[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't handle the 9-5 grind, retreat into grad school?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 600709409_1280x720.jpg (111KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
600709409_1280x720.jpg
111KB, 1280x720px
Can someone explain to me why I WOULDN'T want to go into academia?

I'm mid 20s, doing the 9-5 city grind, and it's so bleak and meaningless. I miss being in classes, writing papers, being in labs, on college campuses that filtered out the masses, and being surrounded by people with similar interests at similar stages in their lives as me (yeah i'm not ashamed to admit it), and being in that bubble.

Maybe it's just grass is greener, but life was more exciting when I struggled a bit financially. in undergrad you work a shit side job or two so you can afford to drop 30 dollars at the bar or pitch in for a shitty house party with your equally poor friends. now i can go to happy hours with coworkers or buy loads of groceries, pay rent and not give a fuck. there's no struggle and now it's boring.

the quaint college town with the one single quirky cafe is way more charming than the big city with a gajillion starbucks stores every other block.

should I just apply to grad school and never put on khakis and a tie for the rest of my life?
>>
I really can't understand why you'd WANT to go back to school.

When you're studying, there's always something hanging over you; even if you don't have any tests or assignments in the near future, there's always the feeling that you should be doing something. You also then have to go to your shitty part time job.

When you're working, you go to work, stay there for 8 hours, then come home and switch off. Any time you're not at work is time you have for yourself. Plus you're not poor.

And this is coming from someone who LOVES learning.
>>
Grad student here. Really, REALLY think hard before going in. It is leagues above the work load you had in undergrad. You had a side job and went to parties as an undergrad? That will NOT happen in grad school. I literally work on papers, readings, grading stuff all day every day. It's fucking summer and I'm still doing it. It does not end, your mind is not turned off.

But if you truly enjoy the field/subject then this is not a bad thing. I love the atmosphere and the work.

>no khakis and a tie
Not planning on presenting papers at a conference?
>>
>>18596278
>Not planning on presenting papers at a conference?
Not OP, but my friend didn't do stuff like attending conferences until she started her PhD. She might not have made the most of her Masters though, idk.
>>
>>18596284
Yeah it's not mandatory or anything, but it's incredibly useful in terms of learning how to present your work in those types of environments beyond the same 30 people you see every day in your program.

I have noticed it's mostly phds that do it, with only the homerun hitting MAs that do it. MA is mostly course work compared to all the original work of a phd.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.