[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1298.jpg (357KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1298.jpg
357KB, 1920x1080px
Is 44% of my income too much to spend on rent if I have no car payment? I'm really tired of living with my parents but rent prices are super high...
>>
Where the fuck do you live , and why are you trying to rent in a city are you retarded or something ?
>>
>>18606121
Phoenix Arizona
I'm trying to rent in a city because that's where I work. I don't want to buy a house right now because the market is stupidly high and will undoubtedly crash
>>
>>18606125
Maybe just drive an extra 15 minutes for work , and save tons of money
>>
>>18606135
I wish it were that easy. All decent parts of town, including the suburbs around Phoenix, fall into this price range. And those aren't extra 15 minute drives, they are extra 45 minute drives to get into the city during rush hour

"Affordable" areas are the ghettos which I'm not willing to live in
>>
>>18606135
>he thinks this is how cities work these days
to get a significant drop off, you need to move 30-45+ mins out (time including traffic), depending on the city.
>>
>>18606169
I live 20 outside of Atlanta and I pay around 650$ for a 3 year lease
>>
>>18606112
>I'm really tired of living with my parents but rent prices are super high

If they don't mind it and you get along with them don't worry.
>>
>>18606182
I live in Atlanta, too, and you must be living in fucking Bankhead or the real ghetto bro. Also, 20 mins from what exactly? 20 mins from the perimeter? You can't live outside of Atlanta (OTP) and only be 20 mins from downtown/midtown, that's physically impossible.
>>
>>18606168
>"Affordable" areas are the ghettos which I'm not willing to live in

Well then you've made your decision and it doesn't matter whether 44% is too much because you're not willing to explore the alternative options.

Me? I'd slum it and stack money, but that's me. I like saving my money and I'm not afraid of the "ghetto."
>>
>>18606183
Yeah they don't mind. I guess I get along with them. My issue is honestly just that it has ruined my dating life. I'm 27, it's a huge turn off to girls my age to be living with my parents.

I've moved out before for the record. Had to move back in with them aboht a year ago because my old roommate got engaged with his girlfriend
>>
>>18606192
Perimeter Lul , as said my rent is 650$ with a 3 year lease normal is 860$ with a 1 year
>>
>>18606125
>the market is stupidly high and will undoubtedly crash
What does that matter if you aren't planning to sell? The next drop in the housing market might not be for a decade or more.
>>
>>18606195
I have a friend who went living in the ghetto route and he's been robbed and had his car broken into 5 times in the past year. I'll pass, thanks

>>18606212
Highly unlikely it's going to take that to crash. But if it does I'll be making a lot more money since I'll be 10 years farther into my career
>>
>>18606220
Buy a gun, don't leave anything in your car.
>>
>>18606210
yeah, so if you worked ITP, it would take you 45+ mins to get to work, right?

I bought a house in Cumming last year, and even that was expensive as hell. I work in Sandy Springs, takes me 45 mins with traffic, 30 without, but I work from home three days a week so meh.
>>
>>18606227
>getting my window busted out 5 times and having to replace it in Arizona where it's 110 degrees
>just don't have a stereo because that can be stolen every time
>>
>>18606220
>car broken into 5 times in 1 year

Yeah that I just don't believe. What the fuck is your friend leaving on the passenger seat of his 1997 RAV4 that would entice a thief or thieves to break in more than once?

You can pass. That's your prerogative. But just understand that you'll be paying more for housing. There you have it.
>>
>>18606243
Ok, thanks for the info. I didn't realize it was cheaper to live in the ghetto.
>>
>>18606235
Give or take I work security for a company so my hours are from 10 pm to 6 am so it's not really a problem
>>
>>18606125

Dude. Phoenix has one of the better priced markets you'll find. Where the fuck are you living that you need to spend 44% of your income, especially if it's not a house? What're you doing for work?

Plus, the Phoenix area is HUGE. What area are you in? From what you're posting, it looks like you want to stay in some hip Scottsdale/Tempe area that is designed more for the perks and style than the actual space.

Suck it up and get a roommate or something. I lived in Tempe for four years, and spend a significant chunk of my time there still, and you shouldn't be struggling to move out unless you still work part time or at a Starbucks.
>>
>>18606246
Hey you're the genius asking whether 44% is too much to pay in rent. Of course it's too much to pay in rent. You really needed someone to tell you that? Grow a thicker skin, humble yourself, and go live someplace you can afford, *really* afford, the "ghetto" or wherever. Or spend nearly half of your fucking income on rent because you're afraid someone might steal the 32" flat screen your parents bought for you 3 Christmases ago.
>>
>>18606254
Better priced markets compared to what? There's like a 6 week housing inventory that fucking terrible. Nope, just trying to live in central Phoenix. I would definitely be down for a roommate but if you read above I'm 27. Majority of my friends are living with their girlfriends or some shit I'm not 21 anymore.

