[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Universities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

The new semester is coming up!

Have questions on University or college experience and life? Need advice? Career outlook for majors?Have advice to give? Come into this thread.

>Bachelors in chemistry, pic related
>PhD in organic and polymer chemistry, Georgia Tech
>>
>>18611796

>666

Make another thread, this ones fucked from the get go.
>>
File: 1502333088263.png (396KB, 1118x1028px) Image search: [Google]
1502333088263.png
396KB, 1118x1028px
>>18611797
By the power of Satan the discussion continues
>>
File: eclipse3.jpg (81KB, 2050x1390px) Image search: [Google]
eclipse3.jpg
81KB, 2050x1390px
Alright since somebody made another thread for no reason, I'll ask it here too.

My first day of class is on the 21st, but I want to go see the eclipse. Would my professor be pissed / would I be fucked if I skipped the first day?
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (36KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
36KB, 1280x720px
>>9099666
>Have advice to give?

Yeah, I have some fucking advice to give. Don't go to fucking university for anything outside of STEM. DO NOT GO TO UNIVERSITY FOR ANYTHING THAT ISN'T RELATED TO SCIENCE, """TECHNOLOGY""", ENGINEERING, OR MATH.

No, philosophy doesn't get a pass because of how """high IQ""" it is. If you want to go to law school, that is the ONLY excuse I could ever come up with that is at all legitimate, and even then, why the fuck would you want to be a fucking lawyer in a million years. Philosophy is important and you should give a big shit about it, just don't go to school for it.

No, you being """""""""""""""passionate""""""""""""""" about the subject is no excuse. If you're so fucking passionate, get a day job and buy books, join some communities online, make youtube videos and shit like that. Do shit YOURSELF and stop getting SPOONFED easily digestible shit by idiot professors. Having a degree in your """""""""""""""passion""""""""""""""" doesn't do anything and will waste your time and probably money if you don't have a scholarship.

If you don't go to community college first and don't have a really nice scholarship/financial aid sum, don't go to college at all, because you're a fucking moron that likes to waste money and can't think critically even well enough to make such obvious decisions.

If you don't want to go to college, go be an artist, or a public figure. Our generation(Z, not millennial faggots) are going to be the first to get fucked in the ass by the necessary automation of easy jobs. Flipping burgers will probably not be a job by the time we have children, look at it that way. If you aren't an engineer, a scientist, a math person doing math shit, or some developer, an artist, or public figure with intelligent things to say as some socialite-type, you are 100% fucked.
>>
>>18611831
It was in /sci/ but I guess the cuck mod determined that talking about university advice is not for a science board.
>>
>>18611835
P.S. Who knows where this fantasy came from, but university isn't going to make you smarter/different/enlightened, or make you have some big epiphany and "find yourself" like some fucking film. You go with the goal of learning, receive the paper that allows you to take special regulatory exams that will LEGALLY allow you to work as an engineer for example, and get on with your life, because college isn't that big of a fucking deal, and more than likely will not be worth having done on the back end, especially if you didn't go for STEM. Most people(AKA probably you) are stupid, and do not change just because they took some english courses. or an effective speech course. The PERSON is smart or they aren't. University doesn't change that, AT ALL.

I'm sick of 21st century university. It's a BUSINESS.
>>
>>18611853
/Sci/ is the shittiest board, don't go there. It's /x/ 2.0
>>
>>18611853
well anon of course a university thread on an academic board isn't appropriate, but the /pol/ race, IQ, and flat earth threads are!!! :)))

i'm sure you see why /sci/ is shit now if you haven't already.
>>
>>18611858
UCF is only about $28,000 for a bachelors, even cheaper if you start at a community college. $23,000 of that is covered over 4 years with pell grants if you're from a poor family.
>>
>>18611887
I haven't been there in years honestly. Hell I made the same thread on /pol/ a few days ago and it eventually maxed out on replies and auto saged, really good thread. But fucking /sci/? Really?
>>
>>18611899
Yeah, I stopped going for anything but lurking there after like 2015. It's a stupid board with really stupid mods.
>>
>>18611906
Good riddance then I guess. Really unfortunate. I preferred the homework threads to back when before it turned into conspiracy board.
>>
>>18611796
Getting a B.S. in biochemistry now, transferred from a CC and now going into my first year at my uni

