[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Education

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 1492291067924.jpg (2MB, 1635x1951px) Image search: [Google]
1492291067924.jpg
2MB, 1635x1951px
I've got an associates and from a community college. Next step is transferring to a 4yr university. Pretty much locked down on University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

Only problem is, I can't choose what to major in. I'll probably go for computer science, but I don't want to fall into a shitty networking/IT job. I could have just gotten a CCNA if I wanted that. I love taking math courses, so I thought about majoring in mathematics. It looks like there aren't any jobs for people majoring in applied or pure math. Even then, it would be a better option to major in CS for possible careers instead of math. I enjoy chemistry as well. There's something fun about working in a lab with chemicals that I can't describe. I just don't know what careers that would lead into, though, after school. Engineering sounds cool too, but it seems like its getting overpopulated now. Mechanical engineering, electrical engineering are the main options. I kind of looked at med school as well. The university is opening up a med school with an engineering focus soon. The idea of helping create prosthesis and augments is amazing.

My college GPA is high, and that's pretty much all they look at UIUC, so I could transfer into pretty much anything. I can have a strong work ethic and motivation if I know it's something worthwhile. I really want to be someone that helps advance America in some way. Life would be meaningless for me unless, I'm creating something and not just maintaining the world others have built. That's why I don't want something like IT. I know I could do something to help, but I don't have enough information. What can I/should I do? Helping create human augments would be a dream. So would helping with general AI, better robotics, or leaving an impact in any science. What would be the most feasible?

This is pathetic and re-reading it has made me sad.
>>
>>18616944
As long as you have a degree in STEM you pass the bar for computer jobs. Most programming positions will take physics, math, engineers, computer science degrees. If you have a math degree and know a language and algorithms compared to a physics degree and know the langue and algorithms, then who gives a fuck. And computational mathematics and such end up taking programming like matlab and Haskell, R, so there is a place for them in their own niche
>>
Biotech is hitting hard this year. In another life I would go for it. I know the work of some electrical engineering professors there, it is impressive, but I agree the area is overpopulated with electric cars and AI.
>>
>>18616944
you actually sound like you have you're shit together OP (way more then most of the peeps on this board).

Not a stem guy so can't give you specific advice, but I'd check out "what it's worth," put out by the center on education and the workforce by georgetown university.

It's a set of compiled statistics on projected growth, demographics, average salary, etc. in different fields. Could be useful and you might see a sub field you like that pays well you were not aware of.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.