[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teacher screwing me over? Similar experience?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: fucking normies.jpg (3MB, 4500x2994px) Image search: [Google]
fucking normies.jpg
3MB, 4500x2994px
I aced all the quizzes and my final grade was lower than I expected, quite a surprise to be honest. Among other things, turns out my teacher completely missed a quiz, meaning I was missing a whole quiz's worth of points. When I asked to see how my grade was calculated, she addressed the error in her response, meaning she knew what's in the system.

Anyone ever experience something like this? I came late because of other matters and appointments early on, got some attitude from her multiple times, etc. I always felt tension with her and she wasn't particularly fond of my group when it came to group work. Somehow she didn't realize that I was missing an entire quiz (5%) from otherwise perfect scores? I don't know, sounds fucking sus to me. I know a lot of this can be in one's head so I want to see if anyone else experienced something similar.
>>
I'd like to correct that I came late only once, but the attitude still followed.
>>
>>18600425
I think that she has nothing against you unless you did something to her.
>>
>>18600442
Bad first impression? Her being a cunt and making this bad of a blunder don't seem to be mutually exclusive. If I knew, half of my issue would be taken care of.
>>
>be me
>speech 111
>write speech about how I really enjoyed doing volunteer work for police
>teacher super into weed and hates cops
>first C ever in a class where you have to be a literal autist to get below an A
>>
>>18600425
She might not like you, she might even have fucked with your grade. But, she has a lot of students and its also entirely possible she just missed it.

Either way, you got it rectified and will thus pass the class, yes? She'll soon be in your rearview and then it won't matter. Look ahead, anon.
>>
>>18600425
You did the right thing by asking if there was some error. But a single quiz counting 5% would not lower a grade enormously. The worst it could do is change a B- into a C+. There must be something else. Is there a percentage of the final grade for Class Participation or something like that? You might well have scored lower than you thought.
>>
It'd be more effort for her to mess with your grade than to just let the computer calculate it. I doubt she did anything deliberately.

What's the problem now that she knows, anyway?
>>
>>18600469
Speech teachers love getting you to talk about something you're passionate about so this is retarded. I had quite the opposite experience thankfully. Only wishing you got to retake that class, anon.

>>18600475
>>18600482
She also knocked me down on class participation, but there was nothing to openly participate for sans the occasional question. I got way lower than I expected overall, like 10 points. I spoke to a friend and he said he's never gotten below an A if he banged out all the examinations. In a situation similar to mine, he got an A+, and his class required participation. That's what I'd have without all the subjective points. I have a B (first ever) that's being corrected to an A-. The problem is I need an A to maintain my gpa.

>>18600481
I didn't directly ask if there was an error, just to see how my grade was done. That includes the final exam for which nobody knew the grade yet.
>>
>>18600425
If the grade isn't an F or D, just accept it and move on, and don't take any classes with that teacher again.
>>
>>18600518
For peace of mind, it does seem like the easier thing to do. I just think it's absurd to do well on everything, be faced with a B, and still only be bumped up to an A-. If I put in the work for it, why not do anything about it?
>>
>>18600536
Because its totally irrelevant in the long term. Nobody is going to give a shit that you got an A- instead of an A in a single class. All employers care about is the degree itself, and, to a much lessor degree, honors if you're going for a PhD or something.
>>
>>18600508
Life lesson learned: You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes you might just get what you need.
>>
>>18600536
Teacher here, so I'll chime in.

First of all, moving from a B to an A- is significant.

Secondly, no teacher that I've ever known or worked with has ever hated a student and taken it out on the student's grade. That would be incredibly petty, and it would also reflect badly on us. It feels good to give that piece-of-shit student the grade he deserves, especially when it's a good grade. (I'm not saying you were a piece of shit, but the attitude probably wasn't appreciated.) I've had students who I just did not like, be it because they were mouthy, cocky, disruptive, whatever, but I'd assess their work honestly and if they did well, then they're getting the A, A-, or whatever grade they deserve regardless of my personal feelings. It feels good because, hey, I didn't like this kid, and this kid didn't like me, but he did the work for me and it's good work so I know that I haven't failed as a teacher.

Last but not least, I suggest you really assess yourself honestly, your work and the effort that you put in. What makes you feel like you deserve an A and not an A-? Because you simply did all of the work? So what? How was the quality of your work? How much effort did you put in? Could you have done better? If you're honest with yourself, you'll probably come you realize that you got the grade you deserved. Self-assessment is not an easy or fun thing to do. It can be a humbling experience.

