[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is college worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Tumblr_mcu2n9is8I1qzycpbo1_500.png (198KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr_mcu2n9is8I1qzycpbo1_500.png
198KB, 500x296px
So I'm 24, and live in Europe.
I'm studying architecture in college and keep failing for a variety of reasons.
It used to be pure laziness on my part when I was younger, but now it's like the course just doesn't suit me. I'm not even sure why but I worked like a dog and still failed again.

This means it'll be another 2 years before I graduate and I'll only have a degree.

I don't want to study something else because frankly nothing really interests me that much but more importantly I just don't think I could live with myself if I quit architecture.

So, how do you think I'd fair if I just try get a job? Aside from my lacking a piece of paper I have good Photoshop skills, and modeling software etc. And I'm quite smart and have been employed consistently for years now in an unrelated field.

I could see myself returning somewhere down the line. But at this stage it's infuriating to still be in college and I really feel like it's actually holding me back as I'm quite a capable person and all of my friends who I outperformed all throughout school just keep advancing while I remain stuck.

Thankyou!
>>
It always boggles my mind when people ask if college is worth it in a country where college is fucking free

and even if you live in Poland or something where unis are shit, you can usually get into good German universities for close to no cost

just man up and if you don't have any real interests just fucking get a bachelor's in engineering or something, there's no way you will regret the extra job opportunities
>>
>>18589505
College isn't free here once you've failed already. It's about 5000 a year.

To get a bachelor's in engineering I'd have to change course again, something I said I didn't want to do. Also maths isn't my strong point. Admittedly engineering looks very interesting but I probably wouldn't be very good at it.
>>
>>18589505
The university I'm in is a good one too but the way the course is taught is just...awful.

So I failed the second semester. I got like an Email or something.

So they gave me a chance to resit over the summer. I took 4 weeks off work to just work on my portfolio. I handed it in again and they still failed me.

I understand you can't see the work I did and so have to take my word for it that it wasn't terrible. But can you think of any other subject where after doing 4 weeks of work you couldn't improve by a single fucking grade?

I literally worked constantly for those 4 weeks.
>>
>>18589591
Edit: I got an E grade. Not an email.
>>
>Modeling skills
>PS skills
>How will I fair?

Where is your portfolio website? And if it doesn't exist, then the answer is you will not fair well at all.

>Archetecture

Why? At least git gud at an industry that employs more than 6 people.

Maybe git gud at 3d printing or something using your modeling skills.
>>
>>18589612
I don't have a website but I suppose I could put one together?

Well I like the mix of the artistic with the scientific. And apparently it's not as hard to get hired as it was.

If I could actually get through the fucking course haha
>>
>>18589612
When you say get good at 3D printing how do you mean?

Is it not mostly the machine that does the work there?

I mean I can use software that would make models but I imagine no better than anyone who would actually want a model built themselves
>>
>>18589663
I have done 3D animations for Chemical Companies and Factories and shit. I am a full time animator. Art/Sci jobs are indeed out there.

You NEED a portfolio site, and buy the full package "yourname.com" not a yourname-BLOGSPOT-TUMBLR.com, look professional. It's not that expensive. You can make one on Sqaurespace or Adobe Portfolio.

>>18589666
3D printing has a lot of weird little caveats in how things must be modeled. You can't just throw a 3D model in and out pops a perfect statue. If it's something you want to get into maybe try it.

Mainly, figure out what kind of shit your into. Motion Design/Games/Commercial/2D/3D. And start learning that kind of shit.

Modeling alone is pretty basic bitch shit. I'd pick up some texture/lighting/rendering/rigging/animation skills at least.

Start researching positions and look for jobs to see what kind of stuff the market is asking for. Mainly develop good foundation of skills, you can learn new programs latter.

Getting into this industry is a total bitch, but it's kind of rewarding.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.