[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Marine Biology a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: mantaray.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mantaray.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
When I was younger people would often say they wanted to be a marine biologist. I always thought of it as one of those things that everyone wants to do but there's no jobs for. My parents are both scientists themselves and always complain about the lack of funding, all the grants they have to apply for and how little they earn.

I got tricked into doing an accounting degree - it was my best subject in school and everyone kind of expected me to do it. When it came to deciding what course I wanted to do I still didn't know so I just went with it. I almost felt like people would be disappointed if I didn't.
Having graduated I've now realised how important confidence and communication/interpersonal skills are in business. Basically I'm socially retarded and so I feel I have little chance of success in the field. I've felt very depressed about it for the past year or more. I rarely make the effort to apply for jobs these days and if I do I've either chickened out of the interview or made a mess of it.

I'm often thinking if there's anything else I could do instead. Marine biology came to mind, and I'm now wondering how feasible it actually is. Are there actual jobs around or are you relegated to teacher or burger flipper?
I've always thought Manta Rays are cool, and swimming with them is high on my bucket list. Researching them or being involved with them in some way in my imagination sounds like a top job. And either way being able to travel and swim in the ocean for work sounds like a pretty good deal.
>>
>>18614726
You most likely would have to go to grad school for marine biology, if not at least a bio undergrad. Most real science careers require grad school too btw.
>>
>>18614738
Grad school is just like postgrad right? Yeah I assumed that would be the case
>>
>>18614726
The jobs range from management, scientist, technician to crew. So it depends on your ability just where you fit in that arrangement. But you are quite correct, there are very few jobs in the field and the scientist jobs are very competitive.
You would get more Manta Ray time by working in accounting and taking long holidays in the Carribean.
>>
>>18614726
if you are socially retarded you won't make it in science. i'm biology undergrad myself
>>
>>18614809
what can i make it into then?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.