[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Studies and Finance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0315.jpg (329KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0315.jpg
329KB, 1152x2048px
Going to university soon, still a bit unsure in terms of degree. I'm terrible at Maths, but at History I'm probably one of the top 100 or so students of my admittedly small (around 10mil people) country. I have an interest in politics, economy, and social sciences, so I've been toying with the idea of studying Communication Sciences, even though that's a bit of a meme degree. The safer, but more boring option, is Law, which is also interesting but seems like way too much work. Most lawyers I know are always busy with work and barely have time for themselves and their family. There's also History, which I love, but that might be just because my high school History teacher was an exceptional guy who managed to ignite my passion for the subject and made classes enjoyable. What's your opinion on these 3 degrees?

Also, I have around 15.000€ (around 18k dollars) on my bank account. Financially, what should I do with that money as an 18 yo? Leave it in a saving account?
>>
Being an economics student myself, I can only say that if you're terrible at maths (even though this per se doesn't mean anything, you could've had bad teachers or studied the wrong way) you should avoid economics. The amount of maths involved depends on the field (with finance and economics being the most math intensive, and business administration and such ones the least), but overall I wouldn't recommend if you don't like formulas or mathematical analysis. Keep in mind that economics among the social sciences is the one closest to be a natural science. If that fascinates you though go for it, if the passion is big enough you can overcome the problems though. About law the good thing is that it gives you many other possibilities than to be a lawyer, being it a magistrate, a regulator and so on, even though the lawyer is the most obvious and common choice. History seem to be the best choice for you, but you should consider also job opportunities.I can't think of much other than being a teacher or a researcher, but maybe you do.

Can't say much about your savings other than talking to a financial advisor. If you just keep the money there a bank account is useless. You can either buy investment grade government bonds (which usually yield a bit more than bank deposits) or go for investment funds with low risk profile. In any case you should ask a financial advisor for more detailed guidance as for specific instruments. Hope this helps
>>
>>18598702
Thanks for the long reply. Yeah I completely gave up on anything economics-related, I'm too far behind when it comes to Math. I'll look into the other Law job possibilities, I thought basically all you could with it was become a lawyer, but apparently there's more to it, thanks for the heads-up. History seems like a good choice indeed, but the job opportunities problem is always present. Not sure if I have the profile of a teacher, and other than that there's not much you can do with a degree like it. And I guess that no matter the degree I choose, I can always keep reading books about History until I'm knowledgeable enough to write a book or something.
>>
>>18598782
I'm not sure how it is in your country but most politicians at the state and federal level here in the US have law degrees.
>>
>>18598782
Yeah, giving up on making that your primary field of studying doesn't mean that you should give up entirely on it. It's really hard to make a job of your passion, just stick with something you can tolerate or like enough to do it and manage your free time for the things you really like and want to do. That's the key
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.