[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Education, trades, and careers advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

File: 1502333088263.png (396KB, 1118x1028px) Image search: [Google]
1502333088263.png
396KB, 1118x1028px
Let's help those that are younger than us (or older trying to make a change) choose their careers or give general advice to those that are unsure and trying to find their path in life or generally get one another into positions to better their lives and those around them.

Let's talk options and advice on
>Universities and college (Bachelor's, masters, and PhDs)
>Medical careers
>Law careers
>Trades
>Military careers
>Agriculture and forestry
>Minimum wagecucks
>Government (local and national)
>Police and firefighting
>Freight (train, ship, aircraft, or truck)
>Transportation (pilots)
>Stock market careers
>Freelance work or writing
>Self employment/business owners
>Those that don't want to be NEETs anymore

Help your fellow anons out.

Let's do some good and help each other on to the right paths for us.

>PhD in chemistry working in industry.
>>
>>18608867
Any advice for a freshman community college attending wannabe comp sci major in Texas?
>>
Advice on PhD in Economics and the prereq of a MSc or Mres. Field in general
>>
>>18608883
Wannabe?
>>
File: plumbette.jpg (183KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
plumbette.jpg
183KB, 849x565px
Is it possible to go from having little to no hands-on aptitude to becoming a plumber or electrician? Almost everyone in those professions seems to have been around that kind of stuff for their entire lives. I'm more inclined towards book learning, this is the way I was raised, but it's not what I want, I genuinely want to be a tradesman.
>>
>>18609053

Apprentice electrician here. Look for a real apprenticeship program. Vocational schools won't mean shit. Especially for electrician. If you want to be an electrician look for an independent electrical contractor chapter or ibew in your city. They have apprenticeship programs and require no experience. Just a GED OR diploma.

Personally I'm thinking about going back to college to get a degree in finance or accounting or both.

Thoughts?

Working a trade is decent, but hard on your body. Plus I feel like I'm not living up to my full potential.
>>
>>18609206
Unfortunately where I live vocational school is a requirement, you need to complete a "pre-apprenticeship" program before registering as an apprentice. Right now I am planning to work enough hours at my current job to get pogey funding for this program, and in the meantime I am taking every possible opportunity to get used to working with tools.

How difficult is the math that electricians use? I don't remember shit from highschool. A guy I know who went to vocational said that they do a good math refresher course, that alone may make the program worth it.
>>
While I have an inheritance business and need a Collage in New England so when I go back to where I live it's not as far. So if any of you have gone to any good schools in New England please tell me. Preferably in Massachusetts!
>>
>best road to a 6-figure salary
>school system here works a bit differently

Currently going for my bachelor in International Business and Management studies.
I am doing it here on the second-highest level there is, one before University (but it is actually comparable to the University in the US).

The study is very broad, so i will have to do a Masters at an actual University (highest level).
I will probably do something Management & Leadership orientated, because i think that the easiest to bullshit my way trough.
>Cant do real maths, yes i can make a balance sheet and sheit. But not functions, integrals whatever.

Average starters management salary here is around 45-60k.
I will then work for around 3 years (which is also needed to start an MBA), and ask my boss if he can partially finance the MBA.

I will then do an MBA, where depends on how much money i have at that time
> If <60k then here in The Netherlands
> if 60-100k in London or Paris
> if 130k or above probably Harvard (yes i know, its not number 1 in MBA's, but the name is impressive and will give employers a hard one

After MBA salary is an easy 95k at least

thoughts?
>>
>>18609222

Electricians hardly use math at work. If it is used, it's simple addition, division and maybe some trig.

An example, if you need to find the voltage, current or resistance of a circuit, you use the formula voltage=current x resistance, and rearrange the equation based on what values you know.

