[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Take the job or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1501590740958.jpg (76KB, 800x508px) Image search: [Google]
1501590740958.jpg
76KB, 800x508px
Need help making a decision! Two jobs, job A and job B:

A
>22.5 miles from home, 45-50 mins with usual traffic. 1.25 hours when really bad. 30 mins when really good. The commute stresses me the fuck out. I have bad anxiety/anger in traffic.
>22 days vacation (but they don't care if I take more, they really barely even track it)
>I can come as go as I please more or less. I usually get in at 9:30am and leave at 4:30-5:00pm, no lunch
>lets me work from home 3 days a week (I don't really like working from home that much, but I do it to avoid the commute)
>been there 2.5 years, established, respected, good reputation, people trust me
>pays 103K base with a yearly bonus that has been 18-22% the last few years, but this year it's looking more like 12% because the industry is in a period of major change. I foresee these financial troubles continuing, so my bonus may be fucked for years. Made 119K last year, but don't expect as good this year.
>recently changed teams and I honestly don't really enjoy the new team that much. the room we work in has no windows and they play shitty music all day.
>have on call shifts once every two months or so for one week. possibility of working at any hour during this week.
>company is privately held, but large and nationally known/recognized, rated one of the best places to work in the city
>tech stack is modern, the work is modern and adheres to a lot of 'best practices', really builds my career by working here.

posting B in next post
>muh character limit
>>
B
>4 miles from home, maybe a 10 min commute on a bad day
>15 days vacation, likely more strict about tracking it, too. After 5 years there, I'd FINALLY move to 20 days.
>no work from home (which I'm okay with honestly since it's so close)
>hours suck, they said 8am-5pm. I never take lunch, so that's 9 hours a day?? Not sure if they're flexible on this or not.
>pay will be around 120+K with bonus, but bonuses are quarterly and the company is doing REALLY well, so bonuses are good. and since bonuses are quarterly, I get the money a lot sooner than having to wait all year for it.
>no on call support
>would be brand new, no reputation, etc.
>would have more autonomy and authority in the role. I'd be working directly with customers to determine requirements and seeing them through from start to finish. Would look good if I wanted to go into management later.
>company is medium sized (I like that), and is ranked one of the best places to work, as well. has better glassdoor reviews than my current company even.
>industry is SUPER cool and I'm really interested in learning it because it's seriously an industry that's only going to grow, seriously one of the best to be in.
>tech stack is older, their practices are antiquated, though they claim to be open to change. my tech skills would dull by working here probably, unless I really worked hard to change the way they work, and I don't know how that will go.

So... B is in a better industry, pays more and is soo much closer, but the hours and vacation suck ass. B also seems generally more strict and conservative about working arrangements.

Both jobs are senior software developer roles, if that colors your response in some way.

Which job would you take?
>>
Oh, I'd also have my own office at B.
>>
Bump, any opinions are welcome... I'm lost.
>>
>>18587345
>>18587363
Writing your novel in greentext doesn't make it any shorter
>>
B..?

Can't quite say I'm 100% sold, really depends on how the vacation/work hour flexibility gets to you.

On a side note good for you man, making a good living.
>>
>>18587345
I personally would go for A, but that's just because I put the vacation time and flexible hours above p much everything else, I'm not one to live to work; it's a means to an end. You may feel differently about it
>>
>>18587498
>>18587488
thanks for the input guys, really do appreciate your viewpoints

>>18587488
yeah, I'll definitely have to talk to them about it, but it feels like it would be rude to ask if I can stomp on the work hours and vacation days before I even accept the offer, guess I have to though

>>18587498
yeah, I really do value my free time and time with my son above my job, so that's a major part of why I'd want to stay, but the commute is killing me :(
>>
>>18587345
In A u may work less but 1h to go there and 1h back makes it so you kill the same amount of time a day.
>>
>>18587345
A seems better cuz of the vacation days and benefits. B sucks cuz what if you are the top seller and great with the company like 2 yrs from now? Outselling and customers luv ya but NO NO NO you still get 15 days per yr of vacation cuz everybody else who does not have seniority had to do the same amount of time.

I think you will get promoted if this happens, it is only fair, but since it is a large more "corporate" company it seems they are use to standards.

Like I said go with A.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.