[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I learn everything math related that is taught in school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2017-08-02-18-30-33.png (156KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-02-18-30-33.png
156KB, 480x800px
Can I learn everything math related that is taught in school and high school in the span of a year? Or is this impossible?
I was so much of an underachiever in high school that I graduated without more than basic arithmetics knowledge. I am too autistic for most careers that dont use numbers, most careers that dont require social interactions are engineerings that require math.

So at 23 years old I'm heading a path of either turn my life around quick or suicide whatever happens first. So I decided maybe if I apply a year to learn what I never learned in school I could be able to study some STEM career, like pic related says I'm not bright, I'd say I'm dumb but someone said that it's a matter of drive and effort more than IQ so I wonder if I could give this idea a chance, is this feasable?

Pic related is a thread a few weeks ago, while I didn't got concrete answers there at least some of the posts were very encouraging.
>>
>>18622460
>most careers that dont require social interactions are engineerings that require math.
Oh boy, you're delusional if you think you can actually get a decent job without social skills. Just like any other employer, companies in the field of engineering value social skills.
>>
>>18622476
I figured but I mean as long as I don't have to be extremely social maybe I could manage it. I'm currently working as a receptionist for a minimun wage (in my country it's 370 dollars a month) and I have to talk with people that come in and that I can manage, on the other hand I studied 3 years to be an english teacher when I had to eventually teach classes to teenagers I just dropped out, I couldn't mantain control of the classroom, it was a disaster.

Now if I will need that type of social skills everywhere then I'll just prepare the rope.
>>
>>18622460
With regard to the math, yes, no problem. School is pretty dilute teaching - only a few hours every week.
You'd need to make it a full time program and it would help a lot to have a tutor, online or in real life. Without a tutor it probably would be really hard to do.
>>
>>18622497
There are a lot of technical careers available that don't need social skills. If you can manage to learn about computer network installation and maintenance you'd be in high demand.
>>
>>18622497
It does depend on the shitty 3rd world country and its attitude to women in the workplace. My shitty country has laws about discrimination, so women can take any job. Where (roughly) are you?
>>
>>18622460
Yes, you can. Remember that math classes are distributed to 4-6 hours per week in most schools and high schools, not counting holidays. So a 1 year focus is definitely possible, even in your case of "being dumb".
You can get books and find courses online. Dedicate 2-3 hours every day to learning math and you should be able to do it. Remember that math is all about practice and you don't need to be bright to learn it. As a (personal) proof I had two friends who were idiots. One more so than the other. At one point in their life they decided to actually put some effort into studying and they both had A's in math, in college math too. They also did it all by themselves. You can find very good videos explaining literally everything nowadays. So you don't need a tutor as >>18622497 suggested, but a tutor would definitely help if you're not a focused or an organized person. But if you can make a plan and stick to it then go ahead and try self educating.

However, as the other anon said you're fucked without social skills. The best thing you can do is web design if you hate interaction.
>>
>>18622511
Ecuador in south america. I'm not female though but I don't think it makes a difference here.
>>
You can make a lot of money as truck driver and never interact with anyone. You can make an absolute boatload if you specialize further. Dont go to school.
>>
>>18622525
>truck driver
Being stuck on the road for 8-18 hours straight isn't really fun desu. Wouldn't recommend, OP. You'll develop health problems.
>>
>>18622517
I'm home after work at 19:00pm so I could invest 2 hours a day if I put aside every other thing I used my time with and considering this is to fix where my life is heading I think it's worth it.

It's not that I hate social interaction, it's that I simply have ridiculous social anxiety, I panic over the most stupid shit, it doesn't even seem to follow any logic since even talking with children or teenagers makes me nervous.

>>18622525
Won't work here. Very skilled tradesmen here can't earn more than the minimun wage, drivers same, without a degree here you're nobody except maybe if you make your own business or inherit one.
>>
>>18622548
Social anxiety is a problem. I'm with you on that.

Can you do computer coding? It can be done from home, without meeting anybody. Si the Internet decently reliable where you are. I guess 4chan works.

Not that I 'd recommend total isolation.
Coding seldom needs math skills, it needs logic and clear thought.
>>
>>18622548
where is "here" that tradesmen don't earn more than minimum wage? africa? I've earned more than minimum wage as a dishwasher in a restaurant.
>>
>>18622751
South America. Where I work there are two other employees that do the cleaning and other shit and they earn the minimun wage here, they're both good in different trades: masonry, plumbing, gardening, they do everything but they earn minimun wage. Shit's tough outside the first world mate. To find this job I'm in now first I started working for ten dollars a day, while unfair and illegal I agreed to it cause I couldn't find work elsewhere, plus it's better to just sit here mantaining the seat at a certain temperature until I have to attend guests which doesn't happen much outside of weekends, than working at a McDonalds.

>>18622706
Can I? Never tried it, I always figured coding involved some sort of math, even if the actual thing doesn't, colleges I think tend to have up to calculus and shit like that in there.

I don't want to isolate myself but I also know I can't expose myself to something like in front of a classroom which demands a certain level social skills and emotional stability.
>>
>>18622476
His social skills are fine in this thread and the old thread, which is archived here: >>18585829

>>18622460
OP, I posted in that old thread and coincidentally find this thread..... I hope you're ok........ It is stupid, but I felt really bad for you because I feel we suffer the same issues except I'm in a better country (there's literally programs here to help this exact problem)

The fact that there are others like you (particularily the combination of being aspie + bad at math) means that you're not alone..

