[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I change a major belief?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: que-in-spanish.jpg (28KB, 710x390px) Image search: [Google]
que-in-spanish.jpg
28KB, 710x390px
How do I stop believing in superstitions and other realities around religious entities?

My parents were religious and superstitious people. Somehow they also remained rational but I haven't done so well. It doesn't help that I'm obsessive by nature
>>
>>18604553
I don't understand what you're talking about. You need to be more specific and clarify. What do you mean your parents were superstitious and religious, but rational? Do you mean they still acted reasonably, despite believing in things that 'weren't real'? Superstitions, and many, many religious beliefs, are basically schizophrenic, creativity gone off the rails. In the case of forming a religious doctrine or some kind of meditation, you're still in the territory of being half-reasonable, but the idea that a text can be sacred or that these supernatural beings are 'real', in the traditional sense, is ridiculous. Nothing supernatural exists, so to speak. There might be some creator beyond our observable universe, and we do have a lack of metaphysical (and just plain physical) understanding of the universe, but nothing that is 'supernatural' can exist. There's no reason that ghosts and storybook Gods aren't just figments of people's imagination - there is absolutely zero hard evidence that they exist. Shows like Ghost Hunters and religious entities like the Catholic Church are just taking advantage of people, although Ghost Hunters is entertaining, and the Catholic Church does good charities. I suggest you study epistomology, the philosophical study of rational belief.
>>
Just by stopping... It's a decision you make.

If you need reasons to give up on that belief, you should just meet those reasons around.
How?.. Well, get in touch with atheists, or just start reading stuff about it. It might make sense to you, and you'll have found your reason.
>>
>>18604553
>How do I stop believing in superstitions and other realities around religious entities?
>My parents were religious and superstitious people. Somehow they also remained rational but I haven't done so well. It doesn't help that I'm obsessive by nature
It's simple, think about everything you learn from others, mut it in the doubtful case in your mind. Everytime something feel too edgy or too cool or that everybody believe in it. Question yourself, not others. Try find answer answers by yourself, then only you will see how dumb you were at a point.
>>
>>18604588
>what are people's motivations for believing things? is it because certain beliefs entertaining, enjoyable, or otherwise beneficial to have, rather than accurate?
very good point

>try to find the answers by yourself
some people just aren't capable of this. some people are (talking the way their brains physically are, not typology bullshit) more creative than rational. someone who is more creative than rational, not that op necessarily falls into this category, can only come up with things that are basically not true, or only true by coincidence.

>>18604584
>just stop
maybe elaborate on this

>get in touch with atheists
I would recommend getting in touch with agnostics, since that is the only reasonable and educated stance to take. there's just no way to be absolutely sure of anything. it's not that I recommend listening to someone else's made up version of god(s), but to think that there is absolutely no God is presumptuous.
>>
>>18604553
At least you're aware that you have an inclination towards superstition, because that's true for all people at some point in their lives. Listen to some psych material by Jordan Peterson, he goes into what you described with great detail. He claims the basis of ALL religion is the psychological feeling of awe, the intense feeling that something you witnessed is evidence of a higher power than you or something more complex than you're prepared for.
That feeling can't be "wrong" because it doesn't say anything it's just there as a feeling. The problem with agnostics is they fail to explain awe as an evolutionary function. It seems to be there in all humans for no reason.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.