[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wrong for my dad to charge me rent?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 1

File: 1500968744457.jpg (41KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1500968744457.jpg
41KB, 540x489px
>At 19 my dad started charging me rent
>Now 20, I want to move out, but realize iv'e been hindered in saving as iv'e paid him thousands of dollars in rent that could've been used for moving out and savings
>Basically stuck here now, rent is slightly cheaper than roommates, about $150 less, but i'm just renting a small room and share a bathroom with my sister and her kid
>Look up is it wrong to charge your kids rent
>Find multiple of the same answers, where the parents actually charge rent, but put it in a savings account for their kids for when they move out
>Know there is a 0% chance my dad is doing this
Is my dad in the wrong here? I'm starting to seriously resent him. The worst part is he wants me to stay here and keeps saying "you have a good foundation here, a good thing here." he acts like hes giving me a place to live but he's really not when he's charging me rent.
>>
>>18605742

Your das is completely within his right to charge you rent, and do whatever he chooses with the money. Further It can teach work ethic.

That said, if I were your dad, I wouldn't do it. But that's just me. I dont believe immediate family should charge each other rent - ever. Unless the renter offers.

>"you have a good foundation here, a good thing here"

What's your meals and utilities (power, gas, internet) situation? Is your family providing fir these or are you doing that yourself?

If the former, then your dad is correct. Yes you're paying rent, but still saving a shitton more than if you were 100% on your own.

If the latter, then no. You are much better off flatting. Flatting also gives you much more psychological independence, which is valuable. Just how valuable monetarily is up to you.

Me, my parents provided everything, but i still decided to move out and pay thousands upon thousands in expenses -- And i don't regret it at all. My rents while providing, were a little overbearing, and the independence i gained helped me psychologically and socially tremendously. And it felt fucking good.
>>
>>18605782
>What's your meals and utilities (power, gas, internet) situation? Is your family providing fir these or are you doing that yourself
I pay a flat rent fee that includes all the utilities. I buy my own food, maybe once every other weekend we'll all eat takeout together.
>>
>>18605782
This. It's his house and you're an adult. If you don't like it, move out.
>>
>>18605796
>I pay a flat rent fee that includes all the utilities
how much do you a pay a month?
I highly doubt you're paying for heating/internet/power etc

My family charged me rent until I moved out because they lost the benefits from the government when I turned 18, didn't move out until 21 so probably paid close to 5k in rent
>>
>>18605798
Nigger did you read what I said? I want to move out but it's hard when you're shilling out to your dad every month. Already paid him over 4k in rent this year alone
>>
>>18605807
$520, that includes my part of the phone line so $500
>>
>>18605809
Did you read what I said? It's his house and you're an adult. He's well within his rights to charge you rent once you're 18, and it's not uncommon for parents to do so.
>>
>>18605815
thats a lot
idk what the price of an apartment is in your area but if its anything close to that before utilities its maybe time to sit down and talk about it
>>
i'm assuming your trolling , 520 is a good rate considering normally rent for most areas is 600 maybe less if signed into a lease though just for the apt , not counting internet , renters insurance + an emergency fund
>>
>>18605837
a good rate?? do you think I want to live with my old man and my whore sister and her spawn forever? hes fucking trapping me here
>>
>>18605742

what? dude, no, its fine, its not daddies job to take care of you AND plan your savings dude.

parents encourage rent because 1) they are tired of losing all their money housing you and 2) it encourages you to be a functional fucking adult.

the fact that hes asking you to stay shows he needs the money. on top of that, hes had you for 20 years, a lot of parents act happy about kids moving out, but they feel sad cuz the kid they had for 20 years is gone then.

leave if you want to
>BUT I CANT SAVE

thats a scary thing to say because if you cant save at LESS than what you'd be paying out there, then you arent going to have enough money to survive out there. one wrong move and your fucked.