And be ready to become fluent in metric conversions, like changing milli amps to kiloamps, etc.
>>
Can you go more into what it's like being an electrician?
>>
>>18609610
Seconding this
>>
>pick an art and design course in my local uni
I hear everywhere that going with art related stuff is a career suicide. In a scale of 0/10 how fucked am I?
>>
>>18609610
Not him but I can tell you it's simple once you get the hang of it , is it dangerous ? Oh fuck yes it is even for a pro since one wrong move and your ass just got shocked for 200v but as said with time the danger decreases , basically be prepared to get zapped often early on not by your mistake just be other people being retards.
>>
>>18609789
Art is useless unless you actually have talent or just have extra change to blow , never take out a loan or anything for a degree in art
>>
>>18609789

Depends. If it's commercial art you can potentially get a good career out of it. You should be good with people/networking. You should have some measure of skill and/or talent. You should be disciplined, especially if you're lacking in skill and/or talent. You should probably be going to a school with some sort of reputation, or you should be confident in your program's curriculum and professors.

To note, if you're not afraid of front end programming (it's not very hard btw) or at least interfacing with people that do that, you might want to consider UI and front end web design. Check out the following link for an idea of what I'm talking about:

https://dribbble.com/
>>
Any advice for me, I got my associates in science in psychology but i learned it's something that interest me but not wanting to make a career out of it so I switched my major to engineering, electrical to be more exact. I'm taking my prerequisites at my community college than switching over to uni. Any advice regarding jobs I might be able to do while studying and what I'll need like a laptop or certain knowledge in things?
>>
>>18609803
I am getting a free ride of university. Its 1000€ a year but my state scholarship is of 1200€
>>18609854
My course doesnt do web design .Its 24 people who draw like shit in a room. Design is mostly industrial and product.
>>
Possible career paths for a history major besides teaching in the US? I'm not taking out loans and I'll probably have some experience in working at a museum too. Might also double major in something more useful like Economics
>>
>>18608867
Alright, so here's my situation.
I studied a diploma for game programming.
I have a year and half experience in data entry,
then 8 months of apps programming experience.
now i had been unemployed for a year+.
i studied in Singapore and i signed a bond which required me to work there for 3 years or i have to pay them back the tuition fees which i have 8 months of bond left / about 8kUSD of debt.
I can't even work at other countries before finishing the bond as well.
due to recent drops in economy, Singapore is getting stricter and stricter in their policy of hiring foreigners, so i can't even get in McDonalds or Starbuck to complete the bond.
Even if i found a good company that's hiring progammer, i have to meet several difficulties, which is get chosen for interview, succeed in the interview, pray that no better candidates shows up while i'm waiting for responses, and that the company have quota to hire a foreigner.
During this one year i had burnt my savings, and now have to receive supports from family to continue paying my rent, and feed me.
I just wanted to know, if there's a way out of this, I'm stucked into this oblivion where i feel like suicide is the best option for me.
I had seek help from friends and families, even shamelessly asked help from previous employed company.
right now, i ran out of options.
I'm just wondering if any of you have the wisdom or experiences to deal with this situation.
If there's none, at least tell me of a way to kill myself painlessly.
>>
>>18609933
Nothing, at least not without more school. If you do you well enough with your history degree you can apply for law school. Even a bachelors in economics wont mean much, you will need a masters if you want to work in that field.
>>
File: 1501116513482.jpg (292KB, 700x699px) Image search: [Google]
1501116513482.jpg
292KB, 700x699px
I went through an accelerated HVAC course at a community college. I applied for financial aid, was able to get a little bit of money for the two semesters I was there.

Took about 9 months, then I asked my instructor for a letter of rec and I looked at my local union's website and checked the list of all the affiliated contractors that are associated with the union. I then emailed every single one of them my resume, letter of rec, and a short note detailing my interest to work for them. Of the 30+ emails I sent, I only got two bites.

Interviewed with one of them, got hired on as a "tradesman."

3 years later I'm a second year apprenctice, make $41/hr currently (journeyman tops out at $62.50)

Downside is...I live in silicon valley and work around apple cucks all day long. Physical work in the elements (hot as fuck today)fixing problems for fags who make 200K to smoke vapes and stare at their screens all day long.

