[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roommate going hungry - how to help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1479603819724.jpg (216KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1479603819724.jpg
216KB, 500x484px
How do I best help feed my roommate/tenant without offending him? Or should I just let him suffer?

>He got laid off in January
>Was already in debt
>Didn't use his unemployment intelligently
>Ordered in delivery pizza & chicken, bought some games & toys
>Know he's in such dire straits that he hasn't paid his car insurance and his bank account is in the negative
>Has a temp job but it's not paying much
>Noticed he's been taking my frozen dinners from the fridge
>I don't care much but they're only like 300 calories from a diet I was on and he's clearly not getting enough food

I want to help out and make sure he's not starving so he can go get a real job. But I don't want to give him $50 and have him end up buying 3 days of pizzas, then being hungry again. Is there a tactful way to say "yo dude, go buy some rice, beans, and chicken breasts, but nothing else?"
>>
You've posted this before, haven't you?
>>
Maybe just buy the shit an keep it in the house
>>
Tbh you need to tell him to fuck off and hunt for his own. Peep how he takes your food and doesn't ask when he could? Don't let him eat your food, and don't get comfy w him. You seem nice but ya shouldn't have even have this that much thought.
>>
>>18606203

I posted similar but had to bail on the thread actually, yeah. Sorry about that. Hopefully I'll get a couple of new perspectives.

>>18606204
I don't want to get to the point where I'm not only buying his food, but shopping for him. Not to mention that I don't think he'd ever take the initiative to actually open up a package of rice unless someone told him to do it.
>>
>>18606242
I mean, buy him rice and beans and lentils and shit like that and say "here dude, eat these if you get hungry." and if the nigga gets hungry enough, he'll get off his ass and cook them. if he can't be bothered to put in a little labor to prepare free food, then he's obviously not starving
>>
>>18606251
Well like I said, I don't want to do the shopping for the guy. (Or the research on what is healthy, what his tastes are, etc.)

I'm more than happy to throw him a little coin, but I can barely drag myself to the grocery store for toilet paper and frozen lasagna, so I don't plan on going and finding him a developed meal plan.

My money is less valuable than my time.
>>
>>18606261
You literally pick up a bag of dried black beans and dried white rice. Jesus fucking Christ. You and your roommate are both fucking hopeless.
>>
>>18606200

the most tactful way to do it is to buy it your self unfortunately. just get those key ingredients and say 'hey i know you're having a hard time with unemployment, so i went ahead and got you some of the essentials.
>>
Why be tactfull when you can just be straight up and tell him he can get good cheap food if he buys a bag of rice, beans and cheap veggies if you can be bothered with researching how to make stuff.

Being tactfull is for pussies imo
>>
>>18606261
Since you're such a lazy fuck, just order soylent online. $2.67 a bottle, 400 calories, 20% complete daily nutrition for a human. Order like 60 bottles and say he can have 2-3 a day. You can also drink it because it's super easy and lets you not even think about food.
>>
>>18606291
Not op but is soylent good for gaining weight?
>>
>>18606321
Yeah it's not people or anything like that
>>
>>18606321
For gaining weight? If you drink enough calories, of course it is. 400 calories per bottle. 5 bottles a day is 2000 calories. If you drink 6 you're at 2400 calories. You'll definitely gain weight at 2000 or 2400 calories.
>>
>>18606200
Good on you for bringing this up. You should definitely help the dude if you can. Sit him down and have an adult conversation. Say it seems like he's in a tough spot, you think he should focus his diet on X,Y,Z, make any offer to help that you are willing to. Also say you think he'd do the same if the situation were reversed. That will help him understand where you are coming from.
>>
File: AlligatorInvasion8-1-06013.jpg (73KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
AlligatorInvasion8-1-06013.jpg
73KB, 1024x768px
Go up to him, say that you're welling to help him. Emphasize that its natural to be in this situation and that you don't mind helping him out. Tell him that its not a big burden on you. And perhaps treat this less like an offer and more like a declaration. If he says no its out of shame and embarrassment, not out of lack of necessity. If he gets mad/offended, it's because of he's embarrassed. Perhaps mention this and try to come to terms with him if he does. He may be offended now but he won't decline any food you do make him. He will be grateful in the long run.

You're a good person, Anon, for wanting to help him out like this.
>>
>>18606272

I don't want him to rely on me to do everything for him - doesn't that make sense? I cook occasionally, but mostly eat out. If I couldn't afford it, I'd eat like I did when I was going hungry myself.

>>18606286
I've gotta live with the dude and deal with his shit. There's nothing worse than living with a roommate that dislikes you. Makes coming home worse than any job.

>>18606291
I'd rather eat real food.

>>18606356
Thanks, maybe a reasonable approach. I feel like I've been treating him like a kid too much lately though, so I dunno. I'll think it through.
>>
>>18606323
>>18606342
I dont plan to drink that many in a day. More of an addition to my current 2-3x meals. Maybe drink like two a day, morning and night.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.