[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adults, Please Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment with husband. We are pretty comfy.

Husband may be moved at almost any time due to job (military).

Is it stupid to look into buying a house? The usual downpayment to save for is about %20 right?

Just looking for financial advise, we're just entering the part when we can save up for such a thing.
>>
Howz the sex
>>
>>18606959

It's pretty great. Not related tho but thanks for asking.
>>
>>18606952
The military is willing to pay for your place, right? I mean, you could buy property on your own, but the second you need to sell it and can't, that investment becomes a liability. Add this to the fact that you will be in charge of maintenance, and you're basically giving yourself a part time job on top of that.

I'd save for if/when he gets out of the military, and settles down in the private sector (or just retires), but I see no reason for you to purchase at the present.
>>
>>18606952

probably yeah, though it depends on the pattern. 'could move at any time' is different than 'will move at any time' and they usually get a lot of notice in my experience, not necessarilly on where, but when. but selling a house can take over a year. you could always try to rent it out but if you're ever needed you'd have to fly back, and do you want ot settle down for good in the town you're in?

plus military gives you a housing stipend on top of the regular pay, so its not like buying a house would save you money. use that stipend, save your regular paychecks and when you want to buy a house you'll have so much saved up that you'll be able to make al lthe payments you would have been making if you bought it earlier desu.

source: navy brat.
>>
>>18606988
He gets a set amount for housing. We could live on base and they'd take the entire amount, but right now we're living in a place below that amount and pocketing the rest.

Ideally we would both like a little more space, but we're making this work at the moment. It's getting small though.

>>18607004
His base is currently a "black hole" and people spending 9-15 years here is common. That combined with wanting a little more space is making me question our current situation. For the record I work as well so it's not just one income, I ain't no dependa.
>>
>>18607018

>people can easily spend ten to fifteen years there

yeah, but how many has he spent thus far?
>>
>>18607018

honestly just save a little more money than take a base house. you get a full house without having to worry about it later. they're not huge, but they're nice, and base life is pretty great everywhere ive been, much better than townie life.
>>
>>18607018
If it's getting small, then get rid of shit you don't need. My wife and I have been living in a 1 bed, 1 bath place, and rather than filling it with frivolous stuff, it's filled with high quality shit. I'd rather have, say, my coffee table, end table, and dressers made out of real wood than that poly-board shit. The stuff we buy is stuff that lasts, and once per year, we do things like buy 200 dollars of e-books for our nooks so that we can get those books off our bookshelf. We go through our safe and fire-proof storage box to see what we still need. We get rid of things we don't use anymore, and will never use again (like if I purchased a Wii U, I could give away my Wii).

Assess what you need, and what you don't even WANT anymore. You'll be surprised how much shit you can get rid of without it impacting you at all. I mean, if you can get rid of a full-length mirror that stands alone, and just put up one that attaches to a door, you can actually come out ahead by selling that stand-alone mirror for 200 online, and buying the cheap one for 10-15 bucks (and it'll last you just as long).
>>
>>18607032
There is a base house shortage right now. But I've been thinking of doing this.

>>18607036
We honestly don't have many extras. We have about 700 sq ft. Our hobbies take up some room so that's impeding us a little. We have no side tables. Our "entertainment center" is a desk hutch. We live pretty thrifty. The kitchen gets to me, we have maybe 6 sq ft of counter if we put a cutting board over the sink.
>>
>>18607080
My 1 bed/ 1 bath is 708 square feet if you include the attatched garage. I've got no problem living comfortably. As for your counter space thing, I don't buy it. 6 square feet is 2 feet by 3 feet. There's no way your kitchen has that little counter space. My dish washer, which is on wheels and attaches to my sink, is 4-5 square feet. A good sized cutting board (10.5" by 15") will be over 1 square foot. If you only have 6 square feet, then your counter has to be covered with other shit, at which point, put everything but what is used daily (like a coffee maker) in the cabinets.
>>
>>18607102
We only have daily use stuff on the counter. Even the toaster goes away.

But this isn't the exact point of the thread.
>>
>>18607130
I've already given my advice on whether you should buy property. Which was, "No."
>>18606988

I mean, you've got 2 bedrooms, and no children. I don't know how 2 people couldn't make that work.
>>
>>18607138
Thanks bro.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.