[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I enjoy learning Japanese but feel like I'm wasting time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: cdbf55676197783a79ee31105a70ef6b.jpg (637KB, 1228x868px) Image search: [Google]
cdbf55676197783a79ee31105a70ef6b.jpg
637KB, 1228x868px
I wanted to learn a language for the cognitive benefits and eventually decided on Japanese, I genuinly enjoy learning it and I'm already seeing the benefits but I feel like I'm wasting my time as I don't know if I could actually benefit from it in the workplace or such.

I could get the cognitive benefits from a quicker to learn, albeit less fun language, not to mention that chinese is better for workplace things, should I grit my teeth and do a language I don't really enjoy but save time or keep doing Japanese?

Also I don't actually like Japan the country, if that matters.
>>
Well OP, time is never wasted if you're enjoying it.

That being said, you could probably get a lot more benefits from learning Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian or other world languages.

Japanese is a very niché language not often spoken outside of Japan (except for Japanese games/media I suppose).
Not only that, it is very hard to learn and master - I think you can learn Spanish and French in the time you can even begin to master the basics of Japenese.

But in the end there's absolutely nothing you "should" learn, it seems you don't even know what you want. You mention learning something for fun but regret doing it because of your.. work prospects? It being fun should be motivation enough for you to do it. If not then you don't like doing it enough to motivate you.
>>
>>18589038
I meant I am motivated to do it, but I'm worried about wasting time, I don't know what's more important, fun or saving time/benefits
>>
>>18589046
Learning Japanese is a massive time sink, and if you are only doing it to gain workplace or career benefits, it's definitely a waste of time, since you can probably pick up multiple easy to learn world languages in that time. Even the Japanese alphabet is very large and complicated.

Why can't you start learning BOTH Japanese and another language at the same time? Then you have one timesink that will give you the benefits that you want, and one "useless" one that is simply for fun.

Learning multiple languages at the same time is not as bad as it sounds, I am learing Russian and French currently, and I feel like they "boost" the part of my brain I use to learn language, and that it's actually easier to learn languages simultaneously
>>
>>18589012
Having an enjoyable pass time isn't really a waste. Everyone needs a hobby, and yours has the added benefit of being good for your brain.

Being fluent in two languages, no matter what they are (excluding made up shit like Klingon and Welsh), looks good on a resume anyway. Regardless of if it's especially useful.
>>
>>18589012
You aren't going to learn a language you don't really enjoy (unless you live in a country where its predominately spoken). Learning Japanese is really difficult, but like you said the cognitive benefits are really nice. If you consume a lot of weebshit, your Japanese will definitely get a lot of use even if you don't want to go to Japan.
So if you do like weebshit, then I definitely say its worth it.
頑張って
>>
How exactly are you learning Japanese? I'd like to know.

Also, you said you've been seeing benefits. I think you should continue. Learning an additional language is never a waste of time. You can always learn Chinese later if you want.
>>
>>18589390
And don't fuck around, bitch
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL748CE961F8B57950&v=oZEA54VJEdE
>>
>>18589390
I've been using a combination of the website tae kims guide to japanese and the website hiraganaquiz
>>
>>18589668
Also so far I've memorized katakana and hiragana, and learnt a little grammar
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.