>>18606255
Lmao. Thick skin has nothing to do with the highest crime rates in the city you dumbass. Maybe you live in Montana or something and your version of a ghetto is rural farmland but it's a lot different in the 5th largest city in America.
>>
>>18606267
No I'm from gun-wavin' New Haven. It's far from farmland. But, as with all cities, I keep my wits about me. I don't leave shit in my car. (You don't even have a car so I'm not sure why that's a concern for you.) I don't flash around expensive watches or jewellery. I don't keep more than $30 or $40 in my wallet. I don't act confused or nervous. It's common sense. Number of times I've been robbed? 0. Number of times I've had my car broken into? 0. Phoenix may be a big city, but crime statistics per capita, and it doesn't even make it into the top 30. So relax kiddo. The world's not that scary. I promise.
>>
>>18606112

when people say it should only be this much or that much of your income, its based in an ideal world. we dont live in an ideal world. most people i know in the city are living paycheck to paycheck. rent used to be more than 50% of my income, but like oyu i had no car, and i still had a little spending money for going out at the end of the month, so there was no issue.

as long as you can make ends meet, go for it.
>>
>>18606313
>>18606313
>no car payment means I don't have a car

My car is paid off retard. I don't know why I'm responding to you. You're on the other side of the country so you have no idea what shitty areas of Phoenix are like. Of course the per capita numbers are low because Phoenix is HUGE. Over 500 million square miles and again the 5th largest population.

>>18606316
Thanks man, that's what I figured
>>
>>18606355
So you have a car then. Which means that, although you have no car payment, you'll still be paying for gas, maintenance, insurance...

And you're still considering spending 44% of your income on rent? Jesus! Son, I think you might be more than just a little retarded.
>>
>>18606355
>Of course the per capita numbers are low because Phoenix is HUGE.

And yeah, that's the whole point of "per capita," to compare larger cities to smaller cities fairly. If there were 2 groups of people in front of you, a group of 1,000 people and a group of 100 people, and the group of 1,000 people experienced 100 instances of crime whereas the group of 100 people experienced 10 instances of crime, which group has the higher rate of crime?

A report came out a couple of years ago wherein New Haven and 3 other CT cities were listed as the most violent cities in the U.S. with some of the highest crime rates in the country. So I can give a shit about Phoenix.
>>
>>18606396
Right and my point was all of the crime in Phoenix is centralized to a few areas like maryvale, which is the size of new haven, but gets included in the rest of Phoenix which is relatively nice. Also I don't know if the numbers you pulled included Phoenix suburbs like Gilbert which I believe was ranked as the second safest place to live in America. Basically Phoenix isn't a city like new haven is, it's a collection of cities.

Let me be super ignorant to your city and say "isn't that where Yale is, how bad can it be. Suck it up pussy"
>>
>>18606267

Better priced markets compared to any other large city? Than anywhere on the East Coast? Than most of the West Coast?

You index pretty flatly with the cost of living across the country.

http://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/arizona/phoenix

There's a ton of fucking people who would love their median cost of rent for a studio to be $623. There's a ton of places in the country where that price is doubled - and that's if you're living ALONE. Taxation is reasonably fair in Arizona too, so you're not paying out the ass on that.

For a 2-bedroom in the wider metro area, you're looking at an average of $914... that's $457 a roommate. If you're 27 and that's not doable, it's time to focus on finding a real job, not just separating from mom and dad.
>>
>>18606423
>that's $457 a roommate
>roommate
>living like a poor
>>
>>18606417
>Let me be super ignorant to your city and say "isn't that where Yale is, how bad can it be. Suck it up pussy"

Again, as with all cities, and Phoenix isn't unique in this respect, crime is oftentimes concentrated in a few smaller areas or neighborhoods with safer, "nicer" areas scattered about.

Me? I have sucked it up. I don't live in a Yale dorm room. I'll tell you that much.
>>
>>18606423
Are you the dude I originally replied to or someone else?

I make 2500 a month. Majority of 1b/1ba apartments in central Phoenix are going for 1000-1200 a month. I already said living with a roommate is doable in the post you replied to, read it again.
>>
>>18606426

I make over six figures and I have two roommates because what the fuck else am I supposed to do with my spare bedrooms? I get two dudes to pay me an extra $10,000 a year that I can use on vacations, a nicer car, what the fuck ever. Plus people to watch my place while I'm gone.

>>18606442
My bad, I meant to reply to the roommate thing. Really though, my buddy out in Scottsdale that's 30 still has a roommate, even though he makes a good chunk of money. There's people out there, and you could find some ASU grad student or someone that's probably pretty chill to live with. (Or given that you're making about $30k, just live with some college kids looking to fill a room at this point, fuck.)

You definitely need to work on making more money. By the time I was 22 I was making $32k managing retail. Nothing to brag about, but still more than you're making 5 years later, and it was enough for me to not live with my parents.
>>
>>18606465
Your math is way off, I make 60k a year. My monthly income is after taxes and money into my retirement. I could look into a roommate but I'm sceptical about random people off Craigslist. Is that what you do?
>>
>>18606469

You were giving incomplete details then. Your "income" isn't post taxes and savings, it's pre-taxes, and pre-savings. Especially given that your savings are optional. I'm not going to redo the math, but making $60k per year, you should be very capable of living away from your parents. I think you have an unrealistic perspective on how much each person saves.

