[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1429592203576.png (157KB, 383x466px) Image search: [Google]
1429592203576.png
157KB, 383x466px
I'm in a weird, shitty place right now. Long story short, my car recently died and needs a new engine, which is an estimated $35-3800 fix. My mechanic thinks the care is worth fixing because while its a 2000, the rest of the car is good because it only has 87k mile on it. The problem is that I don't have that kind of money. I never have, and that is more than 2 months pay for me. My credit is shit because I have a hospital bill AND student loans I can't afford that have destroyed what credit I had, so I can't get any sort of loan either.

My parents are pushing me to ask my aunt for a loan be abuse she has the money and supposedly will loan it, but I don't feel comfortable asking anyone for that kind of money. I brought this up with my parents and they told me that
> It's a loan, you will never get ahead living paycheck to paycheck. Don't you ever want to own a home, you have to borrow a hell of a lot more than that
And I never responded because I don't ever want to own a home, and being in debt for 30+ years doesn't sound appealing at all for a whole bunch of reasons. It really has nothing to do with the car, but it has me all flustered and almost in a panic.

I don't know. I don't know what to do.
>>
Fuck
>>
/o/ faggot here. What kind of car is it? Why does it need a new engine, like what happened? Does the mechanic want to rebuild the engine, or swap in another one? What has he told you? Need more info but i can say that you can just get another beater car for half the price.

Regardless you will need a loan, or a bicycle. Your choice.
>>
>>18599599
I'd say bike if you can afford it, save your money and get a workout at the same time.
>>
>>18599599

It's a 2000 alero, and the head is likely cracked because it can't hold coolant. The radiator and water pump need to be replaced along with the engine and he guessed high because the intake manifold might be warped as well.

>>18599605
It's way too far to bike to work, and buses are finished by the time I'm done. I'm currently borrowing my dad's truck so I can work.

I can't even afford a beater car, and if I get another beater car, I'm just going to have even more problems to worry about, not to mention I'm sure as shit am not getting a loan on a beater.
>>
>>18599615

Lol. This guy is taking you for a ride. Ao basically he wants you to pay him to rebuild a shit engine in a shit car for $3500 when you can nab an engine at the junkyard for like $600 and pay to have it swapped in for like $1500 in labor.

What else did he tell you? A cracked/warped head doesnt cause your car to loose coolant, its the result of not having enough coolant. The symptoms would be a lack of compression in one or more cylinders. If coolant was leaking because of the cracked head, you would be seeing a fuckload of bubbles in your coolant (rare) or coolant in your oil making it thick and milky looking (common). Im assuming he didnt tell you this, because you arent listing that detail.

Why does the radiatoe need to be replaced? For what purpose? Whats wrong with it? If you had a cracked radiator, you would be seeing coolant leaking from it. Why does your waterpump need to be replaced? Although probability says it does because oldsmobiles are shit cars, what reasoning did he give? Its possible a bad waterpump alone could be the sourcs od your problems. And warped intake manifold? LOL. Literally a flat out lie. This doesnt happen. Hes literally bending you over to assfuck your ignorant ass.

Whats wrong with the car? What symptoms? Does it run? Does it not even turn over? Does it overheat? Smoke? Tell me exactly why you went to this liar mechanic to begin with, every detail that youre aware of.

You can get a decent car for 2 grand with minimal issues. You simply need to educate yourself. I did,100% alone, because i was in a similar boat. Now i dont go to the mechanics because i know how to diagnose and fix shit myself.
>>
>>18599647

Just a heads up i might not be able to reply further since im going somewhere without wifi. Keep this thread from reaching page 10 and ill help you put further when i get home later.
>>
>>18599672

Sure
>>
>>18599647

I don't think he's jerking me around because he's a family friend who happens to work at a garage. I'm not exactly knowledgeable about the inner workings of a car, so I probably got things wrong. However, I do know the radiator needs to be replaced because of a warranty on wherever he's getting the engine.
>>
>>18600149
See>>18599647

Give me more info. Family friend or not, what im seeing is not adding up. Does he want to replace the engine or rebuild it? Why does the radiator come into play? A radiator is a radiator, theres literally nothing to them. They are not part of the engine, unless it is clogged or leaking you shouldnt be replacing it. I doubt any warranty is coming into play 17 years later. Answer what you can in my other post, i cant really tell you anything more than what i already have without additional info.

