[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What developer jobs can I get that don't require much social

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4405.png (57KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4405.png
57KB, 800x600px
What developer jobs can I get that don't require much social interaction?
I don't mean "not at all", I just want to be able to work quietly without being bothered but it seems all dev jobs nowadays are social butterfly web shit.
>>
By the way I know C, C++, Python and Scheme, have a maths degree and some experience (but am by no means a sysadmin) with Unix based systems.
>>
>>18607381
Nobody cares. The vast majority of jobs require interaction with others. You're just going to need to deal with that
>>
>>18607383
>nobody cares about skills, they just want me to be outgoing
Is that so?
You also didn't read the OP correctly, I said I wanted a job where I could work quietly without having to constantly do peer reviewing and other useless shit.
I didn't mean I wanted to constantly be alone, I know that doesn't exist.
>>
i guess it's just luck. i donmt think there are specific jobs that guarantee you this setting, but they definitely exist. trial and error.
i know someone who codes for the government and he can sit at home and do whatever he wants, whenever he wants and gets a huge paycheck. but he's not allowed to talk about the exact work he does. idk how he got that job. he is highly intelligent but has zero social skills. his apartment is a huge mess and he might still be a virgin at age 34. he also once almost married a mail ordered bride from russia. so yeah...
>>
>>18607398
Do you know which branch of the (I assume US) government he works for? Or is it a defense contractor?
That sounds like an ideal job even without the huge paycheck. I could apply to my country's intel agencies and see where that takes me, perhaps.
>>
Don't go into electronic trading

I have people bothering me every few minutes
>>
>>18607414
Algo trading isn't comfy? I do have a relevant skillset but I have no clue what the environment is like.
>>
>>18607406
i have zero clue. he works for the swiss government and my suspection is that he's responsible for something like ensuring the security of online content that nobody is allowed to access and constantly be up to date with the newest methods to combat hacker attacks.

i do think that your best bet is working for the government. they can afford to just hire people for skills and not for social interactions. they need the best in their field and not someone who "brings muffins on friday".

from what i know, this guy has millions on the bank since he earns so good but never uses any. he just drives a crazy expensive car. that's everything he spends his money on.
>>
It really depends.
Things what you are talking about usually happen when product is highly client-oriented - frontend, mobile shit.
On the backend it is quite opposite btw. Usually they do write some libraries or complex systems that noone sees, so they do not bother themselves with sprints and releases. You can find such positions usually in big companies i think.
>>
>>18607423
agreeing with this. i know a guy who works for microsoft and develops specific systems for big companies. he often works from home, but has SOME social interaction with the clients.
>>
>>18607420
Interesting. Gov jobs here pay like shit, but the environment is probably similar.
Security isn't my field but maybe there are some niche jobs I'm qualified for.
>>18607423
Yeah, I've seen front end dev environments and it's absolute hell.
The thing with back end development jobs is that, from what I've seen, it's mostly luck as well. Either the environment is highly stressful or it's more relaxed. It probably depends on the company.
>>
>>18607417
I am in charge of a ton of applications including algos but it's anything but comfy

I am constantly switching between talking with sales/traders (in multiple langauges), directing IT, coding/debugging, doing data analyses, system failure handling and thinking about the overall strategy for the business.
>>
>>18607467
Sounds tedious. What's your background? It sounds like you're in a rather high level/manager position, is the workload the same for mere developers?
What about the quants?
>>
>>18607479
Math

I haven't been doing it too long to be honest, you can just do development but you're not gonna get amazing pay just doing that
>>
>>18607804
MS or PhD?
>you're not gonna get amazing pay just doing that
The salaries for devs are still decent right? Managerial positions might have higher ceilings but the stress doesn't sound worth it. I'd rather be paid to build Python models all day, not to mention it's less competitive as well.
>>
>>18607823
MS, you don't need a PhD for this kind of thing

Even if you're just doing system development there'll be stressful days if something breaks and causes tens/hundreds of thousands of losses and you have to explain why and fix things
>>
I guess it's the same as working for a web-based business where a system failure causes the site to stop working, except you have to wear a suit and a lot of the people you work with are sales rather than other developers
>>
>>18607857
Are there PhD-only jobs at your company?
>there'll be stressful days
Yeah of course. I'm talking about the everyday routine.
On average, do you have an idea of how much devs are paid at your firm?
>>
Pay for pure devs will probably be comparable to tech firms

