[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one become a good man?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Beato 152.png (510KB, 519x677px) Image search: [Google]
Beato 152.png
510KB, 519x677px
How does one become a good man?
>>
>>18623959
By having this goal consistently: "Be better today than I was yesterday." Reading philosophy also helps. Shit like Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics and Plato's Five Dialogues.
>>
>>18623959
When your conscience is clear.

You may be weighed down by guilt. but as long as you have not acted out of spite and/or selfishness, you'll be okay.
>>
File: t3_6tnpwm.jpg (246KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
t3_6tnpwm.jpg
246KB, 900x1600px
Start as a good boy,
Proceed to a super good boy.
Reach level 35 and don't press B to cancel the animation.

also, animals may inadvertently make you a better human.
>>
>>18623963
Thanks. I need to read more. As of now I am borderline illiterate. But I still have to ask, will books be my best resource for this type of thing? What I mean is: Can I learn how to be a good man through social means, by simply learning important lessons from other people?

>>18623964
Interesting point. What in your life made you value the importance of a clean conscience?
>>
>>18623979
>Thanks. I need to read more. As of now I am borderline illiterate. But I still have to ask, will books be my best resource for this type of thing? What I mean is: Can I learn how to be a good man through social means, by simply learning important lessons from other people?

That would imply trust, for the most part. I'm not saying that it isn't possible to be a good person by following someone else's teachings, but if you don't know WHY following those teachings are a good thing, you can still be manipulated. The books that I listed aren't really full of lessons. They are full of questions. For example, I could try and define what "knowledge," is, and what you need to do in order to achieve knowledge, but that doesn't answer the question, and coming to your own answer. Likely, you will never be able to truly define knowledge, but you will be able to define what knowledge ISN'T, and you'll be all the better for it.

This is the only subject of Plato's book Theaetetus (not part of the Five Dialogues, but takes place immediately before the Five Dialogues).
>>
>>18623979
This guy again: >>18623994

If you ARE looking for a step-by-step instruction manual on how to be a good person, rather than coming to the conclusion yourself, I would recommend Kaliil Gibran's The Prophet.
>>
>>18623994
>>18624000
So you are saying to apply logic to the task of self-improvement? That's what I gathered from the idea of defining things by narrowing down the possibilities of what they may be, if that's what you meant. Anyways, this is what I have been trying to do, but recently I've had a problem with the already hazy idea of "being a good man". It seems like I lack a way to sense things that more mature men are able to perceive. That is also why I asked about learning things socially. And, like you said, there is the problem of manipulation, but maybe one should consider that just another risk involved in developing better social skills? I don't know.

Also thanks again for the reading suggestions, I'll take a look at them.
>>
>>18624027
>It seems like I lack a way to sense things that more mature men are able to perceive.
That comes with both experience and introspection, although philosophy can speed up both considerably.

>That is also why I asked about learning things socially.
To learn about morals and ethics socially is to inherently trust that a society knows what is right and wrong. The end result of that typically leads to either religious fanaticism or war (either civil or between two nations).
>>
>>18624029
>To learn about morals and ethics socially is to inherently trust that a society knows what is right and wrong.
Hm, couldn't you possibly apply the same idea used to analyze biases in text to also understand bias in social situations? What I mean by bringing up something seemingly random such as text interpretation is that often times one can read about strong opinions from different sources in order to get a better idea of the overall picture. Is it not possible to do the same with people, but this time around replacing "sources" with different social circles, groups or whatever have you? Perhaps your social standing would take a toll from this if other people start viewing you as lacking integrity by associating with varying groups, but that's the only thing I can think of.
>>
>>18624047
I would argue that if someone is telling you how to live or what to do, they are biased. I've given recommendations based on that if that is what you wish, in the form of easy lessons with sound logic, even to a skeptical mind. I've also recommended what I find to be superior: texts that don't give lessons, but ask questions with no easy answers.
>>
>>18624055
Thank you for your input on my question. I hope this thread is still alive in a couple hours as I also want to see what other anons have to say.
>>
By working like a slave for someone or something other than yourself.
>>
1. be male.
2. be good.
>>
>>18624212
Explain please.
>>
I'm taking a course on greek philosophy and they tackle this nicely. But it's not mandatory. You need to identify what means being good. Then, you need to like it, acting good being a part of you, something you like to do, and not a chore as in "I WANT TO DO X BUT I SHOULD DO Y BECAUSE IT'S GOOD". The goal is to want to do Y in the first place.
>>
>>18623959
a.) stop watching anime and other reddit shit they're feeding you, read books
b.) follow the thirteen virtues of Benjamin Franklin, pay special attention to chastity and humility: http://www.thirteenvirtues.com/
c.) set a clear goal (Rhodes scholarship, dream job, etc.)
>>
>>18623959
>Find other good men
>Kill them and eat their hearts
>The goodness and strength in their hearts will transfer into you
>>
>>18625650
You can also followed the ancient Roman virtues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue#Roman_virtues
>>
>>18623959
God dammit. We had this conversation over a thousand years ago. How many times must we talk about it?
>>
So basically I just have to become /lit/?
>>
>>18626341
It's better to have people trying to change themselves than having a shit ton of nu males like now
>>
>>18623959
Dont make your gf finger your asshole whilst she sucks your cock.
Women hate it.
t. Woman
>>
>>18626343
No, don't listen to those boys. Do you think the only good men are intellectuals? That's nonsense. If you have your health, train your body. Exercise, lift weights. Become the best you can be at your job and hobbies. Be kind, but don't let others push you around. Don't start fights. Walk away, unless you absolutely can't. Help others. Take care of those who rely on you.
>>
>>18627459
You're a fucking pussy
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.