End of the day, it's a good gig and id recommend trying for a union position. Good medical, sweet pension, not bad at all.
>>
Bump for great thread
>>
>>18610007
Yo wtf man. Just hold on there. Something good will happen.
>>
I don't want to sound to whingey, but how do I find a career of I'm 22, dropped out of highschool, have no skills or abilities and am basically a manchild? I have literally no idea what to do with myself
>>
File: traffic-controller-asic.png (108KB, 849x657px) Image search: [Google]
traffic-controller-asic.png
108KB, 849x657px
It's a shot in the dark, but I'll ask.
I graduated university as an electrical engineer last year and have been searching for work endlessly since then. I don't have any internships/coop under my belt, which may or may have not hindered me in the long run. Either way, it's not something I have the option of going back and changing now.
Anyway, I'm pretty much tired of trying to find a job working for a company since I'm getting absolutely nowhere with it. Is there a way I can get into freelancing as an engineer/becoming self employed? I was thinking to provide some sort of service... giving engineering advice at a cheap price? Designing electrical hardware for cheap?
How would I even get started in that sort of thing? I imagine you'd have to shill yourself to an incredibly high degree and network like crazy to get your name out there. Otherwise it seems like a completely foreign concept to me.
>>
>>18610227
Join the military. That was always my failure backup plan. You may discover some hidden talent that will be recognized. Or you will be a basic fuckup but at least you're taken care of for a few years while you figure your shit out.
>>
>>18610227
Figuring out what you want to do would be a start so you can start making a road map on how to get where you want to be in life. Do some career tests online to see where you'd be suited. It's never too late to go back to school, you could at least try get your highschool diploma so that you're at least a bit more qualified to work somewhere.
In the meantime just start looking for work as a lowly wagecuck until you figure out what it is you want to do. It's not like you have to be some savant to do bullshit jobs that were meant for brainlets.
>>
>>18610259

With no work experience, you really have the short end of the stick

All your theory means jack shit when you haven't ever tried implementing it in real-life conditions and not a computer simulation or a controlled enviroment at your school

Also, at least in the US, the novice engineer field is pretty saturated because STEM was memed so hard during the crisis. If you have nothing to make you stand out from the other +30.000 graduates a year, you are gonna have a bad time.

Also, try searching broader, don't just look for engineer gigs, you would be surprised by how many jobs your skillset could match that don't require an engineering degree.

Also, try searching way broader geographically. Maybe you will need to move 300 miles to land your first job. But that will be your stepping stone, and once you gain some years of real world experience, you will be much more valuable
>>
>>18610227
>>18610269

Don't join the military. It is a terrible failure backup plan. You won't magically discover any hidden talents. You'll be a basic fuckup that regrets wasting four years yet not figuring out your life and worst of all you'll blow all your money away on alcohol. this is the theme of helpless recruits
>>
>>18610227
Was there anything you ever wanted to do, even as a kid?

Shit I only became a scientist because of Masters of Orion II because the topics under the research tab sounded neat.
>>
Is a major in film viable? What will it get me?
>>
>>18610317
My next door neighbor got a film degree. It did not work out well for him. Mainly because his parents wouldn't let him move away from home to a good school. I feel they really stunted his passion.

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to direct, write, act, special effects, audio or music?>>18610317

It can be viable however, my undergrads film school had an Oscar winner this year.
>>
File: Layer-3.png (614KB, 1500x860px) Image search: [Google]
Layer-3.png
614KB, 1500x860px
>>18610278
See that's the thing, I entirely understand the employer's perspective. I know that I'm just one of +30000 graduates in my year alone that is begging for a job. Admittedly I've tried my best to make myself as unique as possible by being involved with clubs, held leadership positions in said clubs, took on some self directed projects at home (working on some "cosplay" costumes for halloween at the moment). But I really don't know how I'm supposed to make myself standout besides being some boy genius that invents the next hot device on the market. But in that case, what's the point of even working for anyone if you have your own product you can make money off of?
>don't just look for engineer gigs
How is this going to help me with starting my career as an engineer? I've been offered a job as an assembler but turned it down because there was virtually no chance of moving up. As far as I'm concerned, listing "technician" in your resume doesn't help get you engineering positions. Everyone I've spoken to said to stick to getting engineering positions because working as something else will make employers think that's all you're good for despite your education.
>try searching way broader geographically
Been doing that. Doesn't really help all that much.

