[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Filmmaker career advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: sad coffee.jpg (37KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
sad coffee.jpg
37KB, 500x338px
I want to make films/write/run tv shows for a living. I watch maybe 5-6 a week and generally read maybe one chapter of a film textbook a day + take photos in my spare time. Probably less than others do, and I know how hard it is to achieve, but is it possible?

I'm not looking for validation but I'm want to know if it's a complete waste of time or not. I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. Only been at it for a year though. I'm 19 btw. Expecting it to take me 6 or 7 years to get a decent film made. Any advice? Thoughts?

I've had a few people tell me It's not for me. One person who worked in locations, and my best friends dad suggested maybe I should be a writer/editor, as he worked in the biz and thinks I'm too passive/timid to be a director. Guys probably the smartest person I've ever met, and he's usually right about things, even if he's an ass. I know I should be confident in my decisions, but if film doesn't pan out I've seriously been thinking of just offing myself (another problem in itself, Too much self loathing). Should I spend some more time working on myself first?

Sorry for the rambling post anons, I needed to vent.
>>
I made films for 6 years before I got sick of being a starving. Be prepared to kill yourself for no money and if your luck you might even complete a project or two. Even if you do, no money. Film is dying, try doing web series or some shit. You will only get kind of good after 10 years but you will kill yourself by then anyway.
>>
>>18606027

first and foremost, produce your own mini series. its actually easier to do this outside of the city than inside of los angeles. buy a DSLR, spend a few weeks making short films and learning what you need to do, then make your web series. if you still want to make TV after that, go ahead and move to LA.

you do it by schmoozing at parties, trying to be an intern in a writers room, and slowly getting promoted over the years. while doing that develop your own pilots and pitches, as if you get the right idea to the right person you can skip the line.

im about to go shoot a horror film, been in LA for 7 years and still wroking on the independent side.
>>
>>18606027

As somebody in the indie sector who just wanted to be a camera op, but some how ended up being a DP and director most of the time, I think all it comes down to is how hard you're willing to work.

If you're asking if its a waste of time or not, then maybe that is your answer. As someone who wanted to be a lawyer, and accidentally fell into this, I realize now I would die for this. Even if I was working at McDonalds, I would still be creating films.

Everyone comments on my energy and drive. My constant need to be experimenting and creating something. And yes, I'm suicidal af too.

So, idk. Either its in you or it isn't.
>>
>>18606377
not op how do you know if it's in you or no
>>
you do know that there are +100 jobs in the film Industry? u don't have to aim at director...
i personally like DP and set design
>>
>>18606444

like this guy said:
>>18606351

do it on your own. if oyu havent started producing quality shorts, no ones going to take a risk on you with a TV series or a movie. look at most of the modern greats and you'll find they all broke into the industry by creating a really good indie film, which got picked up a studio for distribution and then after it did well they approached said director for studio films.

if you want to see if you got it in you, make a movie or web series. if you can't even do that on your own, then you're just going to fantasize about how great a movie would be if you had unlimited resources for the rest of your life.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.