[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm Quiet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: china-vs-india_o_909280.jpg (53KB, 480x370px) Image search: [Google]
china-vs-india_o_909280.jpg
53KB, 480x370px
In groups of 4+ people I'm very quiet. I rarely say anything unless I'm asked a question or there's something I feel needs to be said. I've tried making conversation by saying something I'd think was interesting but suddenly nobody pays attention.

I got called out by someone from the two groups of friends I hung out with last week (two different people, each from a different group of my friends). One guy called me boring and the other person said I looked like I didn't want to be with them. I wasn't hurt because I acknowledge that I was boring then and I did want to be with them though it may not have looked like it on the long car ride so I just brushed that off.

I see that I need to change to improve my social skills to improve my life and open up my opportunities and I'm not upset with the people who called me out, they were telling the truth. I'm better at talking one on one because the other person kind of has to listen to you, but am no conversational expert. How do I become more fun of a guy in groups of people? I'm confident and I'm not too afraid of fucking up, but I just have nothing interesting to say which is why I don't talk much.
>>
I kind of have the same problem as you, to be frank. I saw a Jordan Peterson video a while ago where he briefly talked about this problem, and it helped me a bit. He said something along the lines of when you're in a group situation, you're not supposed to talk to the whole group, just talk to someone in particular, and that person's reaction will reflect the whole group's reaction. If I find the video in question I'll post it. But try to do that. I don't mean isolating someone and starting a 1 on 1 conversation, but direct your attention to one person at a time. If you can make that person laugh, chances are other people will also smile, even if they don't fully understand what you're saying.
>>
>>18597520
what i usually do in groups is stick to the person i get along with the best and just casually talk to them, when something could be interesting for other people aswell i kinda pick a moment where nobody else is talking so they'll naturally just start listening to you and your friend talking and kinda follow your story if it's any good

hope i helped even a bit and maybe try different groups that share same interests as you, i mean you have to have something you can talk about
>>
>>18597520
if you accept the way you are not talking much and the friends are saying you bore them then you won't have friends for long.

Don't pretend yourself incapable of excitement.
>>
The point in group conversation is to just go with the flow. It doesnt matter if you go ignored from time to time. It's completely normal and happens to everyone in the group. Just comment and share your thoughts to people near you until you start to get the hang of it. Usually the more social people set the pace for the conversation, just let them. Also when you arent talking at least look like your listening and you are mentally present.
>>
File: 1502005892076.jpg (11KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
1502005892076.jpg
11KB, 500x350px
>>18598558
Is it possible for me to be the more social person so I can set the peace of the conversation? How do I do that or learn how to?
>>
>>18598608
Of course it. Most people dont realize how much social skill is like any other. You improve with practice, but constant improvement requires that you go out of your comfort zone and seek new social situations. Like when you have no idea what you're going to say beforehand. Failing seems scary at first, but you get better at failing also and learn to minimize any awkwardness if you say or do something dumb. Also always be honest, dont make up stories that didnt happen.
>>
>>18598539
>you're not supposed to talk to the whole group, just talk to someone in particular
Pretty much how it works. Usually I'll talk to one friend in my friend group and they'll just stop and listen, mostly because there's only one conversation going on at a time, and people will just chime in.
Just talk to the one that looks the most comfortable to talk with and then the group will listen and chime in.
>>
File: engineer-funny-pictures-images.jpg (55KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
engineer-funny-pictures-images.jpg
55KB, 600x406px
Original meme, India can't do SHIT. You faggots try to insult China while you use 99% China's products and even abuse in your disgusting gutterfilth language while using devices made in CHINA. Stupid faggots, your country will collapse and be dead in month if China stopped her exports to you lol.
>>
>>18598874
Enjoy your censored internet faggot. Once 4chan is labeled as subversive and banned you'll have to leave your glorious homeland to shitpost again.
>>
>>18598874
>You faggots try to insult China while you use 99% China's products and even abuse in your disgusting gutterfilth language while using devices made in CHINA. Stupid faggots, your country will collapse and be dead in month if China stopped her exports to you lol.
Holy fucking shit, you really do come across 100% genuinely chinese.
I thought the stereotypes about china was exaggerated, but they clearly are not.
>MUH MIDDLE KINGDOM
>>
>>18598874
>>18598955
>>18599245
H-he's right though.

also, DESIGNATED
>>
File: 1490508081785.jpg (172KB, 1273x625px) Image search: [Google]
1490508081785.jpg
172KB, 1273x625px
>>18599254
SHITTING

I don't want to derail so, a bump, Im basically in the same boat as you op, in the past weeks I had a real fucking wake up call form various situations in my daily basis, and tired that let me investigate in how to be more social, last thing that learned is the "inspire and invite" thingy, try to take a look at it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.