Point is I've lost faith in employers giving me the opportunity to build my experience and all the advice I get for searching for a job is the same advice over and over again. Which is why I want to take the bull by its horns so to speak and employ myself.
>>
>>18608867
Any advice on cultivating discipline in my studies? I'm a lazy fuck that only studies when I feel like it.
>>
>>18610345
I was a total fuckup in freshman year of college but mainly because I hated my major. Once I started to figure out what I wanted to do I religiously attended office hours. This forced me to read the book and purposefully find shit I didn't understand so I had something to learn. What kind of discipline are you in need of?
>>
>>18610349
I'm a pre-Med, I know what I want, I attended all the shadowing sessions I know this is what I want to do. But I always let my emotions and my temptations take control of me and I always procrastinate and not achieve my potential. How do I cultivate this self discipline to not let myself get controlled by these temptations to just splurge 2 hours on 4chan? It all starts from maybe I'll spend a couple of minutes on the internet. I am doing ok with college now though, but not to the extent that I think I'm capable of, I want to give it my all.
>>
>>18610364
I had similar issues. Still do. When I was in undergrad I actually brought my books or study materials to really low key bars that were around campus and drink and read. We also had a ton of hookah lounges too so I would often take my materials and smoke and read in a corner alone. For me, combining my vices with my school work did wonders because I could satisfy my id while doing what ever the fuck I needed to do. When I moved to gradschool, when I did experiments on various instruments, I was on 4chan at the same time, posting during long run times that weren't long enough to merit me walking away. Shit some of my best memories are doing hours long experiments late at night while shitposting during the trayvon trial on /pol/ or nba playoffs on /sp/. That was solid dissertation tier results too.
>>
>>18610310
I used to want to be a cop or firefighter like every 5 year old boy ever

In highschool I didn't really want to be anything. I didn't have any interest in any subject except for music but I've given up on the idea of doing anything music related for a living. I've never had any aptitude for anything either

I'm in a minwagecuck job right now
>>
Been working in An office setting for a few years and i hate it. I grew up working on cars and bikes, and restored a few in my spare time. I've been thinking about pursing a career in welding and going to night school to get certified.
>>
>>18610381
Yea that's the exact same problem. I'm ok with the vices but I feel I could be invincible with them being controlled like 3.8-3.9 tier GPA is really possible. But I can't get over my bad habit of being a lazy fuck.
>>
>>18610387
Do you plan on at least finishing highschool? Unfortunately, many opportunities are going to require at least that. Anything beyond that, college maybe needed but don't worry about your age relative to the other students.
>>
Couldn't find a post to contribute to. I
ChemE PhD student if anyone wants to ask my anything.
>>
>>18610406
How lazy of a fuck are you? Shit I had a real hard time of balancing out studying, 4chan, videogames, and trying to fuck girls. I always went to bed at like 3 am and got up for 8 am classes then slept till 2 on the weekends. Eventually the sheer necessity of life dictated changes in my sleeping habits but fuck here I am with a PhD a job and I am still on 4chan at least 10 minutes of every hours every day barring meetings. It's insane. I go to the gym and I'm on 4chan between sets. Stuck in traffic? 4chan. This fucking place I've been here since 2006. You're here forever.

In all honesty I have fuck all discipline but I know what needs to be done and ruthlessly do it...with 4chan in the background. It's addiction where I can vent every foul thing in my head that I can't do or say in real life.
>>
>>18610414
Is chemical engineering always about pushing fluids through pipes?
>>
>>18610419
Like it's not just 4chan, it's youtube, video games, friends and porn. I want to get rid of all of these distractions and focus on what matters now. Get what I need, go into Med school, rest, then restart this grind when I'm in there.
>>
>>18610421
Process engineering yeah. Fluid mixtures and pipes are extremely efficient both for transport and reactions.

Virtually every single man made thing that you can see went through a pipe at some point. Including food which would not exist in the modern world without the haber-process.

That being said you chemical engineers rarely design a plant. They work on diverse problems. Sometimes not even in engineering (financial auditing etc).