that being said, if you're desperate to get away, just take out a line of credit and use that to put money down on the apt.
>>
>>18605845
either move out or quit bitching , i'm also guessing he pays for your health insurance and car insurance ?
>>
So in an ideal world your father would pay for you indefinitely
>>
>>18605855
I get my health insurance through my employer and I pay for my own car insurance lol
>>
>>18605860
No I want to move out I literally could've moved out if I just had like a 4-6 month grace period to save up. As soon as I started making decent money I got charged. I don't have any credit so I might need a big deposit on a place
>>
>>18605868
Then just move out problem solved , just don't expect him to let you live their when the best apt you can get is 600$ + renters insurance + emergency money
>>
Yes he's legally in the right. But he's being your average grouchy baby boomer that was able to get a job with a pension at 19, bought a house and car before 25 and expects you to do the same.
>>
>>18605742
>>18605809
>>18605874

Are you intending to buy a place for yourself?

Like, what exactly are you saving up for? Where I live, rent bonds are about 3x a weekly amount. So average $600. Then have a couple hundred just for, say, any furniture or whatever you need to buy. Lets highball it and say $400. That's $1000. Surely you can save 1k in a month or three?

But apart from that, for me, i would justask my dad. Like, I'd go to him and say, "Hey dad, i really want to move out. But I need to save up for a bond and stuff, so can I stop paying rent for a while?"
If my dads not in financial difficulty, he'd say "Sure thing boyo. I'd prefer you stayed here, but It's good you're setting out on your own. If you need any help with anything else, let me know. And remember you've always got a place here if you need it." At which point id sincerely thank him and then go on with business.
>>
>>18605913
This is rooming with other people, btw. Not renting on your own. In that case it would cost 3x as much.
>>
>>18605809
nigger do you have common sense? you just don't pay him rent next month and use it for a new place. or talk to your dad about him helping you pay for the first month somewhere like a fucking human instead of asking 4chan for advice.
>>
>>18605855
>>18605846
>>18605837

Why do so many Americans have the mentality of kicking their kids to the curb or charging them rent once they hit 18? Its also sad to see how many of you accept this as the norm

If you have no desire to help your kid after they hit 18 you are a shitty parent and are probably doing so because you had them as a mistake
>>
>>18605809
Should have been saving up before that. It's also hard to save up renting from a landlord. Get a better job like the rest of us. Parents or no parents your situation would be the same.

If you can't get a plave for the exact same price then you must be paying a great price for the place with your parents. Rent a place with roommates, should be the same charge for a single room. If not then you're complaining about a really cheap living situation
>>
>>18605995
> my country only exists because America lets it
K den
>>
Kek Americans are sick. Once my kids old enough to work (And wants to wprk) the most they'll be doing is paying half her cell phone bill and paying for some of their clothes. I would never charge my kids rent unless it was going in a savings account for them. I'm not even well off.

It's supposed to be your kids before all else.
>>
>>18606034

What are you even saying? I am american
>>
>>18606048
Yeah but your country sucks so it kind of balances out by having speech and such
>>
>>18606034
Пpивeт
>>
>>18606012
>Should have been saving up before that.
when I was in high school?
>>18606012
>Get a better job like the rest of us
I'm 20. Iv'e been out of high school for less than 2 years. I'm lucky to even have a fucking job. But yeah, i'll just get a better job. thanks nigger
>>
>>18606054
Nah Canada is the real land of the free. As long as you stay out of big cities and away from large communities of refugees/etc.

