[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every now and then, I receive a catalog for a local technical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: Max - Fishing.png (34KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
Max - Fishing.png
34KB, 266x190px
Every now and then, I receive a catalog for a local technical college offering adult, non-credit continuing education.

From what I know, the technical college's actual degree programs are pretty good, but I can't find anything on their continuing education topics.

This seems like something that I really want to do to get out of the rut I'm sort of in (want to be more productive, haven't done shit other than work and come home fairly tired). I have lingering interests in drawing, storywriting and graphic design that I may want to blossom into an actual new career (that I've been too afraid to act upon until now), and I want to continue to spend my time learning in general. Even miscellaneous things like music composition, languages, economics/finances, or even history can feed into those interests or make me a more effective and well-rounded person.

I'm hesitant, however, because some of these courses almost seem like seminars at the community center rather than something that really fosters profound personal growth.

Has anyone here taken courses in continuing education? Was the experience valuable for you?
>>
>>18619522
>some of these courses almost seem like seminars at the community center
Depending on the subject matter, that's generally what they are. They're tasters of what the college has to offer, and if you like it, you can look more into a proper program.
>>
File: eric andre aesthetic.png (379KB, 401x362px) Image search: [Google]
eric andre aesthetic.png
379KB, 401x362px
>>18619536

That was my suspicion when I see things like continuing courses for dental hygenists and "Processes and Procedures of Graphic Design" bundled in with "Date Night: Rome" and "Feng Shui Design".

Still, even accumulating some of these small fragments of knowledge may be fulfilling. Are there any other types of programs, short of actually going back to school (kind in full swing at my job, kind of inappropriate to stop now), that may give me the professional skills I want to develop? Or should I just follow up with a class I like and ask where I learn more?
>>
>>18619569
Off the top of my head, unless it's a language or something, none of them are really going to be anything that you can put on your resume or anything. You're not going to get the equivalent of a college education, or even close, from these courses; they're really just intended to be classes you can take because they're on a topic that you're interested in. The school may offer some shorter, part time courses that you can take to upskill, that could be something you could look into if you want something 'real' from it.
>>
File: loveress.png (313KB, 602x598px) Image search: [Google]
loveress.png
313KB, 602x598px
>>18619590

I see. These courses are geared more for personal fulfillment rather than professional development.

I think in certain cases that should be adequate. As for things I wanted to develop more professional skills in, I'll look into part time courses for the possibilities.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll keep an eye on the thread if there's anyone else with input on the topic.
>>
>>18619599
>I see. These courses are geared more for personal fulfillment rather than professional development.
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. There are few and far between that will actually teach you something useful (my friend's taken a series on sign language, for example), but most are shorter equivalents of those classes you'd take just for fun even if they're not part of your major.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.