag you into it or explain it to you.

Your best bet is to make sure he knows how to contact you if he wants to, and to not push him into it so much that it scares him away. I've never met someone I knew online with expectations of sex, but even in friends-only situations I have felt very uncomfortable when people push too hard or seem too invested in it. You should play it cool but friendly. Be open and inviting but not pushy or demanding. If he calms his nerves or gets whatever else he's dealing with over with, he'll reach out.
>>
ISPs are absolutely that bad sometimes, but so are internet "friends", sometimes
>>
>>18626838
Definitely.
I have ghosted on internet people for much longer than 5 days at a time before. Usually because I was dealing with my own shit that I didn't want to mention to people who were otherwise my "escape" from it.
>>
>>18626490
if you use a lot of data they will give you shitty service, like video gaming
>>
>>18626490

I heard a lot of similar shit about Charter when I was in St Louis (they're the monopoly for a lot of the city), so it seems possible.

I've also definitely had to be AFK for > 5days though - between work being shitty and prepping for a trip, he might just be too busy to be online
>>
Service cutting out is nothing unheard of. I've never seen days at a time, but my grandparents neighborhood for example loses their internet access every single day around 4 PM ish. They use Comcast

I wouldn't be surprised if your friend is telling the truth. I guess I understand your suspicions but if this is a lie it's a pretty well thought out one for how realistic it is. I've also heard from people I used to play TF2 with that charter is one of the worst ISPs out there
>>
>>18626490
Yeah no, no way their internet cuts out for DAYS at a time, it's common for shitty third world ISPs to cut out pretty often,(especially during peak hours) but having no service for days at a time isn't really a thing. If anything he would have called his ISP to get that issue fixed, and the ISP would have at least pretended to do something / sent out a tech.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.