Most people you find here are kind and friendly. And many more treat their kids properly than in America.
>>
>>18606063
Nigger it called hard work put forth some
> itt: worked at micsuckdick for 7.50$ for 6 months till I finally got a 1$ raise them worked for another 6 months for another 1$ raise while working my ass of keeping floors clean and a bunch of extra bs I wasn't even paid for , then I went and put applications in places with help wanted signs and generally all over even if they basically told me they weren't hiring take it bitch , and eventually I get a couple interviews and and a couple job offers I now fuck off with tech support for 20$ per hour
It's not hard you just have to try faggot
>>
>>18606077
>McDonald's
>giving raises higher than. 0.11 every 6 months
>my sides
>>
>>18606074
> dude looks like a dude
> call him a dude
Gets put in prison for misgendering
Ahh Tis life in leaf state
>>
>>18606079
> puts more effort than paid for
Gets bigger raise
What is hard work anyway ?!?!???!
>>
>>18606080
America:
>get pulled over for speeding
>shot by the police

Canada
>get pulled over for speeding
>RCMP bros let you off with a warning and bantz
>RCMP wave and smile when they see you
>>
>>18606085
Nah not how it works in most McDonald's. They give you the smallest raise as legally possible. No fast food shit houses have ever given me or anyone i knew raises like that. I didn't start getting real raised until working in the financial industry (real jerbs)
>>
>>18605742
you're retarded and your dad is right. whatever he is asking you to pay is nothing compared to the cost of moving out on your own. And you have the security and stability of living in a secure place with people who love you. Of course you're to young and stupid to understand that right now so I will give you some actually useful advice:

talk to your dad about the fact that you want to have girls over and how you want privacy, he was a stupid kid your age before so he will understand.
>>
>>18606053
I'm saying your dad is a shit head, most likely because he's American. I hope ypu can figure it out anon. Living in America is difficult. Good luck
>>
>>18605742
>Is my dad in the wrong here? I'm starting to seriously resent him.

No. You're being entitled. He don't really owe you shit past 18. Anything he gives you from that point on is a bonus.

>The worst part is he wants me to stay here and keeps saying "you have a good foundation here, a good thing here." he acts like hes giving me a place to live but he's really not when he's charging me rent.

I can't tell if you're indignation is skewing your interpretation of it or if your judgement is right, so I can't say shit on this.

Really, the only reason you're mad is because you read some shit on the internet that you're using to compare your situation to.
>>
>>18606090
Canada
> get diagnosed with cancer
Die since you can't get treatment for 6 months
America
Get treated with a week

10/10
>>
>>18605837
>rent for most areas is 600 maybe less
lmfao sure if you live in shitsville nowheretown. try $1200/month not including any utilities for a studio in any city where there are actual good paying jobs and actual economic activity.
>>
>>18606093
Considering someone flipping burger or working the cash register won't generally get raises you probably didn't do shit
>>
>>18605809

I guess you have a shit job because you're a fucking dumbass.

If you can afford to pay your dad $500 rent and buy food, you can afford to FUCKING MOVE SOMEPLACE THAT RENTS FOR $500.

How the fuck were you planning on survive on your own as a renter if $500 is bankrupting you right the fuck now? What's the difference between paying $500 rent to your dad and $500 rent to some random faggot?

Jesus fucking dick, go do some overtime or take a side-job if you really need to build some savings before moving out.

My parents charged me rent, but it was 25% about me helping out with the utilities and such and 75% convincing me that I should move out and become independent. My parents figured that I would be more motivated to move out if I had to pay to stay at home and they were right.
>>
>>18606105
> has job in the city
Legally required to live in the city
Woo lad I never knew take me to jail now
>>
>>18606113
god I hate uneducated rural republicans.
>>
Go to school in January, take out a loan. Keep working while in school.

Use loan to pay rent while you save most of what you make from work. Pay for food and other expenses via work. Sell your car, live near campus. Take transit to work. Try to get a promotion and raise via seniority, or start applying to higher paying jobs after about 2 years experience at a minimum wage one. Use your current work experience to find higher paying jobs that have a overlap in skills compared to your current one. When you graduate, use most of your savings to pay into your loan.

Go to school for something useful, that you enjoy. You don't need to be crazy passionate about it, but interested enough to stay engaged in it for a long time.

