[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Therapy Be Used Against Me Legally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1481505000863.gif (936KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
1481505000863.gif
936KB, 600x337px
I have severe social anxiety, I can't talk to anyone and as a result have 0 friends and no social life. As a result I'm becoming very depressed. But attending therapy scares me because in not sure if it can be used against me. My job requires that I be mentally sound, and being from the south my favorite pasttime is target shooting. I want to cure my anxiety but I dont want to jeopardise my career or something I'm really passionate about.

Or is there an alternative to therapy to work on social anxiety?
>>
>>18623961
7cups of tea.

try reading books, googling anxiety issues 1000 different ways, and generally whatever you can think of to try before getting a therapist, because your gut instinct is right and it's a bad idea.
>>
You don't have to mention your career or shooting hobby.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal for psychologists to reveal personal information about their patients in almost all first world countries
>>
>>18623961
go see a competent therapist. not sure of the fact uou attend therapy can be used against you for work or guns, maybe some other yank can weigh in, but it would be the smart thing to do if you're getting worse.

also, give one of these audio courses a shot: http://www.effectivelearning.com/shop/category/anxiety/
>>
>>18623961
The only way a therapist can use something against you is if they believe you are a threat to yourself or another. Merely target shooting does not constitute a threat to others.
>>
>>18623961
The fact that you don't trust therapists already says a lot about your mental state. Have you had any experiences of a friend or family member who had his therapeutic sessions used against them?
I do recommend seeing a therapist, though. There's a lot you can't see about yourself and if it's a good therapist it's rare that they have never dealt with someone like you, so they'll have a good idea about what's right for you. Also from the sound of it medication can help you a lot, and you'll need a therapist to get a prescription (at least in my country). Look online, there should be databases listing and reviewing different therapists in your area. See if you can find some testimonials, and make an appointment with several practices. The first session is non-binding, you'll only touch lightly on your situation and will give you a chance to see if you like them. If they move too fast for you, let them know. If they try to rush you anyway or seem to be trying to rope you into something you don't want, don't come back.
I know you might be hesitant to share your story with multiple people you will never see again, but trust me when I say that whatever has happened in your life, therapists have heard much worse.
Think of it as your first exercise to fight your social anxiousness and consider them professional talking partners
>>
>>18624041
Its not necessarily that I don't trust the therapists its just that Ive seen some peers pushed out of their positions by higher ups digging up things from their pasts and using it against them (DUIs and Drugs specifically) I guess you could say I'm afraid of bureaucracy being used against me.

>>18624008
Thanks for that link anon, Ill check it out
>>
>>18623985
Going against my instincts does seem like a big mistake, but youre right I would like to exhaust all alternatives first.
>>
>>18624063
That is a much more valid problem. This stuff is sadly unfounded and unfair because a lot of men who should visit therapy don't and the decision to actually attend already says a lot about the dedication to wanting to get better.
I myself am really wary on how to mention my gap between universities during job interviews where I spent years trying to recover from depression, but it's usually best to be honest while keeping details to an absolute minimum - if it's possible, don't bring it up, but don't lie when being asked about it. Burnout is quite frequent among highly demanding jobs, and those are usually followed by therapy sessions and recovery periods, so it's not like the workplace is unfamiliar with therapy. Do you already work or are you in the process of applying?
>>
>>18624090
I'm working right now, just not in the field I went to school for. I'm still applying for my trade and trying to get my foot in the door. Post-interview and apart from dealing with managers/supervisors my anxiety doesn't really affect my performance since I'm a pretty thorough person and can balance tasks fairly well.
>>
>>18624129
It's a bit of a coin toss and might just come down to how sympathetic your interviewer is. Unless you're 100% sure your affliction will never affect your performance (which I doubt), denying any problems would be the best choice, but you can't be dishonest about this otherwise. I can really understand if staff management doesn't want to deal with a new hire who may or may not have to leave soon after due to psychological issues, but you could also have a more understanding HR department that will gauge your performance first and decide if your depression really is a hindrance.
In either case, however, I still believe seeing a therapist is the best option because unless you have some really paranoid and controlling employers they won't find out about it unless you tell them - at which point you probably don't want to work there anyway.
If anything, I'd say a depression that isn't being dealt with is far more of a red flag to an interviewer, and if you're socially awkward you probably can't hide that from someone who has to evaluate people on a regular basis.
Does your work require a lot of communication and cooperation?
>>
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/see-a-psychologist-lose-your-guns-chl.268799/

Dude I have a friend whose literally been chased by the cops multiple times on multiple man hunts (he had a good lawyer and had the charges reduced to misdemeanors) and another who was a combat vet with severe PTSD who sees a therapist and both can still legally purchase guns. The only way you MIGHT get into gun trouble is if you're talking about murdering people and shooting mass numbers of people like all the time to your therapist.
>>
>>18624041
>The fact that you don't trust therapists already says a lot about your mental state.
Nice meme.
>medication can help you a lot
Even nicer meme.

