[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I learn a martial art by myself, /adv ? How ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1502093857034.jpg (28KB, 417x480px) Image search: [Google]
1502093857034.jpg
28KB, 417x480px
Can I learn a martial art by myself, /adv ? How ?
>>
You can try, there are tons of instructional videos and posts out there of every style, but it's not the most effective way to learn. You need to have other people to work with to help you learn but most importantly a qualified instructor to teach you the right way. It's one thing for a scrub to do a move on you it's a whole new thing entirely when a master does it to you. You should look in the area and try some of the free trials if you can. Plus you'll meet some great friends
>>
>>18604622
Can you learn to swim without ever going in the water?
>>
I suppose it depends on what kind of MA we're talking about (obviously you can't do judo on your own), but I highly recommend joining a class, club or whatever it might be. If you're interested in the competitive nature, you will have to practice with real opponents, and even if you just want to learn it to pull off the moves for self-defense or are trying to get fit, it's better to have an instructor so they can teach you the proper form. Martial Arts is full of moves with very subtle movement and postures that are easy to miss and downright impossible to notice in your execution by yourself. At best, doing a move wrong will make it less powerful, at worst you can injure yourself.
Why do you want to learn by yourself?
>>
>>18604622
Skill is about learning the right way to practice. This applies to anything. just improve your diet and do normal physical training, then consider shaolin (the art of ending fights) or...is it muey tai? (the art of ending opponents). Kickboxing and american boxing is also good if youre into showing-off-fights. If you can't shell out *any* money then you must not want it enough, or want other things more
>>
>>18604707
Simply have no time for another class. Am thinking of pursuing kendo in a dojo, but I love the MA moves' aesthetic, also could be useful to have self defense
>>
>>18604622
Join a class bud. You'll have to eventually, unless you're just boxing. And even boxing or other standup arts require sparring.

That being said, if you want to get a feel for different sports/arts, youtube and pirate bay are great. Download some books and check out some introductory videos. This was how I got into fencing after a while.

It's really helpful to figure out what is required of you before you jump head first into the sport, but for any serious practice, you need to join a club or class.
>>
>>18604622

no. you can learn how to be better prepared for an actual class, but just trying it on your own will lead to you being that cringy guy who says he knows martial arts but doesn't do anythingb ut watch youtube videos
>>
>fat loser
>mid 20's

how do I find a class to join where I'd be accepted?

Last time I tired to do karate it was in some mall outlet store, and it was mostly kids, of which I was the only one that couldn't afford a uniform so they all made fun of me for being in jeans and a t-shirt ( I was fucking 8)
>>
>>18604944
Well, first off try losing some weight. Head over to /fit/ and read the sticky. If you're just burning fat, count calories and you'll lose weight. I'd also suggest some form of cardio so that you're able to keep up in class. Try the couch to 5k program.

To find an adult class, call around to the local clubs and classes. Ask the owner or instructor if there is a more serious adult class or if they offer private instruction. Show that you're motivated and will do whatever you have to.

If push comes to shove and you must be in an all ages/all gender class, tough it out and push to the advanced ranks as soon as you can. Getting fit will help you do this.

All ages classes are not terrible, as no good instructor will put you with a kid to spar with, but they are annoying for sure. Tough out the class and learn the basics. Eventually if you get to the point where you can't learn any more from your sparring partners, your instructor should take you under his wing, again, if he's good.

Hope this helps bud!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.