Pick three fields you like, research them heavily (ie. google, google, google). Try to determine what they will be like by the time you graduate. Look at job boards for jobs related to those fields, look at their qualifications and see if you can meet them. Pay attention to how much work is available, the rate of pay, and the location.

Pick the one that seems to have the best prospects and employment opportunities, the one that best suits your work style and personality. Pick a program that you can realistically do, but is still enough of a challenge to keep you engaged. If you find that the field you chose requires no schooling, then put together a concrete plan for how you can realistically obtain the skills you need for jobs related to it.

If you really can't stomach the idea of going to school, cut down on your current expenses as much as you can, and potentially find a higher paying job. Do what you can to save for first and last months rent, then when you reach that point move out.
>>
>>18606120
When proven wrong liberals will revert to
> name calling
> shilling
> general anger
> salty attitudes
We hope you had a nice flight now get off the plane or we'll call security
>>
>>18606127
>implying conservacucks will listen to evidence

too funny
>>
>>18606127
>>18606143
>not being a hard centrist
>mfw
>>
>>18605815
>>18605824

Where the FUCK do you guys live that $520 is "a lot" for rent? You can't walk into a one bedroom studio apartment here without paying $850 / month. With utilities, $1,000 / month is probably the best you can hope for around here.

Jesus fucking Christ, OP. If I were you, I'd go give my dad a hummer in sincere appreciation for charging me so little in rent.
>>
>>18606143
name calling doesn't make your point right it was proven wrong now quit being salty and get a life and while your at it maybe even a job
>>
>>18606173
>implying I don't have wife, kids, salary engineer, college education.

conservacucks... go hump a gun while you pray jesus forgives you for being retarded
>>
>>18606205
> i'm the king of Mars
More salt please it makes my penis harder and of course you will because you want my dick so bad
>>
>>18606063
in america you can work once you hit 15 years old.
>>
>>18606153
Eh I don't care if you get an abortion or not just don't make me pay , weed shouldn't be illegal only illegal in the workplace , etc
>>
If he isn't doing any formal lease or something, then it looks like there will be some leeway given to you. Your Dad isn't throwing you out to the wolves.
>>
>>18605742
Dad's not in the wrong. If you don't like it, move out.
>>
>>18605742
I'm a parent. What I do with my kids theoretical rent money (none of them are old enough to work) would entirely depend on what I wanted them to do with their life. Allow me to explain I have a 15 year old that I am going to charge rent and there is zero chance I will give her that money to help her move out. I want her to go into the military for 4 years because she's a mess and needs strict routine. I have anther daughter who is 10 so she is a little young to know exactly what she will do. But she is not a mess and is capable of self managing....I would probably gift her her rent money in one way or anther when she moves out. She is materialistic and has problems budgeting. So i would imagine I may buy her kitchen stuff (pots and pans etc) with her rent money perhaps a couch or whatever if money permits.

Anyways there's two examples of what I may do when that time comes. Your dad may just be trying to keep you in the house because he needs the rent money? If you don't suspect that is a major motivator perhaps he is afraid he will miss you? Or perhaps he doesn't believe you're ready to move out on your own yet. And frankly if you can't afford that low rent you're probably not.
>>
>>18605815
Consider yourself lucky senpai. Renting even a shitty place here is close to $300 a fucking week.
>>
>>18606104
>still die, because you believe in alternative treatment
>family has to get rid of hundreds of your black turtlenecks
>>
>>18605742
Nigga as soon as you start making money, you pay your way. This man raised you, fed you, paid for everything your whole life. You owe him that.