Anyway.....

>Can I learn everything math related that is taught in school and high school in the span of a year? Or is this impossible?

IMO, this is of course possible.... In school I spent my short time in math class, went home did my stupid homework, didn't do well, but still passed... And I'm so bad at math, I get confused with simple addition/subtraction.

You will be doing math for 1 hour a day or more, so of course you can learn (it will just take you more human effort than a math genius). Ask teachers for personal help, sit near the teacher.

And about the social part... I know you're bad at it, so am I, it seems impossible to permanently fix........ But you can do that too. and I suggest you look at all your work options, really get the gist of each career and see which is most tolerable.

I guess going to USA is out of your reach, as you complained before and don't mention it here.

P.s. I also though coding required math but that anon says it doesn't, I'd look at that too... But isolation will make aspergers worse, at least talk to people and watch anime.
>>
>>18622706
How do I work from home as a programmer if I don't like web development?
>>
For socializing: it takes effort but you have to listen to people carefully and care about them, ask them questions about the little things they say. They will talk more easily with you because you listen to them. This guy explained it to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3wy7s_QvOY

Exxample: They say
>"working last night at McDonalds sucked, please kill me"
You can say many specific things
"why? did they make you wash dishes?"
"why? were people mean?"
"ok" *kills*

Just put ideas/questions in a persons mind and they will be entertained forever.

I am the same with social anxiety, around children, anyone... Even in a videogame, talking to NPC characters make me experience SA

It's a tough mental problem but people don't really judge you that hard, I would have no idea anyone else has SA except myself but I'm sure many have it. It's easy to hide.

People don't require much to be satisfied, simple things are best. With friends you just have to be entertaining to them, easy to deal with, have stuff in common... It distracts them, like a slice of life anime... Have simple thoughts.

hope that does not confuse you
>>
>>18622928
I remember you, you're the one that left a mail right?

>>18623129
I know how to talk with people the thing is it's like I have an irrational fear when I deal with them, I know the words I should use but when ir comes to doing it I back off, like my mind goes blank and leaves me and I become mute , except monosyllables or premade phrases.
>>
>>18623637
OP, what do you plan to do next?
>>
>>18622460
>like pic related says I'm not bright, I'd say I'm dumb

What exactly is this idea based on? Have you done an IQ test?
You don't sound dumb (and there are a LOT of dumb people who post on this board).
Your poor school performance sounds like it had more to do with depression.
>>
>>18622460
I live in germany and I have actually done that. Dropped out of school but got my graduation externally.

We have books on math that teach you everything you'd learn in school, you can buy them on amazon. Also it's nice to have some kind of teacher you can ask things after you're done teaching yourself. Math books should have a solution book so you can always check your answers for yourself, but sometimes you just can't understand things and can't find anything on the internet, sometimes you just have to ask a teacher.

I should note that it took me a bit more than a year and that I wasn't bad at school, I just dropped out a bit early and forgot many things I had to relearn, BUT I also learned many other things from different classes, not just math.
>>
>>18622460
>someone said that it's a matter of drive and effort more than IQ
This is absolutely true, never ever doubt this. Even when you look at people getting math PhDs drive is a much better indicator for success than how much of a "math whiz" you are.
>>
>>18622460
Go for it, just make sure to always do more exercises than you think you need to in order to really make sure you got the concepts down. And also try to take time to really understand why a method to solve a particular type of problem works, rather than just memorizing the steps to solve it. It's annoying and can take a while, but once you can do that, learning math becomes a whole lot easier. Do more of the "conceptual" exercises, often the last few in an exercise set, rather than the rote computation questions. Those will really test to see if you understand what's going on.

For some books the Gentoomen library has some good highschool/early undergraduate type stuff, as well as a shitton of compsci books:
https://g.sicp.me/books/

This also has advanced/pure math stuff but there's plenty of more introductory books:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8ywa01FmhL4M1Q5X0VPcEVEUlU

There's some other math torrents on /t/ but by the looks of it they're more graduate level.

Personally though I often find the best way to find math books is to look through amazon for the best rated books in a given topic and then get it on #bookz irc channel on the undernet. You'll often have to wait for FlipMoran to be online too.

I've found this custom google search also works for textbooks sometimes but some of the sites it links are a little sketchy:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=011394183039475424659:5bfyqg89ers

Or you could by them and not be a filthy pirate like me.

As for a path if you're starting with only basic arithmetics knowledge I'd start with algebra. Once you understand quadratics, start mixing in some geometry. At this point I'd recommend reading about logic and proofs because they start becoming important in geometry. If you're really interested look up a little about Euclid. Also try out Euclidea: https://www.euclidea.xyz/en/game/#/packs/Alpha/level/T1_Line it's a fun way to gamify some of geometry.
>>
>>18624664
From there learn about trigonometry and some other more advanced algebra stuff like logarithm functions and conic sections. Once you're totally good on algebra go to calculus. It's confusing at first, but it's where math actually starts becoming cool. From there you do multivariable calc, linear algebra, differential equations, oh and fit statistics in somewhere, but really at that point you should be going to uni. After that you've basically got all the math you need for an engineering degree, and maybe a little bit more math for compsci.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.