I've been lucky enough that my roommates have come from pre-existing relationships, or through friends of friends, but Craigslist is perfectly acceptable. Again, an ASU grad student or law student could be a solid roommate for a good chunk of the year, assuming you're not crazy.
>>
>>18606465
>what the fuck else am I supposed to do with my spare bedrooms
I suppose one thing you could do with the extra rooms is to stop living like a child and start a family.

Also making six figures in San Fran is just enough to cover your rent with your 3 roomies.

For me, not having random people in my house all the time is worth way more money than however much they'd give me (speaking theoretically, as I have a family). Not having to deal with other people making messes and leaving trash around and playing loud music or TV at night or generally doing anything that would cause me the slightest amount of inconvenience. Not worth it.
>>
>>18606496
He said that he makes over 6 figures, so that's 7 figures. He's a fucking millionaire and we're lucky to have him here.
>>
>>18606490
Well, not really. I have a pension so I have to contribute to it. That plus taxes, health care, etc. gives you the 2500 number. So really, I didn't give you incomplete details. Saying I make 60k and giving no further details would have been more incomplete.

I'll look into the grad student thing.
>>
>>18606502
topkek
>>
>>18606496
I don't want a family. Not being a child doesn't mean having fucking kids for no reason and pouring all of your income into some woman and a bunch of little leeches for no goddamned reason but to feel like an "adult." Having kids isn't a bad thing, but forcing it like it's the next step on a checklist is stupid.

Both of my roommates are quiet adults with jobs, who come home and respectfully clean up after themselves with few exceptions. It's well worth a ton of saved money.

I also live in Las Vegas, where my money isn't sunk into taxes all the time.

>>18606502
Don't be autistic. I make over $100k.

>>18606505
Most people rarely adjust for taxes, health care, and pension before saying how much they make a year. You said $2500 a month, which is $30,000. It's easy to assume you're just a part time worker. If you rented a place, would you tell a girl you only made $1200 a month?
>>
>>18606523
So you make over $100,000, then. You don't make over 6 figures. Don't be bad at English, or math.
>>
>>18606523
>I don't want a family. Not being a child doesn't mean having fucking kids for no reason
>no reason
>literally the entire purpose of life
guess you've got it figured out over there, friend, carry on. soon your genes will be no more. hope that money makes you happy.
>>
>>18606523
Right. But what's the point of telling you I make 60k when that really means fuck all? I told you the literal amount of money I have to work with each month, which to me seems more important. The other half is floating in the ether in the hands of the Jews.
>>
>>18606533
>hope that money makes you happy.

How could it not make him happy? Dude makes over 6 figures but apparently under 7 figures. He's being discreet and bad at math. That's how you *know* he's for real a wealthy dude.
>>
>>18606542
You only need 75k to be happy

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/05/news/economy/how-much-income-to-be-happy/index.html
>>
>>18606545
$75k huh? I'd say even that's too much. I make $40k and I'm happy as all fuck. Shiiiiiiiet
>>
>>18606533
Cool, my genes don't matter to me. I'm going to be dead in the fucking dirt. I could have 19 kids and they could all die in a tragic plane accident. I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Kids are mostly shitty, and I don't want to churn any out just so they can come to the office 40 hours a week like I do, and be inevitably forgotten. Please correct me if you know jack shit about your great-great grandparents besides that they shit out kids and passed down a recipe for a casserole.

>>18606536
It's the entire point of your thread. You said 44% of your income. If you only make $30,000, but you're spending that much, it means you're spending $1100 of your monthly income on rent, and we have to assume you have a car payment, food, phone, TV, insurance (both health and car) and emergency expenses to account for. In reality, you're spending 22% of your income for an $1100/month place, which is perfectly reasonable, if not a bit excessive.
>>
>>18606562
Hmm every financial advice I've ever read has been spending post tax income. Which makes sense, because that's money I actually have. You think spending 1100 on rent is fine when I bring in 2500 a month?
>>
>>18606576

Well, I didn't recommend living alone necessarily, but yes, making $60k a year in Phoenix, you should be capable of living out of your parents' home. You should be capable of that in most cities that aren't SF/LA/NY, etc. How much money do you think most people make?

You're making more than the median US income, which is $51,000 (that's NOT post-taxes/pension/insurance). Even better compared to Phoenix, where it's $48,000. Do you think most of those people still live at home?

The mortgage on my three bedroom home is under $1000 a month. It's why I own instead of rent. I bought it at the very worst of the recession, but you shouldn't need to spend $1100 in rent per month. It should be drastically cheaper.
>>
Recent college graduate living in Chicago here.

Been thinking about moving to Phoenix because they have a lot of entry-level jobs. I want to get something in the tech field.

Is it a good or bad idea to move to Phoenix?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.