Also, it teaches you what it's like for later to be assfucked by a mortgage, bills etc.
>>
Your dad's a capitalist piece of shit fuck him
>>
Western societies are so strange. I don't know anyone who'd charge rent from their own children. Immediate family sticks together (unless someone ditches or betrays the family ofc). If you don't want to support your kids until they're on their own two feet, don't have them?

t. person from former communist state
>>
>make your kid pay to live with you, which means you're taking money they could use to move out in the first place
>if they can't pay you anymore, throw them out
>let them be homeless or vulnerable to getting mugged/kidnapped/raped in 2017's fucked up social/cultural climate because "lol responsibilities xd"
>if the kid points out that this is wrong, they are "entitled"
Why do Americans have so little empathy for their own children? Why is it socially acceptable to take money from your kids? It's greedy as fuck, and the very definition of entitlement.
If you don't want them to live with you, it's rather in your best interest to make sure they get a job, pay attention to their income, and make them save up so they can move out ASAP. By making them pay money to live with you, you're just hampering the chances of them ever leaving. "Work ethic" my ass, you just want them to pay you out of their pocket forever. It's disgustingly greedy.
>>
>>18606920
>here is zero chance I will give her that money to help her move out. I want her to go into the military for 4 years because she's a mess and needs strict routine.
This is called being unnecessarily controlling and extorting from your child so you can force your own vision on them.
>I have anther daughter who is 10 so she is a little young to know exactly what she will do. But she is not a mess and is capable of self managing....I would probably gift her her rent money in one way or anther when she moves out.
"Gift her" her own money? What the fuck?
>She is materialistic and has problems budgeting.
She's...10.
Capitalism has gone too far m8s
>>
>>18606166
>>18606939

>itt: people not understanding that the price of rent is proportional to the average income in your area
>>
>>18606939

So 1,200 a month? That is luxury 1bds around here
>>
>>18607579
No shit. But $520 x 12 is $6,240. Do you know of anywhere in this country where the average income isn't AT LEAST twice that? Lol gtfo
>>
>have kid
>later charge kid rent for existing
fuck you dad
>>
>>18605742
There are plenty of ways to justify him doing it (you can justify just about anything), but viewing it as a reasonable person and not a social darwinist or some shit he's being a total asshole.

It's not helping you, he's not even trying to help you.

Don't sit around contemplating the ethical implications here, find a way to fix your problems and get what you want.
>>
>>18606920
You're a shitty parent
>>
>>18607534
This. In a civilized society, we always support each other to some level. We spend years being forced to go to school on the government's dime and get there on public roads while living under the roof of a parent who feeds us for free. If we go to college, it's usually at a reduced price due to government intervention. Our parents will receive money from the government when they retire if they aren't already getting welfare.

It is retarded to live in a system like this and so "fuck you, you've reached an arbitrary age so now im going to start enforcing a stupid, unrealistic moral from a time when bosses hired pinkertons to shoot union members and you have to support yourself in a constantly changing economy whose current state you had nothing to do with"

Fuck you, "libertarians". There has always been community and parental support for people who needed it going back to before the stone age.
>>
>>18608711
Part of it is that society is plagued with people who are not advancing their own lives either for lack of ambition or because they didn't get a kick in the ass til later. $500/mo is harsh on a kid straight out of HS they never wanted to go to college or were a dropout.

It really depends on the family also and if it's a son or daughter. Most families are going to push boys to man the fuck up and get working and learn to stand on their own wheras women seem to get it easier. Half of the women I've dated were living at home with their parents even into their late 20's and one at 30.
>>
>>18605742
$150 a month aint shit kid. If you got an apartment, even a shitty one, you're looking at least at $600/mo. You habe to have a deposit as well which is double the rent the first month, utilitiss are on you, as is food and clother etc, etc. You have it easy. If in order for you to live there your dad needs financial compensation to make it fair to him I'd say quitcher bitchin and pony up the dough.
>>
>>18605742
It's your father's right to charge anyone who is using his house. Whether or not it's wrong or right is a more personal opinion and family matter. If you don't like his methods, treat your future children differently and teach them your views.
>>
>>18605742
Anon I'm going to reply without reading the thread but here goes.
Yes your dad is well within his rights to charge rent. you should have a job at 19 and spending money on rent is a big motivator to make a life for yourself. idk good luck
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.