[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work discipline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1438424742090.jpg (89KB, 546x960px) Image search: [Google]
1438424742090.jpg
89KB, 546x960px
I don't get it.

I can spend hours learning things i'm interested in - e.g., thoroughly researching something I'm interested in buying..; some esoteric processes to fix some broken device; the details of some social issue or psychological phenomena; or the state of some random industry. 90% of my Youtube subscriptions are informational. I can sit down and read a book non-stop for 10 hours.
And when it comes to video games - oh boy - I'm able to display extreme tolerances for monotony, discomfort, and even outright illness or pain for ridiculous time periods on end.

And yet, when it comes to things I *have* to learn, e.g. university work, I can barely commit for more than 10 minutes. I suddenly become intolerant to any physical discomfort. I lose focus and start thinking of other things, or check my phone every 5 minutes.

The crazy thing is, I'm actually interested in what I've chosen to learn at uni. I'm doing a business course -- Understanding economics? Excellent. Frameworks to analyze businesses? Interesting! Finally learning how stocks and shares work? Hell yes!

I can totally see myself learning all the things I'm prescribed, if I came across it on my own. This is all interesting shit. But, as soon as it becomes classified as 'work', I simply lose the ability to do it.

Anyone else in the same boat? What gives?
>>
>>18600285

bump
>>
File: send help.png (976KB, 732x1672px) Image search: [Google]
send help.png
976KB, 732x1672px
Here because I'm 50% through the reviews I need to study for my final-final exam in 11 hours. Honestly anon, people like us are just highly intelligent and have an insatiable thirst for knowledge - this is a good thing. Though it can be inconvenient or uncomfortable when trying to accomplish necessary tasks such as homework. Though you must understand that it is crucial to get this preliminary education down by any means as it will be essential in the field. I hope that you still get your A's and B's as needed (in a timely manner). I'm sure you do, as far as ADD reduction try setting a timer for time to work, and then schedule breaks just like you were at your part time job. A co-worker told me "put as many hours into your craft/passion as you do here - for every 8 hours etc..." It makes sense to give yourself "breaks" too, but be strict with yourself. Perhaps try picturing yourself in the field while learning these assignments? Talk out loud at your desk chair as if there were two of your own students behind you taking notes on everything you said. I dunno, goodluck man. You'll be fine, at least you're trying.
>>
>>18600458

>Though you must understand that it is crucial to get this preliminary education down by any means as it will be essential in the field.
Absolutely

>I hope that you still get your A's and B's as needed (in a timely manner). I'm sure you do
The sad reality is that my grade variance goes from A+ to even a C, depending on the course. My lack of [effective] study ends up rearing its head in major tests/assignments. Interestingly though, with group projects, I'm never behind. I work my ass off so as to not affect the rest of the team.

>Perhaps try picturing yourself in the field while learning these assignments? Talk out loud at your desk chair as if there were two of your own students behind you taking notes on everything you said. I dunno, goodluck man. You'll be fine, at least you're trying.

Huh, this is an interesting idea. I just mentioned above that when I perceive that other people are involved, my bad habits get overridden. Perhaps I can use this to create a new frame for the concept of professional study - where I trick myself into thinking other people are dependent on it. Not ideal, but it just may work/be a stepping stone to real progress..

Thanks for your input!
>>
I can very much identify myself with your post OP, I'm at the same situation with the same conditions.
When I was a middle schoolar some professional suggested I had ADD but we never got it diagnosted officialy.
Now being a university student I have a hard time consentrating, I thought I'd get myself diagnosed and maybe get a prescription for ritalin (Only if tests find I need it!) but the general impression I got was "Nah no need to get tested, it's natural. You have good grades and so long as you can read a book and not flank your degree you're doing fine. Just understand that your capabilities are not limitless". I'm not that happy with that. I'm not comparing myself to the average student, rather to what I CAN be if I wouldn't get distracted so easily and study so ineffectively. I didn't bother to push further about getting diagnosed...
>>
>>18600748

Yeah mon, that's the spirit. Glad I could help, I do hope you find something out. Maybe study groups will help? Make friends with some q-tease and get your mind on before you grind on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uj3zitETs4
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.