[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Supposing you're earning an average wage. 20-30'000 euro a year or so.

How much should you be keeping as disposable income?

Like how much do you have in the bank right now?

What do you do with the rest?
>>
>>18625125
>euro
>bank
I'd recommend tethering your assets to something with real value like your picture instead of your monopoly money
>>
>>18625143
Ok but for like the disposable part of your income. Like how much do you keep ready to spend?
Have you actually converted your money to gold?
>>
>>18625125
How much can you afford to save? That's the real question. Just make a basic budget. Start with your income post-taxes, subtract basic living expenses without food (accommodation, electricity, etc.), see how much you have left. From there, figure out a reasonable amount to spend on food. If you already spend reasonably (i.e. you don't eat out every day) then just use that figure and subtract that.

What you've got left is what you've got to spend on leisure and savings. How much you want to save depends on a variety of factors. How much savings do you have currently? Close to 0? Then try and save most of that money. At the very least you should aim to have enough money to support yourself without a job for 6 months. Ideally you'd have enough for 12 months. This covers your ass incase you lose your job and can't find another one.

From there think about how much per year you'd need to save to afford retirement (in a cheap rural town) by the age of 55 or 60. Now, you don't have to save exactly that much - your income will likely increase over time - but at least aim for somewhere within the ballpark. You don't want to be working forever.
>>
>>18625735
To further my explanation, I know you already gave your average income, but I have no idea of your actual expenses in whatever country you live in. The cost of living in London is a lot higher than the cost of living in some shitty little town in Eastern Europe.
>>
>>18625125
I live in a country with average of 3500 e on a good year. Kek
>>
>>18625125
You're asking what to do with free income? You should think about how *you* want to spend your free income. Take aspects of your own life into your consideration.

Do you have a parent who takes care of emergencies? Are you going to make dramatically more in the future? Do you have a dependent to spend money on? Do you have home and car repairs to spend a significant amount of money on?

Personally, my *freed up* budget is simple:
Save 50 percent - this can go towards car repairs, broken glasses, failing refrigerator, school books, etc.
Spend 25 percent - this is to have a life. I might spend this money on something like ingredients to make a good meal, or maybe to buy something like an article of clothing or a vinyl record.
Spend 25 percent on others - this includes birthdays, lunch with friends, dates with people I'm fucking, and so on.

So here's an example of budgeting

Month of Sept:
Landlord, $600
T-Mobile, $50
Food, $150
Misc, $40
Google, $2
Transit, $80
YMCA, $30
Total: $900 (approx)

So if I make $1700 this month, then I have $800 remaining

$400 goes to savings
$200 goes to fun stuff
$200 goes to social life

A young person's SAVINGS should not be much different than an old person's savings, but since it is significantly less money, and there are significantly less earnings, then it will be sometimes spent up entirely. People touch their savings for important reasons like: paying debts, paying for school, paying for medical procedures, paying for repairs and other vital purchases. I think people are even allowed to go into their retirement funds for school and medical procedures without penalty.

questions?
>>
>>18625792
If I started making dramatically more money, I would definitely adjust my percentages.

Let's say I start making $3000 instead of $1700. -$900 that's $2100

so
$1050 goes to savings? sounds reasonable enough
$525 spent on fun stuff? sounds a bit excessive
$525 spent on social life? okay hell no

SO now we're going to readjust the percentages

60% on savings
30% on self
10% on others

so that's

$1200 towards savings
$630 on fun
$210 towards others

much better!
>>
>>18625814
come to think of it

70% on savings
20% on self
10% on others

sounds the most reasonable. I wouldn't have really known this unless I got a calculator and played with the percentages a bit
>>
In burgerland I've always been told 10% of whatever's leftover after you pay all your bills/necessities. This is advice given to poor fags straight out of college though, when most of their income is going to pay off their massive student loan debt. If you make decent money you can probably afford to splurge on yourself a little more, especially so if you've already got a good amount in savings for emergencies already.

Me personally I save every extra penny I get because I have next to nothing in savings and as I stand right now if my car bites the dust I'll basically have to kill myself because I cannot afford a new car and I need a car to work to afford a new car.
Alternatively if I chop my arm off I'd probably just say I had a good run and let myself bleed out because I'll never afford even the ambulance ride to the hospital.
>>
>>18625848
>save 10%
maybe if you make 100k, spend 2.5k on your mortgage each month, and consider your savings something that you wouldn't touch if you were stranded in the desert

otherwise no be reasonable and don't spend 90% of what you fucking make
>>
>>18625862
oh and if you have a ton of dependents and a wife that will leave you if you don't wear a nice watch
>>
>>18625125

Oh wow, say my income suddenly doubled.

>pay off school debt
>build nest egg
>move out
>then start worrying about numbers later, except there won't be any worry because the debts are paid and I'm living on my own which has always been relatively easy/cheap for me
>>
>>18625862
I think you misunderstood me
10% of whatever's LEFT OVER after everything that's important is paid. Bills, loans, food, gas, etc. Say after I pay everything off that month I'm left with 100 bucks for the simplicity of math's sake. 10 of that is for whatever the fuck I wanna spend it on, the other 90 is savings. I'm saying 10% goes to your disposable income, the fun money. not 10% goes into savings.

Again, this is the advice given mostly to kids straight out of college who likely don't have any savings left and need to rebuild. Like me.
Like I said, I don't even have an emergency fund right now, if I get sick I'm FUCKED. Can't afford a doctor, that's why I put 100% of whatever I have leftover back into savings.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.