Is it advisable to specialize further from biochemistry or is that specific enough? My goal in this is to not be forced to go to grad school, I still might regardless but I would like a bachelor's that I can find a job with in itself. Any advice?
>>
Frankly, you need to go to gradschool for either a masters or PhD in chemistry or biochemistry if you want to be anything more than a bench money doing nothing but menial operations and babysitting equipment. Sure if you stay at a good company a long time you might move up but that's not typical. Gradschool, it's advisor dependent but you leave with the certainty that you can do science, ask and answer research questions, create knowledge and sometimes lead people and your research experience shows that.
>>
>>18611945
>>18611912
To add, engineering is for people that want to go directly into jobs from undergrad, into something they won't be ground into dust from monotony and not being listened to. But as I said above, really depends on the company and if they are willing to invest in you.
>>
>>18611961
>>18611945
I figured more or less what you told me; so at the end of it it basically comes down to going to grad school or switching to engineering of some kind. Though engineering is a completely separate department than the sciences at my school so idk how well that'd go, and AFAIK engineering in any subject is more demanding than the corresponding science yes?
>>
>>18611992
I wouldn't say it's more demanding, it's different. They both require you to really know your shit to pass and survive. Though chemistry and biochemistry requires you to be creative and independent in gradschool and beyond. You don't really get a lot of outside support except if your advisor does collaborations which can be great or shit.

Also if you don't know, gradschool has a waived tuition and you get a stipend for PhD.
>>
>>18611992
>>18612005
To add, they way I see it is: engineers build things or move fluids or coat films. They do a lot of it at huge scales. They don't necessarily create anything new but build it bigger and more frequently.

Chemists, biochemists, or physicist create new novel materials, methods, or ideas. New things no one has seen before.

When I discovered I enjoyed chemistry I wanted to make novel materials for new devices. I don't give a shit how the device is made, that's an engineers job.
>>
>>18612022
To add again, if it's a new device using my materials then I need to learn to build it so I can teach the engineers how it's done. They'll make it more feasible and automate it.
>>
>>18612005
>>18612022
>>18612042
Yeah then I guess what it comes down to is what I want to be doing, honestly I've been trying to not get myself constrained too much but I guess at a certain point it's either specialize or get left behind. Though I could see myself doing either of them, I worry how applicable a general science degree can be in industry, I'd rather not get into being a professor and hoping for a tenure track position honestly.

As far as the stipend for grad school, is that a standard thing? All I hear about is how expensive grad school is and the debt and all that shit which is admittedly part of the hesitance since I'd be getting my bachelor's done debt free.
>>
>>18612095
General science degrees are applicable for industry. Actually I think during my job search there were more openings for bachelor's and masters than PhDs, though that might just be in line with how many people get said degrees.

Finding out about the stipend is what made me go to gradschool. Ask your departmental advisor about it, that's how I found out. I know for a fact PhDs are fully covered with waived tuition and stipends. I am not sure about masters since people usually apply and go to school for PhDs while masters are usually consolation prizes or for military.
>>
>>18612110
Well that's a much better outlook of it than I had before. If I don't have to drown in debt to go to grad school id probably be pretty down to try and advance that way. Is it that common to skip the Masters completely and go straight for a PhD?

Also of course it's good to hear that the job situation should be okay either way that I end up going thx for the advice anon
>>
>>18612169
Btw this is for FIU if that changes anything
>>
I want to be a physician, so based on the above posts Uni is necessary b/c I can't practice w/out legally obtained credentials, right?
>>
>>18612169
>>18612179
When you apply you usually are applying directly for a PhD (the masters is attained academically along the way in the term of qualification exams, the yuro's get a separate masters degree then a PhD). When you do apply for schools and are looking for advisors be very studious in investigating prospective advisors. The ACS publishes the directory of Graduate reseaech
https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/students/graduate/dgr.html