Therapists don't care about you. Trusting them is retarded.
If it's an issue with your life, you're likely a better arbiter of what needs to change than a random asshole in a chair.
And if it's something that "requires" medication, well, that often fucks with you far harder than the original problem did in the long term. Too big of a risk to take, if you ask me.
>>
>>18624272
Brag about your trust issues somewhere else. If you want to monologue about how you think everyone is an asshole and it's just you vs the world, I'm sure there's some subreddit with plenty of upvotes waiting for you.

Still, there is a point in medication altering your life and making it harder to function without (I'm really set on my daily dose of sleeping meds, too little and I can only sleep for 3 hours, too much and I'm tired all day), but you can ween it off with professional assistance. When I switched to a different type of antidepressant, about a week later I was jittering really bad to the point where I couldn't eat soup because I couldn't keep the spoon still enough. Turns out I'm one of those few that can't work with that type of medication, so when I went off it the shaking stopped. But I certainly wouldn't go back to no medicine at all, I feel far better than I did a few years ago.
>>
>>18624306
>I'll tell him to go to reddit and jump to conclusions, that'll surely discredit his argument

Nice try. But no, it was advice, not bragging. I also don't think everyone is a terrible person. I don't even necessarily think therapists are shit people. But they are literally paid to pretend to care about someone's problems and toss out meds left and right. Psychology is a meme.

As for meds? Life-long dependency is a great way to be bound to the Big Pharma. You like that, great, but stop recommending people to willingly shackle their brains with chemicals like it's an objectively good choice for everyone. You have no fucking clue how many people I know who ended up wrecks due to antidepressants and antipsychotics.

And what if there's no way to get more meds? How's that dependency gonna go for you then?
>>
Does therapy really help? From what I've heard despite tons of reviews it is some sort of homeopathy-like treatment, sounds like an insane meme. I would like to visit a therapist and be checked for depression. If so, is there any difference between male and female therapist?
>>
>>18624354
There's two kinds of therapy.

One where they match you with something from a book filled with half-baked theories on how the brain works and prescribe some meds that fuck with yours, in a way they hope will counteract the way it's already fucked. Sometimes with horrible results, almost always with dependency.

The second way is essentially the therapist walking you through the mental processes necessary to realize what is wrong with your life and how to fix it while charging retarded sums of money and taking ages to do so. Said time and money is better spent on self-reflection and taking steps to fix your life yourself, as nobody knows you as well as you - sure, you can't be fully critical of yourself, but therapists don't do criticism because it might hurt your feelings, so who gives a shit.

Just take some time to figure out why you're not satisfied with your life. Is it lack of success in some area? Being hung up on mistakes you've made? Just a poor self-image? Once you identify the cause, you can try methods of dealing with it and see what works.

You don't need to pay some random person to do it with you unless you lack the discipline to avoid sliding into becoming complacent in your problems.

And to be honest, once you start seeing results, it doesn't even take that much discipline, because you'll be too happy about the improvement for it to take conscious effort.
>>
>>18624341
>But they are literally paid to pretend to care about someone's problems and toss out meds left and right.
That's like saying doctors are paid to pretend to care about their patient's health. Besides, therapists aren't even allowed to prescribe medicine, you need a doctor for that.
And why would he suddenly not be allowed to get meds? No doctor would suddenly cut him off, and even if they did that's a solid case for malpractice.
>>
>>18624471
>what is any end-of-the-world scenario
Things won't always be this "easy"
>>
>>18624063
>(DUIs and Drugs specifically)
That shit is on a public police record.
Going to see a therapist is not.
>>
>>18624341
Therapists do not prescribe meds, you silly cunt; psychiatrists do.

Stop misrepresenting what it is they do. The meme here is your wilful misunderstanding and obtuseness, fucko.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.