Quick story: In college, I would always make the dean's list, and I would always get A's and B's. One class I took was on the "literature of the New Testament." I'm other words, we read the NT in order to better understand it as a piece of historical literature. I wasn't too into the class, didn't really try, but my papers were generally well-done and the professor even made a copy of one of my papers to distribute to the class as an exemplar piece of writing. (Cont...)
>>
>>18600946
(Cont.) Sure, I didn't do as well as I would have liked on the midterm, but I was still expecting a C+ or B- in this class. Right? That's fair, I thought. My final grade in the class? D+

I was livid! "That's so unfair! He used my paper as an example! I did all of the work!" I marched down to his office and asked pointedly for an explanation. Well, he told me what I'm telling you: Assess yourself honestly. Ask yourself whether you could have put forth a little more effort, studied a little harder, etc.

I went back to my dorm room, stomped my feet, pouted, threw my childish little fit, and then I really thought about it. He was right. Sure, my writing was on point, but I had very little to offer in the way of interesting and insightful thoughts or ideas. I hadn't studied hard enough for that midterm. I deserved that D+. It stung like a son of a bitch, coming to that realization, but it was a humbling experience for me.

On my transcript, there's that D+, the only one, and it's probably the grade I'm most proud of. It taught me to assess myself honestly. I would suggest you do the same, OP. Own that A-.
>>
>>18600946
>>18600956
Thank you for your insight as to how teachers actually think. I had a situation similar to yours but in a philosophy class. I had my issues with the class, but if we're talking brass tacks then I knew exactly what I could have done better. Same thing in a world history course although that grade was really good. I even had a lazy programming teacher once, the complaints were almost universal among the class. I scored lower than I expected, but regardless, I knew how he got to the grade.

The difference is now I'm in a life science class. I could totally see why I got those other grades, especially when there's essays. I believe I have given myself an honest assessment here, and I still don't see why. You're not graded on any writing in a science class, it's all objective. I generally studied hours the night before, the following morning as I ate my breakfast, then while I was on public transportation. I'd watch the suggested videos before and after lectures. I blew all the in-class assessments out of the water. I don't think I slacked off here. I did have a rough start character-wise but I worked on that and quickly caught up on any material I zoned out on, etc. How? I was able to assess myself.

Why I care is because I was planning to hold a 4.0 for this semester as a sign of improvement, and if I did the work necessary then I should have that grade as well. The last thing I'm wondering is, how I could lose participation points if there was never any open invitation to participate like a class discussion, and like 3 chances to go up to the board? I was there everyday early, made a concerted effort to not even check my phone once, and I constantly took notes. Should I just directly bring this up to her? As a teacher, how would you want your student to approach you and what might your response be?
>>
2/2
>>18600946
>(I'm not saying you were a piece of shit, but the attitude probably wasn't appreciated.)
Sorry, by that I meant the attitude from her that followed, which I can only assume was from a shite first impression. I'm not an absolute cunt who would be that disrespectful and still expect good treatment after.
>>
>>18600425
>expecting a college professor to know you, give a shit about you, pay attention to you.

lmfao special snowflake much?
>>
File: IMG_2858.jpg (13KB, 250x179px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2858.jpg
13KB, 250x179px
Fuck dude just accept it and move on. You're acting like you did all the work right and got a C.
Just take the B and be glad you passed the class with a high grade, even if it is a little lower than usual. I honestly don't think she's going to change her mind on what grade she gave you. Just don't take any classes with her again.
>>
>>18600508
My uncle is a teacher. He says that he gets far more grief from students getting a B when they wanted an A than he ever gets from people who fail.
>>
>>18601278
I would want a student to be honest with me, maybe show a little humility, and then -- and this is important -- ask for an opportunity to earn the better grade, by redoing an assignment, maybe, or a special project.

The truth is, oftentimes we teachers are an insecure, stubborn bunch of people. But we're also a very sincere, caring, and fair bunch of people.

So we hate nothing more than a student blowing our doors off and bitching about their grade as though we've done something wrong, questioning our ability and integrity as teachers. Approach me in that way, and the most that I will do for you is check once more just to make sure that I haven't forgotten to put in an assignment for you or accidentally put in the wrong grade.

Come see me, explain your situation, why you need the 4.0, acknowledge that you could have tried a little harder to participate more in class (whether you believe that to be the case or not), maybe you could have worked a little harder on a given assignment, and then ask for the opportunity to earn that better grade. Make me feel like you understand that my time is valuable, and that I've got a lot on my plate, and that this would be doing you a huge favor, one that you won't forget. And I'll do it.

If it sounds like a little bit of ego-stroking, well, that's because it is. Look, we're teachers. Working in academia is still sort of a niche, underappreciated thing. We're the people who built lopsided bird houses in wood shop, the people who got picked last in gym class, but for whatever reason we excel at reading, writing, and studying. Make us feel a little appreciated and respected, and we'll go far out of our way for you. Yeah, it's something of an ego thing, but that's just the way it is.
>>
>>18601392
This is so true. And the parents are the worst part. If I had a nickel for every time a parent has called me or e-mailed me to bitch about their son or daughter's receiving an A in my class instead of an A+
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.