[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breaking society's expectations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1500435713808.jpg (171KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
1500435713808.jpg
171KB, 500x628px
How can I get better at not caring about people's negative reactions to breaking the usual expectations?

For instance, sometimes I just really don't want to tip. Tipping is such a silly and illogical thing, and yet I feel compelled to do it constantly. Even for things that should never require a tip. Like at a coffee shop, I order black coffee in a cup and they grab a cup and put coffee in it. McDonald's workers do the exact same thing, but the worker at the coffee house expects a tip for it. I just want to stop tipping everywhere unless someone really did something exceptional (i.e. outside of the standard scope of their job) for me.

I just want to be able to break these silly expectations without such a guilty feeling. How do I let go of the inner expectations I hold for myself that cause shame to break?
>>
>>18606422
Have an internal debate. Argue for and against tipping. Only then, will you have the ability to stand by your decision to not tip.

And don't be a little bitch either. Actually make find good arguments for both sides.
>>
>>18606422

simply do what you want to do. when someone says otherwise, complains, whines, argues, etc. simply excuse your self from the situation. most fights / arguments only take place because someone refuses to leave. leaving does not mean backing down. it means disregarding the others opinion and going off to live your own life.

>i just wnat to not tip without a guilty feeling

be up front about it. go up and say 'hi, i need a cup of black coffee, i do not tip though'.
>>
>>18606463
Good advice, but that last bit would sound pretty autistic.

The problem with being upfront is that it suddenly makes you the enemy. People working service jobs have been so brainwashed into tip culture that they blame me for not giving them a few dollars while their employers are ripping them off thousands. It's like I'm paying them welfare, and you know how welfare recipients react when the check is late.
>>
>>18606483

>thats autistic

well, so are you. you're acting like there's some magical pill that will remove the guilt. you say THEY are so brainwashed by tipping culture but you feel guilty for not tipping your barista for some reason.

so either A) you're autistic / brainwashed or B) you feel bad because you know you should be tipping.

its not autistic to state that you don't tip, especially at a restaurant. it is a norm, and if you are not going to give into the norm, people should know before they do their job
>>
>>18606527
Except that if you go to a restaurant and tell your server that you don't tip, again, you become the enemy because of their tribal minds. your food might get fucked with, spit in, delivered late as fuck with things missing or done wrong, because they frankly don't give a shit about your table anymore because you're paying them welfare. It's a situation where being honest provides no benefit to you, and why would you do something that only hurts you while providing no material benefit to anyone else? it's foolish.
>>
>>18606543

well yeah. again, no magic pill. you know that these people work this job because its built around a tipping system. you are saying 'fuck all of society' not because you are a man going your own way, but because you're cheap. its not about the principle. cuz if they raised the prices to compensate for tips you'd be out of there
>>
>>18606543

based on that logic you have no reason to feel guilty. yet you do. so go figure that out.
>>
>>18606556
what do you think the point of this thread is dude? wanted advice to get rid of the guilt. that's why I'm here.
>>
I decided I don't tip years ago. I just don't go anywhere it's required. I've become an amazing home cook because of it. Chicks dig it, and tipping is so disgustingly ingrained in our society that I decided it was a battle best not fought.

Do you want some uppity cunt to write "I hate niggers" on the bottom of the receipt after you leave with no tip, then destroy your life via social media?

Because that's the vicious world we live in today
>>
>>18606572

yes, but you're stuck on this logical loop

>i cant stop tipping cuz i feel guilty
>i cant admit i wont tip, because then they will be mean

break the cycle, pick a side, and stick with it.

NO MAGIC PILLS.
>>
>>18606555
you're making a lot of assumptions about me. this is not about being cheap. they should get paid more money and I should pay more for the food. no where did I argue against that in any way. I make plenty of money and can easily afford tips, but I shouldn't have to give these people tips, and that's my entire point. Add 20 cents to my coffee and take the tip jar off the counter. why do you just assume I'm cheap?
>>
>>18606575
your logic is really silly. you are saying that I can't possibly stop tipping until I start telling people up front that I don't tip? that's retarded. I can literally not say a word and then don't tip at the end. the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>18606573
too true
>>
>>18606579
Sounds like an alternative would be to get very good at calculating your exact share of how much you should be contributing if they raised prices. Then you can take it upon yourself to right the world by tipping that exact amount with a business card explaining the logic and maybe offering resources for unionizing
>>
>>18606590
> get very good at calculating your exact share of how much you should be contributing if they raised prices.
dude, there are so many factors in there that I'd have to basically know the business as well as the owner in order to even start taking a guess at that. if you think that's an easily calculated number, you have no business experience.

>with a business card explaining the logic and maybe offering resources for unionizing
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me, but that's pure autism dude
>>
>>18606422
>How can I get better at not caring about people's negative reactions to breaking the usual expectations?
Work with your feelings. Really think and question yourself about this and don't fear to wonder even questions that seem obvious or stupid at first.

Here is some questions. You don't have to tell me the answers if you don't want and finding the real answers might take some time.
>Why do you don't want to tip?Why do you feel you have to stop tipping? Why can't you do something silly so people won't think you're weird?

>Do you hate tipping because you lose money? Why is money so important to you? Or do you feel awkward tipping? Do you not always know how much to tip? Why do you hate so much to look stupid? Or do you hate that strangers can tell you to pay them for nothing? Do you think waitress does nothing? Does it feel weird because it's not on the bill and amount stated?

>What do you feel when you tip? Anger? Sadness? Embarrassed? How does your body react? Do your hands, neck and stomach tense up?
>>
>>18606422
You should write the most successful sitcom in television history and then parody yourself being an asshole in a docu-comedy about your life.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.