[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling to US

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: luj00d392laz.jpg (60KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
luj00d392laz.jpg
60KB, 960x640px
Canadian here, going to be traveling to California in a couple days, will be staying there for a month.

I don't travel much, especially internationally, so I have no idea what to really expect, and I've got constant anxiety about what I might be overlooking.

Any tips for an inexperienced traveler to the US?
>>
>>18591762
California is so large and so diverse, what to expect depends on where you're going.

Where in Cali are you headed (and why)?
>>
>>18591793
Fremont, in Silicon Valley. It's for a "coding bootcamp". Spend the month learning C language
>>
Bay Area native here. Fremont is a boring piece of shit. If you have a car you can drive to San Francisco which will have more to do. You're also not terribly far from Great America which is a pretty fun theme park if you're into that. Make sure you get out to a beach at some point. SF is overrrated for that, try Santa Cruz. Just know that's a bit more of a drive (but not significant).
>>
Also live in bay area
fremont is full of asians lmao
so big thing to remember is to tip whenever you go someplace to eat
tipping is a pretty important thing
get a friend who can show you around
other than that there's not much to be worried about
>>
File: Fremont.jpg (287KB, 907x680px) Image search: [Google]
Fremont.jpg
287KB, 907x680px
>>18592681
Are you going to have your own transportation?

As others have said, Fremont itself is pretty boring. But the entire Bay Area is very physically beautiful, so even if you're trapped in Fremont you can still head out for walks/hikes/bike rides. You'll be even better off if you can escape on weekends to places that are not Fremont (e.g. go see music, opera, or art in San Francisco, relax at Ocean Beach, climb to the top of Mt. Tam or Mt. Diablo...).

So bring good walking/hiking shoes even if you have no other forms of transport.

I don't know where in Canada you live, but American and Canadian large cities are a lot a like. Think of Fremont like a close-by suburb of Toronto, it shouldn't be that surprising to you. (Then again if you're from Nunavut...)

Biggest tip: don't stay inside or too close to where your coding camp is, the Bay Area is one of the prettier areas of the world, go out and experience it.

I hope your month in the Bay Area is great!
>>
>>18592915
Hah I won't have my own transportation. I don't even know how much downtime I'll get, but yeah going for walks and doing a bit of urban exploring was something I was looking forward to.

And thanks!
>>
>>18592731
No worries about tipping, I always tip here at home too. Super normal thing
>>
File: Mt. Tam view at night.jpg (372KB, 1024x553px) Image search: [Google]
Mt. Tam view at night.jpg
372KB, 1024x553px
>>18593652
Just as a general life-advice thing, if you have choices between time spent coding and time spent out - choose the time spent out.

Coding you can practice anywhere. Physically being someplace, especially a place as nice as the Bay Area, isn't something you can do at home.

It also occurs to me you might want to look for professional talks that are happening while you're in the area. If you're learning to code I'm assuming you might want to do something with it, and that depends as much on personal connections as knowing tech. San Jose is just around the bottom end of the Bay, and SF is just over the bridge. You'll value the friends you make and the experiences you have far more than knowing what x++ means.

Again, have a great time in my old home.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.