There isn't really much upside vs tech firms (other than lower competition for the job) if all you're going to do is development IMO
>>
>>18607864
Not really, nothing in finance really needs a PhD to be honest. Some top quant hedge funds might use it as a way to filter applicants but that's about it

Pay really depends on your ability, luck, and bargaining skills. Hard to break $200-300k without doing management of the business side really.
>>
>>18607868
I would imagine the work environment to be different from tech firms.
>if all you're going to do is development
I had the grades and motivation to do a master's degree. I could go back to school for a statistics or math MS and try to break into the more quantitative side of things, but it seems highly competitive.
>>18607884
Would you say that going back to college for a master's would be worth it regardless?
Honestly even breaking 80-90k in a city with a decent cost of living would already be great. I'm not interested in doing business meetings and shaking hands all day regardless of the pay.
>>
>>18607898
The Masters in a hard subject like math/physics/etc. would prove to employers that you have intelligence beyond just coding so I think it's good. Really that's all important - making your IQ seem as high as possible to the interviewer.

Management would involve spending a lot of time thinking about business strategy and directing the overall tech infrastructure, not shaking hands all day (just occasionally)
>>
>>18607941
Not the same guy, but I saw people make the distinction between quantitative analysts, quantitative developers, quantitative researchers and quantitative traders.
What's the deal with that, is it all the same thing?
>>
>>18608169
From what I know, analysts, researchers and traders are the same. They develop models to make money.
Developers implement those models, and they're usually paid less.
>>
I think any enterprise programming job that involves working on complex projects with Java/C++/C# is going to be more formal and less social.
Look for huge, non-SJW companies like Oracle, Cisco or IBM. They'll just expect you to do your job correctly and leave you the fuck alone.
>>
>>18608732
>Oracle, Cisco or IBM
>non SJW
Are they really
>>
>>18607281
Just become a code monkey for as big of a firm as you can get
>>
>>18608444
I don't really see anyone use these terms nowadays to be honest

Most of them other than for derivative pricing jobs are just marketing buzzwords that were used in the 00s to hire people from STEM fields. Research is research and it's all quantitative in the end because everything in finance and markets is full of numbers.

It doesn't matter what subjob you do when you're young as long as you're learning the markets/tech through your job.
>>
>>18607281
freelancing
>>
File: Sa6dnVR.jpg (53KB, 720x907px) Image search: [Google]
Sa6dnVR.jpg
53KB, 720x907px
>>18609059
>>18609059
Hes' right. Software developer here. If you want a non-social environment, go to a big corporation. Much less likely to have things like pair programming or tightly integrated teams. This is, of course, bad for your career, but good for your autism I guess.

Another option is to go into dev ops. The money is about the same (sometimes more if you get really good) and you get to just sit around alone playing with computers and systems all day.

My job is 100% pair programming in ruby and elixir but it's still based. Not all social interactions on dev teams are shitty. One of the guys I paired with a lot earlier this year was a Trump supporter so we shit talked liberals all day while working. It was fun.

Avoid teams with "muh diversity". If you see a lot of women or non-Indian and non-Asian minorities, run. Also run if more than half the team is non-white. Stick to majority white teams. Indians and Asians working in the US are pretty based even though they get a lot of flack. Indians are super communal, so they'll do anything for you if you ask. They're always eager to help. Some of them really are idiots and the typical Pajeet java developers, but most aren't.

Just my take.
>>
>>18607898
developers make decent money for sure. I'm at 120K living in Atlanta, where the cost of living is relatively low.
>>
>>18609458
>freelancing
>doesn't require social skills
Good joke
>>
>>18609466
Why would it hurt your career to work for a big corp?
>>
>>18610550
bump
>>
>>18611195
last bump
>>
>>18610550
it won't hurt your career to work at a big company, it will hurt it to never work in a tightly integrated team and learn how functioning teams work together properly and learn things like agile methodologies and proper iteration management and cross-role pairing and and how to influence team decisions and how to recognize unhealthy team issues and all that social crap that comes with the job. socializing is a big part of being on any team, including a software team. you can get jobs that are very individual-focused, but you miss out on a lot of skills by going for those jobs. Any guess which skills companies look for more senior developers? The social ones. They want people who can lead and manage teams, and people who can come into a poor team and make it good, and people who can evangelize best practices across an organization. Working by yourself in a corner will prepare you for none of that.
>>
why not work remotely? i’ve been doing it for almost 10 years now - couldn’t imagine going back to an office
>>
>>18607281

code from home. fuck those chatty bitches!
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.