[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pros and cons of removing evidence of a failed relationship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1042.jpg (56KB, 255x238px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1042.jpg
56KB, 255x238px
I have an ex girlfriend I can't get over. I realise that's partly because I check in on her social media presence. I've decided to never do that again (especially considering how hurtful it was the times I found evidence of her slandering me).

However, I also think that I need to get rid of the physical evidence of the relationship. Am I correct? The easy stuff I've already done, but the hard stuff is really challenging.

I've never looked at any of the cards she wrote for me since she left, and looking at them before I planned to destroy them held me back. So, would it be better to destroy/remove all reminders or not?

Finally, I have a problem with one very particular item. An expensive piece of jewellery I gave her during our relationship (the only thing of real, tangible value.) I don't want it, but have been hanging onto it incase she wants it back. Is this the right thing to do? If I get rid of it she can never have it back, but I can never give it to another girl. She chose to give it to me, to do as I see fit with it, but I'm torn between my morals (keeping it is the right thing to do incase she regrets losing it), and the reality of the item (I don't want it in my fucking cupboard anymore.)

Please note reconcilliation and a second relationship between the two of us is impossible. I'm not going to regret throwing out stuff she might be connected to incase she comes back, because I wouldn't accept her back. It's more that these items are the only proof I have left that she ever loved me.

Is the potential nostalgia of a failed romance years later worth keeping these for?

Or should I plunge through uncertainty to feel the satisfaction of emotional cleansing?

Thanks in advance for any serious answers. I've tried to make this as unemotional as possible.
>>
has selling it crossed your mind? if it's been years, she won't want it back, dude. she probably doesn't even remember that you got it for her. sell it and keep the dosh for yourself. and yes, you're correct in thinking getting rid of the physical evidence of the relationship will help you move on. godspeed, anon.
>>
>>18620652

Oh yeah, I meant to say that. Selling it seems the best solution. I could get a decent whack of cash for it, and although I don't need any extra money, I could definitely use some.

She's been gone for about a year and a half, but she never stopped talking to me, I did after she got engaged to her current fiancé and was still blocking and unblocking me. She's made attempts to reach out to me since then, and I suppose she might well do so again. The current group of people she spends her time with have threatened to harm and/or kill me and my family though, which is no small part of the puzzle as to why I don't see me ever speaking to her again.

I guess I'm keeping it because I know she gave it to me to hurt me and I'd hate for her to regret it. I've got rid of things I really wish I hadn't before and I'd feel bad if I realised I'd done that to someone else.
>>
I was in a relationship for 2 and a half years, and when it ended I had a large shoe box full of correspondence, and keepsakes. It floated around in my life for the better part of 7 years because I didn't have the heart to throw it away.

I talked to her after a few years, and she still had a box of letters I had wrote, over the span of a year or two. About two years ago I made a nice little fire, and burned all of them and asked her to do the same.

We're not on talking terms at this point, there's too much baggage.

I do remember asking her about ti and she said, "it's about leaving a space for someone to come back to and reflect on who they were."

looking at those letters years later was really painful, because you become simultaneously aware of something that is both irreplaceable and functionally worthless, reminiscent of a time time that no longer exists.

I don't necessarily assert that what I did was right or wrong, but I do think holding on to those things reinforced some misguided sense of hope that I no longer believe is healthy.

These days I approach life from the perspective that the past is just that, and fixating on it does nothing to help you move forward.

About two years out from that I do feel better.

My vote is burn them OP, and don't look back.
Alternatively, stick em in a box and mail them back to her, but either way get rid of them.
>>
>>18620740
>I guess I'm keeping it because I know she gave it to me to hurt me and I'd hate for her to regret it.

if she gave it to you with the intention of that action hurting you, why do you still care if she regrets it or not? imo, she sounds like a game-playing little bitch and you deserve far better. sell it and burn whatever else you have from that relationship. good riddance.
>>
>>18620769
also, block both her and her partner. she's well and truly moved on and i don't doubt she's still only making contact every now and then because she's bored and needs attention. trust me, block them both on everything you have. if/when she notices and she tries to contact you via another avenue (believe me, she will), ignore her.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.