[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Take a gap year to work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 0d1fcae.jpg (94KB, 790x444px) Image search: [Google]
0d1fcae.jpg
94KB, 790x444px
I'm 18 and about to go to college, but I just don't feel ready. I haven't had a job before this point and I don't even have my license or a car. This is a local state college btw, about 8 miles away.

I'm about to get my license but college feels like a huge responsibility to take at this point. I have 8 AP classes all with 3 or above scores on their tests, so I'm definitely ready for first year college classes, but I feel like I should be treating it like something to be excited for. I just don't care and going now feels like a huge annoyance, another four years of high school if anything. I want to say I lack the maturity, confidence or leadership you would get from a job, also social skills, I'm really bad at conversation and stutter a lot, and my voice is super quiet.

My parents said it's fine to not go and take a gap year instead, and I would be working a job during this year for the most part. I feel like this is a good idea because I get work/social experience (grocery store or similar), my first car, and maybe a rejuvenated interest in college. I feel like college should be an investment that I have to feel excited about but I really don't care, and I'd think working a job and getting a feel for the real world would help me realize its importance.

The only thing stopping me now is that I know nothing about the cons of a gap year. Will colleges hate that I took a gap year to work? Some part of me feels like I HAVE to go right after high school, and taking a gap year would limit my selection massively or something, or I'd look like a loser compared to other applicants.

And sorry if I sound entitled or something by saying I don't care, I DO realize the importance of college but these are my true feelings. Maybe I'm depressed.

My major is CS, btw.

So should I just suck it up and go, or work for a year? First day is August 21st.
>>
>>18613430
Worst thing you can possibly do. I accidentally had a gap year that almost turned into more. Very easy to slip into a grind.
>>
Yeah, it will make 0 difference if you graduate at 22 or 23

Literally no difference so go do your thing and enjoy
>>
It's not going to hurt you if you take a year. If anything, you'll be better off, especially financially.
>>
>>18613430
Gap year students have better academic performance than non gap year students. I took a semester off and it basically gave my attitude to school a 180, in a good way.
>>
No, schools shouldn't care if you aren't fresh out of high school, especially a local state school. The only caveat might be scholarship opportunities. If that's important to you then you can look into that.

I'd encourage you to go ahead and take the gap year. It seems like you've thought it through and you understand that you can do whatever the hell you want. You'll likely end up better off than most kids who go to college at 18, who haven't thought very hard about what they want to do with their lives and haven't had experience in "the real world." After that year you'll probably have had some time to think where you want to go and whether or not you need college to achieve that. That's a much better approach than going straight to college with no motivation, not really knowing if you need to go, switching majors constantly, etc.
>>
Thanks for your comments friends. I feel better about my decision now.

>>18613442

Can you tell me about your experience? My parents are going to be pretty rough about working so I doubt I'll slip into slacking off or something.
>>
>>18613430
In some countries - e.g. Britain - the gap year is the norm rather than the exception.
>>
>>18613430
>major in CS

Get out while you still can
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.