[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Universities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

The new semester is coming up!

Have questions on University or college experience and life? Need advice? Have advice to give? Come into this thread.

>Bachelors in chemistry
>PhD in organic and polymer chemistry
>>
>>18610263
How to chemistry good?
>>
>>18610313
Initially I failed the first two exams in chemistry 1 and had to bust my ass to pull out a B. I didn't really start to understand what I was doing until I took organic chemistry.

If you don't understand something, go to the office hours and read your book, not just to do the homework but really read it.
>>
>>18610263
Best way to meet friends outside of class? All my classes are big lectures.
>>
>>18610441
I was lucky to have lived in social dorms and had great roommates. So most of my nonmajor friends came from that. I met all my major related friends through alpha chi sigma.
>>
>>18610466
I'll be living in an apartment so no dorm people or roommates for me, did that already. Maybe I'll join a club or something
>>
Here's some free advice. It's fine to skip classes, but don't skip anything the first few days. That's when friends are being made and you need to be there PERIOD.

I skipped the "getting to know each other" day (wasn't aware that was a thing) and a couple of classes in the first week, and it took me three years to be on a first name basis with anyone in my class. Now we're all like best friends so that feels like a giant shame, in hindsight.
>>
>>18610441
>>18610466
But to add, your major usually has social or professional societies attached to them. I suggest you join them, it will expand your network and you'll make friends or at least acquaintances that you may see in bars or at the gym. I never really did any intramural sports or generic clubs and anyone I met in my old swimming club I didn't make friends with.
>>
My first day is on the 21st, but I want to go see the eclipse with my friend. My 2nd class is at 2 so I would have to skip it. Would that piss my professor off?
>>
Waste of talent going to FSU. Shit hole of a school and town. Might as well get a degree from FAMU.
>>
File: 1491021589231.jpg (67KB, 720x715px) Image search: [Google]
1491021589231.jpg
67KB, 720x715px
>>18611727
kek salty ucf detected
t. ucf rat
>>
>>18611727
FSU showed me my talent bucko.
Go be a butthurt hogtowner some place else.
>>
>>18610263
How do you balance school and work? I have no choice but to work full time while going to school full time as well or else I can't pay rent.
>>
>>18611743
What kind of work?
Is your job something that you can bring books and read during downtime?
>>
I have 4 8 am classes mon-thurs, and have to take the 7am bus to campus. How do I survive this
>>
>>18611852
Didn't you have highschool starting at 7am five days a week? That's what mine was I thought it was the norm. If you survived that you'll survive your four days a week.
>>
>>18611857
Yeah but my parents were waking me up and driving me. I just want to make sure I don't fall into the vicious cycle of sleeping in and not going to class
>>
>>18611866
Set a lot of really annoying ass alarms that are not within arms reach of the bed. Also drink a ton of water so you have to get up early and pee. You have a roommate?
>>
>>18611872
No roommate. Just me in an apartment relatively close to campus
>>
>>18611878
Okay so if you miss the bus you can bike?
>>
>>18611882
Yeah I don't have a bike though, maybe I should get one
>>
>>18611885
Be careful where you keep or store it. I went through four bikes during my time at undergrad due to niggers stealing them. They cut chains and broke Ulocks. One fucker just destroyed by bike while it was locked up.

You should also time yourself to see how long it takes to walk to certain places. Do a dry run off your days to see how long it takes to get to places. Explore the campus and find shortcuts or alternate route in case faggot protestors [BLOCKSYOURPATH] (assuming that happens on your campus like Berkeley)
>>
>>18611891
very good about the dry runs, he should also be doing that with the bus just to get a feel for it.
>>
>>18610263

Yo. I'm a 23 year old guy who left everything for weed and videogames. (Thank God I finished College)

I moved into the woods by myself to escape the world. Turns out I want some stuff the world offers. I'm sick of sitting here with nobody.

Fucking thankfully I live in a country with really good oppertunitis for education.

I need 1 more year of College to be able to apply to unis. It's a tuff year I heard from others

>Breezed through my school-life without doing any effort at all, have never done any homework
>am a lazy fuck RN
>Just quit weed after 5 years of non stop
>My memory is crap RN
>Have to work on the side also
>If I fail thats 3k dollars in debt
>it's my chance to turn everything around
>Im taking the year as a "external candidate"
>Which means I have no rights from teachers at the school to help me
>It's basically up to myself to learn everything needed for the exams
>It's up to me to create a study schedule for myself

All my life ive been handed everything on a fucking silverplate but i still fucking failed
I cant fail this year.

