[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to play guitar with small hands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 20170811_222839.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_222839.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
I've been a bass player all my life, and just now I decided to try and get into guitar, thing is, I find it extremely difficult to play it since I struggle with finger movement. Wat do?

Pic related, my hand
>>
>>18613360

Purchase a guitar with smaller frets and practice extra hard.
>>
>>18613397
I'm currently practicing with an Ibanez Gio Grg 270 Dx, aren't those frets small enough? Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong?
>>
>>18613411

>I'm currently practicing with an Ibanez Gio Grg 270 Dx, aren't those frets small enough?

Perhaps not. I do know that a lot of smaller handed players prefer fanned frets. Maybe you need to get some finger lessons and make sure you're practicing the right way.
>>
>>18613423

>finger lessons

Yeah, I'll probably have to take some. Thanks.
>>
>>18613431

Fingering lessons, I mean. I played the piano for 15 years and fingering exercises were a big chunk of my practice routine. Its one thing to know the music and the theory and a whole different thing to have the physical dexterity and strength necessary to play them. In a lot of ways you sometimes have to view each practice as independent of each other. A lot of players want to immediately jump into songs and chords and complicated runs but skip the hours of rather boring finger training and scale exercises to build the necessary strength and muscle memory to play. Don't skip the fundamentals.

Finger lessons.
>>
>>18613360
What kids of music/styles of guitar?
>>
Dad was a musician; he had high standards for us and we are a family of small hands. When he was a kid he would use large thread spools in between fingera rhen take them in place before bed. Like other anon said he did finger exercises every day after dinner until bed. He urged us all to do the same and we all did. It sucked but we are all better for it I think.
>>
>>18613360
>I struggle with finger movement
When you say this what do you mean? Is it a problem of finger independence (since guitar fingers are more complex than bass), a problem of not being able to reach all the notes you're trying to play, or a problem of not being able to move in the ways the style you want to play demands?

All of those can be overcome, but how to respond depends on which it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok7CfEVCNRA
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.