[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I being robbed, if so what do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 1420015380270.jpg (19KB, 267x255px) Image search: [Google]
1420015380270.jpg
19KB, 267x255px
So I just moved out with 2 roommates (J, and G) for college, i'm 18. The house was bought by G's mother and she's acting as our landlord. She said the rent for EACH of us would be $538 dollars (lights, water, & internet included), and my mother helped me with the first month. Being young and stupid I never bothered to check the housing price myself. Now my mother is telling me she checked and the rent for the WHOLE house should be ~$463 so the rent each should be $200 MAX. She also doesn't like the fact my roomate's aren't holy christians. So how should I confront my roomates about this and what steps do I take. God this world is so fucked up when it comes to money.
>>
>>18605084
nowhere in america will you find a 3 bedroom house for $463 per month let alone with utilities. some places you might be able to get a 1 bedroom for that but not a whole house. How did your mother come to the $463 figure?
>>
>>18605084
Where do you live?
It's not that hard to look up what rent costs are in your area.
>>
>>18605084
A 3 bedroom should be $1200 rent where I'm at. With food and bills $500 per person isnt that unreasonable. Though your payment should be flexible not fixed, fixed payments are where you get scammed, just ask for the recipt/bill and divide.
>>
Is your roomate growing pot?

I swear someone came on here some time ago, in basically the exact same situation as you, bitching about how high his rent was.

And it turned out his roommate was growing pot.

Heat lamps consume hella crazy amounts of electric. His roommates mom/their landlord spreading out the $400+ monthly high electric surcharges across the entire house.
>>
>>18605275
they'd have to be pretty autistic, you can grow a full room on under $100/month with LED lighting.
>>
We got 3 BR's all over here for under 600 a month, some with a utility clause of somesort.

Last house I rented was a 2BR for 500 with trash paid.
>>
I guess you could ask Gs mom for copy of each bill for starters. The price paid for the house can actually be found with a little stealth mission via google. Lots of places list mortgage or price bought for.

I would be as low key about this because you don't want trust issues to be a problem seeing as you just moved in there . Get solid proof before you start cursing people out.

Also I lived in two different off campus for placesx I think I paid 520 and 475 monthly, so it's not like you're getting robbed blind. Depends on location, college, etc.
>>
>>18605084
Don't you have a leash?
>>
>>18605295
This helped me I agree that I wouldnt want trust issues, I guess ill just follow other advice and ask to see bill first.
>>
File: IMG_7015.png (367KB, 615x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7015.png
367KB, 615x1024px
This is my exact townhouse, and im paying $538 rent
I dont understand mortgage and renting too much so can anyone tell me if this is wrong
Keep in mind I get included wifi,water, and lights. Also parking.
>>
>>18606271
Yeah dude, you're getting fleeced pretty hard. Rent should be 538 total, not each. I'd definitely refuse to pay that rate and offer fair market value.
>>
>>18605084

this is literally how real estate works. if they could only charge you the exact price of an area, there'd be no profit. my apartment is 1500 a month, but i charge 1000 for the SMALLER room, because i can.
>>
>>18605084
If this is true, then your mother should have looked up the market rent price prior to letting you live in that over-priced shit hole. It's her fault.
>>
>>18606309

>its your moms fault for not cross referencing the rent you agreed to pay with the rent in the area

nigga what how is it HER fault?
>>
>>18606271
Wow this sucks, im in a tight spot especially with school starting. How should I confront G's mom about the price.
>>
>>18606470
Meant to
>>18606279
>>
>>18606470
You're getting utilities paid for. I pay around the same for the same size apartment with three roommates after we include internet and electricity.
>>
>>18606470
That's a tough one dude. She's likely paying little to nothing for that house and getting $1,076 a month from you and "J". Worst case, she's paying $350 for the mortgage. absolute worst case, probably much less. Now, when you rent a unit, you usually get 20-30% over the typical mortgage price. That means market rent is probably $455ish. You can look around on craigslist and zillow and shit to see how much rent is going for in the area. But, assuming 450 is fair rent... take that and add water for 3 people, 50 bucks, power for 3 people and a 1400 sq ft space, maybe 150 a month, internet is 60 a month or whatever... that's around $710 after utilities, let's round it up to $750 for trash, pest control, or if you guys are super wasteful.

So, 750 a month total fair market value. $375 each, and that's with generous numbers.

You can just tell her that you think it's high and show her the hard numbers and if she refuses to budge, your only option is to find somewhere else. She's definitely making money off of you now though. She's probably using you and J to help fund your friend's college expenses.You're putting him through college. lol
>>
>>18606513
So, that said, I'd personally argue that 375 is fair and offer 400. She's more likely to accept if you seem like you're being generous.
>>
>>18606513
I highly doubt zillows estimate of 350 is correct unless she's doing something crazy like a 30 year fixed plan. even then your estimate of 750 "fair market value" for a whole townhouse is outrageous for the area.
>>
>>18606552
The entire townhouse sold for $94K. Rent amount is based on property value. How could it possibly be way out of line if the entire property is worth less than 100K?
>>
>>18605084
anon what are you doing? a 10 second search on craigslist would have shown you that you can get a 1 bedroom apartment for $600 in your area of gainsville or split a 2/2 for $400-500 per month.
>>
File: thinking.png (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
143KB, 600x600px
>>18606557
>Rent amount is based on property value.
Which universe are you living in?
>>
>>18606578
The current one, I suspect.

If someone is willing to pay X to rent, why would someone (maybe not the same person, but someone) not be willing to pay 0.7*X to own it? Whether it's for sale is irrelevant, value is based on what someone would pay for it.
>>
>>18605084
You shouldn't do anything. She has the right to charge whatever she wants. Look at it this way:

If you had a pencil and were willing to sell it for 50 dollars, and I was willing to pay 50 dollars for your pencil, are you in the wrong for selling it? Would you be obligated to give me a refund of 49.83 because I found out that I could have purchased a pencil for 17 cents?

Of course not. If you haven't signed a lease, you can move out/renegotiate your agreement. If you've signed a lease agreeing to pay 538 per month, every month, for a set time, then you honor your agreement.
>>
>>18606592
I havent signed any lease, and I dont think its right for me to pay something outrageous if can be avoided. I just came out of highschool man. I wanted to try >>18606514 to renegotiate.
I just needed to know if whats being charged really is way too much and what I should be paying
>>
Im going to sleep on this for now, but thanks everyone for your input, I feel like /adv/ is always there for me even when friends or family aren't. I hope I find more clear solutions when I wake up.
>>
>>18606607
Depends on how much water/electricity is being used, and how much each costs. Internet, too, especially if there is a data cap.

Also, remember that what rent /should/ be doesn't mean that it is what rent is.

I knew a guy who rented out rooms in his townhouse. Rent was only like 1100 per month, and he rented out the Master bedroom for 400/month, the bigger secondary bedroom for 350 (walk-in closet included), and the smaller secondary bedroom for 300 (no closet at all). He paid all utilities, as well as supplied everything like dishes, cookware, and a washer and dryer (although detergent was still our responsibility). You may note that he paid 50 bucks in rent, but all the extra utilities and shit, as well as replacing/repairing shit as it broke was his responsibility. That isn't free, and its often overlooked by people getting all-inclusive rent.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.