[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mortality crisis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: iu[1].png (225KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].png
225KB, 2400x2400px
Hey Anons, I lost a relative earlier this year and have had an unrelenting mortality crisis since. I used to get them pretty bad for a few days from time to time, but this one has been going with no breaks in thought patterns for two months. I'm terrified and exhausted at the same time. What can I do to ease this dread?

I'm not religious at all, and I think that might be a part of the problem, per se. Still, please don't just say "get a religion bro" because that isn't how beliefs work. I can't trick myself into believing in an afterlife, I just do or don't. I've been indulging in escapist fantasy with futurist popscience but know it's all just empty hype, and even if it weren't all those other people I lost would still be gone forever.

I'm also incredibly lonely, so I think learning how to interact with people would help. I live in bumfuck nowhere and can't meet friends to save my life. I really do wish there was something more after death, if only to give me some piece of mind, but the line between possibility and wishful thinking is way too blurred for me at the moment. I've tried using appeal to (intellectual) authority but only found a mixed bag on the subject from the greatest minds in history, and if the answer is "maybe", I'm inclined to lean with the simpler reasoning of "no" than yes.
>>
That shit is hard to deal with man. You are probably depressed/anxious which makes these thoughts come in 1st place.
I used to stand in front of a mirror and watch myself thinking how one day there wont be me and i wont be able to sense anything. I would just stand there staring at myself trapped in those fucked up thoughts. Sometimes i even tried to enter a state of sensless while i was lying in bed before sleep, trying to see how horific being being dead is. It ultimately lead to super anxiety, i started having short breath, was analizing every minor thing as a deadly threat and at the end i thought i was having a hearth attack so i broke down and started shaking and screaming how i dont want to die.

You need to accept your mortality or at least accept the fact that you have a long road ahead of you and that its not the time to worry about it. Working out also helped me a lot, but i bet anything productive will help. Its all in your head, sooner you start dealing with it the better.
Good luck!
>>
Watch this. If you have some thoughts share.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14
>>
>>18609475
I've seen it before and respect those that have such an outlook but cannot come to that viewpoint myself. The impermanence of everything is unbearably horrifying.
>>
>>18609455
I have a depressive disorder but reality would be the same happy or not. I've tried coming to accept it but everything just seems like coping.
>>
Bump for help pls
>>
File: 1497050677580.png (361KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
1497050677580.png
361KB, 500x438px
This all reminds me of a pic I saw on here once. It was a pic of like a crusading knight and across it was this line of text:

We fear not death, for when death has come we are not, and when it has not come we are.

Or some words to that effect. I kind of like it. Also my therapist once told me that death is like going into a dreamless sleep, if that helps.
>>
>>18610420
I believe that's an Epicurus quote.
>Death does not concern us, for when we exist, it does not, and when it comes, we do not.

I remember reading about him a while back. His followers (In their native language) the phrase "I was not, I was, I am not, I care not" engraved on their tombstones.
>>
Self-enquiry, buddy boyo.
Nisargadatta Majaraj
Ramana Maharshi
The king of all, Edward Muzka
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYPWQMzwR4
>>
File: Epicurus.jpg (607KB, 2966x2098px) Image search: [Google]
Epicurus.jpg
607KB, 2966x2098px
>>18609400
Read up on the stoics. Marcus Aurelius has some very nice thoughts about fear of death.

>>18610420
>>18611251
Exactly.
>>
>>18611341
These are somehow not at all comforting (The stoic quotes, that is), but I feel like I need to power through and embrace it. I just wish there were an afterlife, m8's.
>>
>>18609400
Imagine this:
You are given a trip to anywhere you want in the world. You can stay in a house of your dreams and have the best vidya and car and all the people you want in there. BUT you could only stay there a few days.

Now would you be angry that the trip is so short or would you be happy you could go at all?

In the same way instead of thinking death as something scary try thinking of life as something wonderful you get a chance to try a while.

Death is just return to the regular schedule. You have not-existed a long time before your birth and you will not-exist a long time after you die.

And yeah you could say it's still little sas but no one said this deal was forever. Many frustrations in life come from the expectation that some things last forever.
>>
>>18611376
>I just wish there were an afterlife, m8's.
There is no before-life either, and that's worked out fine for every single person in the history of the universe.

Mortality crises are normal. We all go through it at one point or another. But if you spend the rest of your life preparing for that one, ridiculous moment of transition between life and death, instead of spending that time in a more vivid manner, ... Well I won't say you'll regret it (since you'll be dead, haha), but is that really how you want to live your life?

We've all been dead for a very, very long time before we were born anon, it's not that bad.
>>
>>18611417
>>18611420
>You have not-existed a long time before your birth and you will not-exist a long time after you die.
>We've all been dead for a very, very long time before we were born anon, it's not that bad.

I know and I get that, but there's a marked asymmetry between however many billion years prior and literal eternity afterwards. Pre-birth isn't terrifying not because it's neutral but because it's already over when you show up. The same can't be said for death.
>>
>>18611449
How did you feel about being born prior to the event? How do you think you're going to feel about death after the fact?

How long do you think you should live so you wouldn't have to deal with these thoughts? I bet even if you lived a thousand years you would start to worry at some point. It's just something you have to work with a while. I'm sure you have your peace with it sooner or later like many others before you.
>>
>>18611449
>Pre-birth isn't terrifying not because it's neutral but because it's already over when you show up. The same can't be said for death.
That wasn't the point, man. The point is that there is literally nothing terrifying or negative at all about being dead.

It sucks when people die, because you have to live on without them. Dying can suck if it's painful or whatever. But being dead? How the hell does that suck, exactly? Even if it did suck, which it doesn't, dead people don't have it in them to experience the sucking of being dead.

You fear dying, not death. And dying takes between a second if you're lucky and a few weeks if you're not. That's not that bad compared to all those years of living. And you are spending that time preparing for that ONE, SINGLE, STUPID MOMENT OF TRANSITION.
That's not worth it, man.

The irony is that on your deathbed you'll probably regret your crippling fear of dying more than anything else, if you continue that path.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.