It has a list of all active professors by department at every university, a short description on what they do, and recent students that graduated and publications. It really helped narrow down my search and your departmental advisor should have a hard copy. Go through it, pick a school with maybe three or four professors that interest you in case you don't get your first choice. When you apply and get accepted, you will be invited to visit where you'll interview professors and students and that's when you get into the details how of certain professors really are and if you like them in person or not.
>>
What are my chances on getting into a school like university of Kentucky with a 2.7 GPA and a 31 ACT?
>>
File: ptBpDXupOkM.jpg (44KB, 540x454px) Image search: [Google]
ptBpDXupOkM.jpg
44KB, 540x454px
I'm transferring to a 4-year college this Fall and I want to try to change my life 180 degrees. I have literally 0 friends (and 0 acquaintances outside family as well) and am incredibly shy. What I'll try to do is join a bunch of clubs and attempt to meet people. The uni's campus is huge. There's many things to do. I don't know what advice do I need but thank you.
>>
>>18613215
What are you going to be studying?
>>
File: 1447740568617.jpg (270KB, 500x740px) Image search: [Google]
1447740568617.jpg
270KB, 500x740px
>>18611796
I'm moving in next week and I'm having panic attacks. I have social anxiety, I don't want to live in a building with a bunch strangers, I'm anxious about living in the middle of nowhere, and I'm scared my parents won't take care of my cats.

To top if off, my roommate stops responding to me as soon as I tell them I don't have room to bring anything else. I've bought ~75% of the shit for our kitchen and they're mad that I can't bring a fucking trash can. Bitch, you can buy one goddamn thing for yourself. I don't give a shit that you're a broke ass swamp dweller, just buy the fucking trash can.

What do I do? Fuck this shit. I don't want to go to college.
>>
>>18613257
Computer Science
>>
What's wrong with being a lawyer?
>>
>>18613270
What college?

>>18613288
Nobody like petty lawsuits and criminal defenders.
>>
>>18613312
I'm not going to say the name because I'm paranoid and don't know what sites my swamp roomie lurks. It's in middle Georgia.
>>
>>18613322
>>18613322
What major? If you don't want to go then why are you going?
>>
>>18613329
Environmental Science.

I didn't choose to go to college. I'm from an upper middle class family, it was decided for me before I was born. My parents aren't going to let me be a NEET.
>>
>>18613340
That's good. Don't be a dirty neet. Environmental science is pretty cool. I hope you'll have fun. I have a friend that works in the panhandle of Florida and monitors populations of mollusks along the coast since the BP disaster.

As for your social situation, freshman year will be the easiest year to make friends. After that it gets progressively more difficult. Make friends now if you can. If you don't, hide in the gym and get them gainz. You can be antisocial but for God sake don't let your youthful health go to waste. Get big. Get fit. Maybe you can find another person as anxious as you and you can both go to the gym together.

Is it a pretty campus?
>>
>>18613398
>>18613340
But also if you do want to meet friends here is a passive way that worked for me though I feel little anxiety. It's in the duplicate thread because of the cuck /sci/ mod.
>>18612739
>>
>>18613398
Thanks for the kind words, man.

And yeah, I'm kinda worried about making friends. I really don't mind being alone, but I don't want to waste college being a semi-shut in. I think I either come off ass a jaded asshole or someone trying too hard to be nice / pushover.

The campus is actually really beautiful. It's was built after the yanks burnt everything down so the area is full of houses and buildings from the late 1800's.
>>
Going into finance next year, any tips?
>>
>>18613454
If the campus is beautiful and safe, take it in. Go for nice walks at night. I fucking loved doing that and I miss it to shit as an adult now.
>>
I'm 26 and just now contemplating going to college. Not even sure what to study. Just want to eventually get a nice cozy job I can be proud of. Any advice on how to go about things? Like is a 4 year degree the best way to get out of a hole? I still can't even wrap my mind around finishing school by the age of 30.
>>
>>18613583
If you don't know what you want to study, don't waste your time and money. And there's nothing wrong with starting school later, I have friends who are literally in their 30s and older.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.