Advice on how to set this up and not be a lazy faggot?
>>
>>18611897
What do you want to study or do with your degree?
>>
>>18611905

If i finish this year with good grades i have so much stuff to choose. But im thinking about becoming a psychologist or something along those lines. I think i want to work with people. troubled people. like myself.
>>
I want to join a chemistry kind of club, how do I get over the fact of being a noob and feeling useless? the group is already big
>>
>>18611972
Just join it. You being a noon is the reason you're joining it. If you already knew everything there would be no reason join. Does your University have a chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma?
>>
File: image.png (99KB, 220x252px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
99KB, 220x252px
I start in the fall. I never tried in highschool and lack any sort of study skills. How fucked am I?
>>
>>18612017
Go to office hours frequently and read your books. I also never tried in highschool. Any failings are your fault regardless of how bad the professor is, their job is to generate research and occasionally teach or at least loosely guide students through subjects.
>>
>>18612031
thanks for the tips
>>
>>18610263
>>18610263
Came to /adv/ to look for something completely different, but you, sir, are my brother. What year?

>tfw other motherfuckers have to change their mascot to some shitty animal and you're the only remaining relevant school with >muh tradition
>>
Did a year in already
Had a friend , he had to drop out for health
I find everyone else intolerable

Does anyone know the law on bringing a bow and arrow to college in florida
>>
>>18612043
I graduated in 2009 bud. I came in as football was shitting the bed then when I left it got great again.
>>
>>18612045
Like into the dorms?
>>
>>18612068
Yeah
>>
>>18610263
>tfw this is my school
>>
>>18612086
I sent in an application but they wouldn't take me because I only have a GED. It's fine though because USF did and they're cheaper.
>>
File: images-2.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
How to drop out ?
>>
>>18612517
Why do you want to drop out?
>>
File: herts.gif (4KB, 600x150px) Image search: [Google]
herts.gif
4KB, 600x150px
>>18610263
Brit here so uni starts for me late September but still.
Studying phsyics.
Hoping to get a life in the U.S.
Results come in next Thursday which determines what unis I can go, the thing is that I have an offer from a uni that is pretty low ranked (pic related). Is it worth going to get a degree or is it better to get a job.
>>
Are the military service academies considered good universities in terms of education?
>>
Ill take any advice, im going to a university 4 hours away from where i live and i dont know anyone, havent talked to my roommate and i dont have a car. I got a really good scholarship so i see myself staying there solely because of that.

Any tips for an in coming freshman??
>>
coming from the previous thread; I want to be a physician, so going to Uni would be required b/c I can't practice w/out legal documents allowing me to, right?
>>
>>18612726
Hey I'm in the same situation except I don't even have a place to stay yet!
>>
Talk to your roommate, talk to other people in your dorm, talk to other people at your university. You're going to have a very lonely 3/4 years if you don't.
>>
>>18612731
Has anyone trier to help? Is it a money issue or an area issue??
>>
>>18612726
>>18612726
Well, don't rely on your roommate for friendship. Hopefully it works out but when you arrive, go door to door in your hall and introduce yourself. Leave your door open. For a few days so people feel welcome to pop in and introduce themselves or say hi. I suggest maybe seeing if any prospective friends want to go eat together or go walk around the campus and explore. See if anyone wants to go to the gym when you get more comfortable.

What university?
>>
>>18612730
That is correct. You need to achieve the prerequisites to go to medical procedure PA school too.
>>
Should I go to art school if I want to be an artist or is that also a waste of time/money? Please explain.
>>
>>18612739
Our lady of the lake university in san antonio, move in is the 17th and orientation is the 18th - 19th. And yeah im an open person but usually i like to just chill by myself not to bother anyone
>>
>>18612667>>18612667
The degree I was going for is no longer available and the fact that I now work for my family so I no longer need to go. Completely have no idea how to drop, looked at my account but no info. I don't like talking in person so there has to be a way to drop without talking to admissions in person.
>>
>>18612746
Friend of mine wanted to be a photographer. She spent big fucking money and ended up not being any better then her peers and has a fuck ton of debt from it after dropping out. Art by itself is a bad idea due to job prospects u less you want to be a starving cuck of an artist. Double major if you can. There was a guy I knew where his dad wanted him to be a doctor but he wanted to be a painter. While he was in school for premed and later medschool he took art classes when he could. He now writes medical and anatomy books where he draws and paints anatomically correct diagrams of Bones and muscles and nerves. There's options in art but do not spend a fuck ton of money just to do art. Have a backup plan. A real viable back up plan.
>>
>>18612764
Photography's one of those things where you can just make a Facebook page or Instagram and can actually work your way into a business through social media.
>>
>>18612757
Well check the registrar webpage. They should have a procedure on there. You can also email the registrar you you don't have to worry about letting your autism show.
>>
>>18612770
This was back in 2004. She does photography on the side but really doesn't even make enough to pay any bills. Art, unless you are amazing already, is more of a hobby. Enjoy and grow it, but have a viable backup plan.
>>
>>18612751
I kinda am the same way. The dorm I moved into freshman year was very well designed. I moved in fucking early because I wanted to catch people before they made friends. You had to walk through the common area in full view in order to enter so I parked my self there, played pool and talked to the staff managing the rental equipment. If someone new came in I would go back to my floor a few minutes after they passed to see if they were on mine. If they were I would say hi, if not I would go back down and keep playing and if we made eye contact I would wave and smile and they would usually come down after they moved in. Be open and welcoming and it's easy as fuck your freshman year.
>>
>>18612786
Im not afraid of talking to people. Like i can introduce my self easy, no problem, its just, what good would that do? From the pre orientation i went to a month ago no one really talked to me just stares which is fine i dont really care. But then again i wouldn't want to make friends outside of the classes i take, because of needed help and notes etc. It seems unecassary but i understand with out friends my college experience would be different. Maybe a small circle is fine??
>>
>>18612823
During my orientation I only met one person but never was friends with them too.