I'm working on material design on classified systems. I model and optimize the energy potentials of mixed particle systems to do this.
>>
>>18610432
So you're young me. What's your current GPA?
In my instance, I wore that lazy shit like armor. I embraced it. But I was also really good at my classes what I figured my shit out. My system worked for me and it worked damn well although I didn't have iPhones yet since they hadn't yet been invented. Fuck I didn't own one until end of 2011. I loved my lifestyle and I set personal goals of just "yeah I'm going to get an A in that class" for myself and to say I did it but I also got a hard on doing as well as the Mary Sue's that had Ridgid study lifestyles with all work no play full of discipline. It really came down to the attitude I placed upon myself of "no, I have to get this done to accomplish this goal, 4 Chan and all the other gay shit can come after". I would lock down studying even weeks before tests while doing my drinking or smoking, then after I would give myself about two hours to let my id run the fuck wild. It was a pretty good balance. Not samurai discipline but it worked well and I didn't kill myself and i have a lot of fond memories. I didn't really get serious until gradschool. I'm sorry if you're looking for actual discipline advice but I just want you to know, what ever works for you works best.
>>
>>18610215
the most useless advice ever is "something good will happen".
let me tell you, NO.
things will always find a way to get worse.
fuck you if you're not just shitposting here.
>>
>>18610342

> Leadership positions
> Cosplay

Good GOD

NO

Just

NO

I would never ever ever hire you based off that.
You should never advertise that in a resume.
You should never tell collegues about that for the first 3-6 months of employment.
Don't be that guy.

If you could invent something, then do it.
But can you?
Do you have the real-world experience to even have an opinion about how to make a product from idea, to design, to testing, to finalizing it?
A real technical product, not just a fucking costume or a 35% greenstuff warhammer convertion?

Take a technician job. Learn how to function in a workplace. Learn how to interact with working people. Learn to meet on time, do your thing, going the extra mile, sucking up, kissing ass, and all those handy life skills that will actually further your career.

One of the magical things that a job can get you is a letter of recommendation.

That shit is fucking golden. That shit opens fucking doors to all kinds of shit.

I have two of those that will get me hired to basically any kind of job because they say everything an emplyer wants:
First one was when I was a basic slave in a supermarket from age 14-15:

> Anon meets on time, does what he is supposed to, and is adjustable to change

My second is from a fucking phone-interviewer job where I just asked questions:

> Anon goes towards his work with seriousness, dedication and professionalism and has been a valued member of our team

I am paraphrasing here, but the papers are in my drawer and you can bet I am going to use them in the future, alongside the hopefully equally as positive one I am going to get from my currrent job once I decide to move on (9 years employed there so far)

If you want to land a good job, you need to prove that you can do a worse job in a satisfying way.
You never had an internship, so you are a wildcard when it comes to work-qualities.
You might be intelligent and skilled, but if you talk back and slack off you are useless
>>
File: FUY94QTIQK3O580.MEDIUM.jpg (30KB, 620x458px) Image search: [Google]
FUY94QTIQK3O580.MEDIUM.jpg
30KB, 620x458px
>>18610485
For the record, I don't advertise my irrelevant nerd shit that I do for fun to employers, I'm not an autist I know that shit isn't relevant. I worked on an inverter at home for shits, have mentioned that to employers. They feign interest and that's as good as of a reaction I get.
I could invent something. The problem is coming up with an idea that will actually sell. I've made shit in school that followed the idea->design->test->finalize procedure, I'm confident I can do the same thing on my own accord. Doesn't help if you can't come up with an idea though.
>Take a technician job
I literally have "building technician" listed on my resume familia. I've been working for my pap's company on and off since highschool. Trust me when I say that shit means nothing in the engineering realm. No employer has even bothered asking about my work there.
Just as an fyi, I have applied for some electrical technician positions to see what that would do. That's how I ended up getting the offer as an assembler.
>One of the magical things that a job can get you is a letter of recommendation.
>That shit is fucking golden
If a letter of recommendation is some golden key that I haven't been using, I can ask my dad to get his boss to write one for me. I sincerely doubt it will bring me any closer to landing an engineering job.

Regardless, my original question was how I could go about freelancing and if this is a possible avenue I can take to get the experience I obviously need.
>>
Between second and third semester of bachelor in mechanical engineering here. How much does a master affect options, skill, salary and developing potential?
I intend to tackle the master course after getting my bachelor, but I'd like to know whether it'll make the difference between 5 or 6 figures with time for the family to spare or if it hardly matters.
>>
>>18610608
US or EU?

