[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which instrument should I learn, bass or drums?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (173KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
173KB, 1280x720px
I'm thinking of picking up a new instrument for the purpose of getting into bands, during my gap year (next year). I've narrowed it down to bass or drums, but I'm at a loss as to which to learn.
Bass
>easier
>cheaper
>quicker to learn
Drums
>will make me a better musician
>easier to make a band with
>I like them more
Any advice from musicians who play these instruments?
Also, I forgot to note, I also play sax and flute so I'm not a novice in terms of musical ability.
>>
How on earth did you expect to become adequate on drums, much less proficient enough to do rhythm for a band, during only one year of learning?

Bass. Definitely bass. You'll still suck but I can't imagine they'll expect any difficult lines from you.
>>
>>18620042
I am a good musician, and I pick things up very quickly. I'm aware that I won't be fantastic, but I should be able to get up to an adequate standard.
>>
>>18620049
I retract my suggestion. That level of self-assurance demands a drummer.
>>
>>18620026
If by better musician you mean well rounded having knowledge of percussion then I can't argue there. If you aren't concerned with hearing loss and would rather play drums, I don't see why not. Everyone's always looking for a drummer, and at least where I'm from there hardly are any. Nobody cares about bass players, it's always ends up as the third guitarist in the group that wasn't good enough for rhythm guitar.
>>
>>18620026
Everyone always needs a drummer, and you could learn to at least keep a beat in a year. Go for it.
>>
>>18620026
Bass, if only for the fact that it will be easier to practice. Drums require a dedicated space and tolerant neighbors. If that's not an issue for you, and you have the co-ordination and the funds, then go for drums, but I would say it'll be easier to get good on a bass in a year because you'll be able to practice more often, and a bass is much more portable than a drumset.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.