A small circle is great. When I first started college, I had a huge group of friends to experience freshman year with. Second year, we didn't hang out as much in groups because we moved into various apartments with new roommates etc. My best friend, I met him as a new roommate then. Over time that circle still whittled down. Even now, almost 13 years after I met all my friends I only talk to one, that roommate I met in my sophomore year, and he's not even major related.

Thinking of making friends for notes is pretty autistic. Make friends regardless. Eventually I made in major friends but that was towards the end of my time and forming study sessions. Of all the people I met only two are friends now. Your going to meet people that will be with you forever but there is a fairly high attrition rate over the years and once freshman year is up, it becomes more difficult to make friends with each passing year. It's best to start with a large circle if you can just for the sheer number of options, it will thin out naturally over time.
>>
from the other thread, what's wrong with being a lawyer?
>>
>>18611953
Good luck my friend. Psychology is an interesting subject so I think you will enjoy it.
>>
I'm entering the third semester of my mechanical engineering studies and I've only made one friend, who doesn't attend most of the classes, either because he's already done them when he did electrical engineering or because he wants to do them later. I've never been in a study group and up until now have always studied on my own.
Did I screw myself out of a social life on campus for the remainder of uni? During the first semester I tried to find a study group and made postings either asking to join or starting one, but nothing came of it. When I was told you don't have to get in one right away I relaxed a little, but seeing now how everyone appears to have colleagues that attend classes together I feel like I missed my chance.
>>
I am starting at a University in Norway. Hello.
>>
>>18610263
Is Engineering really as strenuous as people make it out to be?
>>
>>18614349
From what I've experienced in the first 2 semesters, it's very demanding. People make a big deal out of mathematics but I have a very good grasp on the fundamentals so it hasn't been too difficult to me, but you'll learn a lot of completely new concepts in a short amount of time. When I started mechanics, the process of thought is so much more different to how you'd usually think, getting past that alone is a very big hurdle, and since every subsequent concept builds up on that it just keeps getting harder. If you've done programming before it can help - not because the approach is similar, but because it teaches you how to adapt your line of thinking.
Also, get ready to study a lot. There's a lot of stuff to learn and the lectures aren't enough to prepare you for the exams, so you'll have to fill in a lot of gaps. The tests are very tricky because they often consist of very few examples so each point counts significantly more, so even making a few mistakes will demolish your score.
In the case of mechanics again, we usually get 2 different problems that are worth 3 points each and can be subdivided into 2-3 subproblems. If you make any kind of error too many times or take too much time thinking about how to solve the problem you already failed, so you have to know the subject matter by heart.
Still, it's very rewarding understanding the classes and if you're the type of person who gets bored when not challenged enough, engineering is definitely for you.
>>
>>18614403
Ok great, that is perfect for me! Do you get time to go out and see people?
>>
>>18614426
I don't do it because I'm a spaz with no friends, but I certainly have the time. My current grade average is 2.5 and I failed 3 tests out of 30 or so, one of which I redid and passed. Last semester I barely was on campus because I could catch the two most frequent classes per online stream, which left me with a lot of free time. If you want to have outrageous success through and through and pass within the estimated amount of semesters, you'll have to sacrifice much more free time - as they say at my university, "If you pass mechanical engineering with flying colors, you don't have a life".
If you have a bunch of hobbies like drawing, videogames, friends and instruments you're probably gonna have to pick and choose but you won't become a recluse if you don't want to.
>>
>>18614445
Yeah makes sense, I'm going to be doing Aeronautical so I assume it'll be similar. Think it's one of those things where it doesn't matter once you're out of uni. Thanks
>>
>>18614456
Aeronautics have a lot of potential, I know a guy who studied it and now works for a private company that often gets hired by NASA.
It's a good idea to try and predict the market to figure out what will be in demand by the time you graduate, but most engineering fields are a really safe bet because they've been around for so long and are hard to replace, as opposed to an explosive industry like the internet, which changes drastically every 5 years.
Best of luck in your efforts, man.
>>
>>18614466
Yeah my Uncle works in Aeronautical so he has said he'll help me get some contacts for myself.

Thanks for explaining this to me:)
>>
>>18614301
You didn't completely miss out. Your best bet at this point however is seeing if there are any professional societies or fraternities (key word is professional, not as gay as you think) for your major project program. Join it. I had a large circle of friends but joined the chemistry fraternity half way through and met a good number of friends, two great ones that were in major.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.