For the latter get a M. For the former it's generally a waste of time and you can usually get your company to pay for it later in your career.
>>
Excellent thread, well done. We need more like this on /adv/, instead of the usual bullshit with one whining relationship thread after another.
>>
>>18608867
Should I go to college for two years before joining the military? I plan on going to linguistics so would a 2 year degree in some language plus autist level free time put into learning a language help?????????????
>>
I want to quit my day job and try to get bills paid through odd jobs and plasma donations.

Maybe even selling weed on the side as needed.

I have a couple thousand to start up, but really just want to be lazy, or at least my own boss.

Sick of the 9-5 M-F, want to be able to party all night, and pick right back up where I left off in the morning
>>
>>18611412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2MmqbAaoZA
>>
>Got a degree in political science and minor in pre-law
>Back when I joined university I wanted to become a lawyer
>Now realizing that I hate the drudgery of reading and writing dry reports and documents and instead loved reading about Roman and Greek philosophy, the nature of individuals and civilization
>Realize I can't make a real career out of philosophy or psychology really today
>Having nightmares at the prospect of going to law school for 3 years and 100k more debt

How do I get out and where do I go from here? I still like reading, writing, and talking to people one on one (but not just making phone calls all day).
>>
>>18611322
I would do it. You get to be young before the drills of the military. I would get the full degree though. It helps if you want to be an officer of some kind. My friend double majored in political science and Italian then masters in human rights and law and he is now a spook in the Navy. Loves every minute of it. Thought his degrees didn't really help him with stuff he needed to know to be a spook. It just proved he can learn.
>>
>>18610584

Yes, a letter of recommendation will absolutely improve your chances of landing a job

Look at it this way: if you were to hire someone, and they both had the same qualifications, but one had a letter praising work spirit, drive and intelligence, which one would you be more likely to call in for a face-to-face interview?
>>
>>18612060
If they have the same qualifications I'm calling them both in. I knew several people that got glowing review primarily because they were brown nosers.
>>
>>18610668
EU, Austria specifically. Thanks for the info.
>>
I just graduated with a BS in Software Engineering but I had no internships since I was a lazy as fuck NEET.

I currently have a shitty part time job in retail but I'm wondering what can I do in order to get a career started in 6-12 months?
>>
>>18612060
I mean for that same reason, I've gone out of my way to get references from profs of mine and given them to employers. I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference that you're claiming here. It's not like I'm not getting interviews, I definitely am getting interviews, but I'm not getting past those interviews because of my clear lack of experience. Bullshitting and studying like crazy before an interview only gets you so far when employer's faces turn sour the moment they ask you if you've had work experience as an engineer and you tell them no.

I take it you don't have any answer on my question regarding freelancing? That is if I'm even speaking to the same anon anymore.
>>
>>18612444

Yes it's me

I thought you were mostly weeded out beforehand..

Maybe you should focus hard on entry-level positions, or positions where your graduate project has strong synergies with, but it's going to be hard regardless.

One thing I know is that engineers are more likely to get manager positions in factories and such, even with little experience, but you might not have had the right courses at school and if you are still a pimply-faced youth that gets pretty distant as an oppurtunity.

No advice towards freelancing sorry
>>
i want to teach english in japan. i already get that japan isn't what it's like in my animays and mangos and that in a work environment, i should dedicate myself to the company.
>>
Need some advice.

For a bs in bioinformatics and a bs in molecular,bioscinces. I wanted to pursue a PhD in microbiology, so I discussed in the biology aspects while pretty much ignoring the bioinformatics side, as I hated programming.

Now I don't want to get a PhD in bio, having worked in a research lab. I'm thinking about applied math or statistics, but I don't know if that's really what I want to do.

I was wondering if there were resources people,have used to identify a career they are happy with. Like some tests or counseling or questions you asked yourself.
>>
Do not choose Psychology unless you get a Master degree or higher in a specific field, because you aren't going to get a job with anything less.
>>
>>18614026
I had no books I read or resources. If I had to do it all over again though, I would go on linkedin, find people with similar degrees in various jobs and I would send them a message asking if I could talk with them about their experiences and their jobs and if they had any advice. I would find a smattering of different people and experiences.