What i can tell you is regardless, you are 100% better off scrapping this shitbag car and getting something more reliable. Get a nissan or honda that goes to 300k miles with no issue. The fact your car took a dump below 100k miles is your proof that its a total rolling hunk of garbage. 100k is nothing.

Gimme legit every last bit of info you have and i can help you best i can.
>>
>>18600201
>Does he want to replace the engine or rebuild it?
Replace it
>Why does the radiator come into play?
The replacement engine has a warranty on it, but only if the radiator is replaced.

>What else did he tell you? A cracked/warped head doesnt cause your car to loose coolant, its the result of not having enough coolant.
You are correct. The car wasn't holding coolant, and it was being driven this way on my way to my mechanic. I was putting water in as often as I could, but it wasn't holding. I did eventually have it towed, which was thankfully within the free range. Next day, I get the news that either the head or the block is fucked.

>you would be seeing a fuckload of bubbles in your coolant
I did see this as I was filling up the coolant myself, which I attributed to the system burping itself.

>Whats wrong with the car? What symptoms?
Literally not retain coolant anymore. I had minor problems in the past with it overheating and found low coolant to be the problem, but this time it's just dumping it to the ground and obviously overheating.
>Does it run?
It gets hot quick, but it runs.
>Does it overheat?
Yes
>Smoke?
From the radiator

>Tell me exactly why you went to this liar mechanic to begin with, every detail that you're aware of.
He's a family friend who's been doing my family's cars for years now. I've never had a problem with him in the past, and he's always been cheap.
>>
>>18599416
I would just buy a new car. I typically spend about 2-2.5k on a car, and drive it until it won't run anymore. Liability insurance (300 every 6 months when bundled with renters insurance) and Triple A (50 bucks per year for free jumps and towing). When the car no longer works, get it towed to a junk heap, get 300 bucks for it, and buy a "new" used vehicle for about 2 grand. Even if I need a loan, I can pay that off within a couple of months, plus it actually impacts my credit score (unlike borrowing from family).

That said, if you're that poor, I would actually recommend that you just get a little scooter, like a Vespa. Under a certain CC (varies by state), you don't need to insure it. May not even need to register it. Then you get like 50 miles to the gallon for like 1000 bucks.
>>
>>18600275

I usually dropped 1000-1200 on a car when I needed a new one, but I just don't have it right now. No one is going to lend me money for some old beater.
>>
>>18600373
Yes, they will, presuming you don't have shit credit.
>>
>>18600389
Did you not read? I have student loans ruining my credit
>>
>>18600265

So he wants to replace the engine - why does he need to replace your waterpump? Its inside the engine. If youre getting a different engine swapped in, why would he bother replacing it? First red flag. Why would he replace your "warped" intake manifold if that its also part of the engine and getting swapped as well? Intake manifolds dont warp, your car would weld itself together from the sheer heat required before that happened. Ive literally never heard of such a thing - and the fact that even if it was warped that youd have a new one with your engine swap makes the whole story bullshit. BIG red flag.

Where is this engine even coming from? You should be able to get an engine from the junkyard for half a grand. Labor to have it installed would hit you for about 1500$, MAYBE 2 grand at the absolute most. A radiator can be had from the junkyard for like $50, or brand new in the box for like $200 off somewhere like rockauto.

Sounds like your engine is fucked. But the story and costs your mechanic is giving doesnt add up. It sounds like he wants to milk you for as much as possible. If he was a good family "friend" he would have advised you to simply get another car for the amount hes saying it would cost to fix. Again you can get a perfectly reliable car with ~100k miles on it for 2 grand easily. Problems are not hard to spot at all, you just need to teach yourself what to look for.

Dont bother with your old car. Its a shit car. An engine swap will only prolong your misery. Whos to say a bunch of other shit wont need replacing soon? 87k miles and the engine takes a dump is unexcusable.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.