[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to live by yourself off $45k a year? My parents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: 1464444493259.jpg (607KB, 3600x2700px) Image search: [Google]
1464444493259.jpg
607KB, 3600x2700px
Is it possible to live by yourself off $45k a year?

My parents say it isn't, but I think they just want me to stay at home and do chores and shit.
>>
>>18599662
If you do not know that you can live with more than 3500 dollars per month, you do not know how to make 3500 dollars per month.
>>
isn't that like the average salary of americans?
>>
>>18599671
>>18599670
I live in CT, I want to own my own condo and have enough for savings afterwards.

Most Americans are living paycheck to paycheck
>>
Depends on whether you're okay with renting forever
>>
Let's do the math
500$ rent , less if roomates
240$ car insurance
Gas 120$
Food 300$
Extras , cloths for exp 120$
Internet , 50$
Sex toys , 100$ Per 3 months
>>
>>18599662
depends on where you live
in my area, it is easily doable. you could live reasonably well on 45k here
>>
>>18599689
>$500 rent

Where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>18599691
> implying you have to live in the city even if you work in it
>>
>>18599700
Cheapest rent I can find anyway is $800 for the slums
>>
>>18599662
>Is it possible to live by yourself off $45k a year?
Go on craigslist and look at what an average rental is running

""livable"" is dependant on

1. your spending habits
2. your curren life situation (married,kids)
3.what your unqiue necessities (my kid needs insulin)

Describe where your at in life, and tell me what the average rental is for your area.

But generally, it probably is.
>>
>>18599702
Nigger , quit living in California or New York
>>
>>18599704
I have no debt. I live frugally. I don't go outs on the weekend. But I live in the Hartford area, where's it's kind of expensive and everything is taxed to hell.
>>
>>18599712
Dude, that's average. Cali and NY slums are more like 1000 - 1200 a month.
>>
>>18599714
You may need to move buddy , my lease is year long so I save around 100$ per month ,
>>
>>18599714
>Dude, that's average. Cali and NY slums are more like 1000 - 1200 a month.
dude RIP, in my area im looking to move into a a luxuray apartment , and studio there will be about 1K a month with utilities included.
>>18599713
i googled your area on CL and from i can tell 600-800 for a studio is common. Dont know how utilites are handled

As long as your avoid the common normie financial pit falls (eating out all the time, getting a loan for a depreciating asset like a car, not looking at saving/investing) your more thank likely gonna be fine. Hell you could absolutely stand to raise a faimly if your moderately frugual

Any GF/kids?

Maybe also find a close friend as a roomie to save a few bucks.
>>
>>18599730
No GF or Kids, I don't want a roommate either.

I do want to put some money into my 401(k) and save for retirement
>>
>>18599736
well you sound pretty good to go

in your situation, 45k is ABSOLUTELY viable.

be frugal, be smart, invest/save.

Make sure to have a health sized emergency fund (6 months of expenses) put away for emergencies
>>
>>18599736
Main thing is to regulate just how much you spend and slowly put an x amount into and account for retirement / investment
>>
>>18599662

I was 26 by the time I made $45k and was able to live without my parents' help at 22. But I lived with roommates (and still do). And I live in Las Vegas, where the cost of living is incredible. I'd imagine it's ridiculous in CT or any East Coast metropolitan, but not impossible.

I guess my advice is... get roommates, or move to a cheaper place.
>>
>>18599670
it's more like 2800 after taxes.

>>18599671
national average is around 55k

>>18599662
I was living in chicago making 14 an hour up until a few months ago.

700 in rent plus utilities, plus a cat. I was paycheck to paycheck as hell and I had weeks where I had 20 in my account waiting to get paid, but it is absolutely possible.

I'm at 47k now and I'm fighting the urge to get a better apartment because right now I can put 200 dollars of every check into savings.
>>
>>18599768
are you implying that 700$ per month extra would benefit you more than some Muslim refugee , racist
>>
>>18599662
I'm living alone for less than $24k/yr. I can't even fucking fathom what it would be like making twice as much as I do now. Holy fuck.
>>
>>18599781
>18599781
ideally you just live the way you do now, perhaps a bit better, and just invest/save the rest.
>>
If youre really frugal you could live off of like 24k a year. Your parents are full of shit.

This wont be true in like NYC, LA, or San Francisco. Most any non-yuppie place you could live well off of 45k.
>>
>>18599662
Yup, currently make $40k as a teacher. Survived on $25k on my own but it was just meh. Survived in poverty too $20k
>>
Yea depends on taxes if you are in a blue state...
Well some one has to pay for the "poor "aka lazy assholes
>>
>>18599662
>Is it possible
What are you a fucking idiot? Of course you can that's so much money
>>
>>18599768
>national average is around 55k
for a HOUSEHOLD not one person
>>
Ah, 4chan - the place where with a 65k annuaI income I can simultaneously feel like a poorfag wage slave and also like a lucky blessed middle class professional.
>>
>>18599689
Man, different Anon here.
I bring home chump change but with those figures I have to wonder where the fuck is all my money going?
>>
Yeah OP, its bery doable. I used to work offshore and made $45k base and got payed a day rate when i went offshore. Due to the volatility of the work I pretended I only made $45k and save the rest. Even with on $45 youre able to live very comfortably, have fun and still be able to save money. Just don't be a consumerist
>>
File: 1500883279432.jpg (43KB, 1200x784px) Image search: [Google]
1500883279432.jpg
43KB, 1200x784px
>saving all of your money so you can die with a full bank account
LOL, hope you don't get hit by a car anon!
>>
My gf basically lives on her own (she doesn't charge her brother for living on her couch but he pays for all of his own stuff) and makes under $22k per year. She has student loans, bills, and rent which leave her with less than $30 left over for groceries and entertainment each month. If she can almost make it in one of the biggest cities in the US with under half of your pay, you're good.
>>
I own my own home with an inground pool and live off $24,000 per year in a nice middle class neighborhood in Florida.
>>
>>18599662
Depends where you live. My wife and I lived comfortably off of 35k per year gross in the midwest. That said, 45k per year would be struggling to survive on your own (without roommates) in a place like NYC. But those metros are meat grinders, and exceptions, rather than the rule.
>>
>>18599689
that's some expensive food. are you a vegan or one of those organic/grass fed people?
>>
>>18599691
Not who you were responding to, but I have 400/month rent in a small midwestern town. Really nice place, too. A cheap place in this town is 300/month.
>>
Depends on where you live. I live in denver co right now and rent is insane. It's like $1500 a month for an appartment. I own a trailer (cost like 50g to buy outright) and just the lot rent is $800 and that's not including any utilities at all. I lived in Nebraska a few years ago, rural small town. Rented a whole 3 bedroom house there with a nice big yard and it was only $600 a month. It all depends on where your at. The further away from the city you get the nicer place you can find for cheeper.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.