For me I had no direction. I was good at chemistry. But as I was looking at PhDs I thought back on what undergrad did not teach or make clear and that was
>Polymers, never even discussed them
>Electrochemistry, was taught it but really didn't understand it
>Color, why we see color and what is the origin of the absorption or emission, learned it but didn't appreciate it

I found advisors that did all three and picked the one I got along with. When it came to a job I had no idea where I was going to go but I learned in depth about those three things and felt ready to jump off into whatever was available and new.
>>
Should I go to medical or dental school?
>>
>>18612060
A letter of recommendation means jack shit when faced with a superior credential or experience. Both of which you will have when you apply for a job, otherwise you're basically on the same level as anyone else that applied for the job.

You really think the person doing the hiring gives a rat's ass about some recommendation for a person they don't even know when their reputation is on the line should they hire you?
>>
>>18614151
It's a question of do you like looking at teeth or do you like looking at some other form of anatomy?

What kind of medicine would you be interested in?
>>
>>18614151

> Medical = bloods, guts and other bodily functions

> Dental = puss, stinks and very bad ergonomics

You choose
>>
>>18614199

It gives you an edge when it comes to actually getting an interview

Passing the interview is another matter

Also, I firstly suggested EE-anon to take any kind of job to get work experience, but recommended a cover letter to gain the edge when job-seeking.

Maybe it's because I am from Northern Europe, but a letter saying I did a good job, was able to meet on time and be dynamic, would look pretty good.
Maybe in the US you look only at workplace/function, but with the diversity quotas you guys are rocking, all of that gets watered down when a barely-passing minority gets fast-tracked to positions that theoretically should require work ethic
>>
>>18614212
If med school I'd want to go to either dermatology or plastic surgery; if dental, orthodontics without question.
>>
Join the navy. Learn a trade. Get free collage education. Be set for a career in the civilian world
>>
>>18615077
I would do dermatology, you are helping more lives that way.

Orthodontics is also good

Don't do plastic surgery unless it's to help burn victims or other injuries. Don't enable the Kardashians.
>>
>>18614041
For my resume should I not put that I have an associates in psychology
Also I don't know what to major in, I might be going back to school this fall or spring, not sure.

Any advice?
>>
>>18615190
Sound advice. I chose either of those because I want to have personal time, and not be stuck working for most of the day.
>>
>>18615294
We'll both of those choices are good. You won't ever have to tell a family they will be dying. Unless they have really advanced skin cancer or you find a tumor in the jaw or something.

>>18615241
Depends on the job. I personally put all my academic credentials. If you get invited into a in person interview, they can be good talking points if you know it well. Don't put anything on a resume that you do not fully understand or cannot explain.
>>
Is International Relations a good career path? I used to study History at university but I dropped out due to mental ilness. Now I'm on meds that work really well and I want to restart my life by doing Liberal Arts and Sciences with developmental geography and a minor in International Relations. Since I've done half of my history major I could skip one year, but I've been thinking of adding a year of French & Communication. I also plan on doing a masters degree in IR. Should I go through with my plan?
>>
>>18615405
My friend did that but he had a hell of a time getting a job honestly. The US state department couldnt take him due to the economic crash in 2008-09 so he fumbled around for a few years languishing at a facility counseling drug addicts. He said fuck it and joined the Navy but with his degrees he became a spook. He loves it now.
>>
>>18615405

Sounds good on paper

Will get you a job as a tourist guide at best afterwards

I know a guy who bacheloored in it and is sweeping and washing floors now
>>
>>18615430
>>18615459
Thanks for replying. My problem is that I'm not sure what else to do.
>>
>>18615564
Well a degree does not mean you can only do X

You can do anything you want if you have the skills and effort to learn new things and be enthusiastic and inquisitive about it. Unfortunately, schools do a shit job of telling this to people or even describing options in various majors so don't feel bad if you don't know what you can do or what's available. I went directly to professors and asked what jobs or careers are there, what are they like and how can I get into them or what resources they can point me towards.
>>
File: imgladpaul.jpg (183KB, 750x559px) Image search: [Google]
imgladpaul.jpg
183KB, 750x559px
I intend to pursue Electrical Engineering in university in California.

I am neither the best nor worst student. My SAT was 1270. How much should I study?

I received a 3 in AP Calculus and have no Physics background. I have been told that this major is highly difficult. What can I do to prepare?
>>
I want to be a networker, but I have no idea where to start.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.