[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with High School, my story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: a-plus-art.jpg (31KB, 660x388px) Image search: [Google]
a-plus-art.jpg
31KB, 660x388px
Hello /adv/.
I was born with an above average intelligence and because of that, I learned how to read, write, and simple math at a very young age. School was a breeze. K through 9 were nothing but boring to me, as I thought the things I was learning were boring or I already knew them. Because of how easy school was for me, what happened is that I created this habit of laziness, since I could pass every class with A's without studying ever. As years of school went by, I've become less and less interested in school and my grades started going downhill fast in 10th grade. 11th grade was even worse. While I was struggling with most math problems (I used to be a king in math back in my "golden years") because I didn't study nor did I know how to study, my friends and family who frequently told me I was intelligent and had faith in me got perplexed when my grades started going down. My class coleagues, who knew me for being able to speak very well, also couldn't understand how I had such bad grades with such high apparent intelligence. By the end of 11th grade, I started to think I was just plain dumb. I still think I'm fucking dumb. I got so frustrated that I asked my parents to do an IQ test. The results came in. I discovered I had an IQ of 135. This let me even more confused. As I've found out, school is more of a game of memory than a game of intelligence.
Right now, I'm 18 and heading into 12th grade (the last grade in my country), and I have a complete shit median high school GPA (3.0 GPA translated to the american school system) because of all the bad results I've had over these last couple of years.
My question for you /adv/ is: What can I do? I'd love to get into top unis like anyone else but with a GPA like this, there's no way I can get in (in my country, only GPA matters in the college application).
Also, what are your thoughts on the school systems implemented in the western world?
Finally, did this ever happen to any of you guys?
>>
>>18586931

You're basically repeating my life story, only I had worse grades. Your 3.0 GPA looks stellar next to my 2, 2.5, because I spent all my time sleeping through class because it was boring, and hating myself for being single the entire time.

The only difference is that ACT scores (basically a big ol' test taken during the last two years of high school) is a bigger determining factor for colleges. Even though I have "high intelligence", and I was sick the day of the tests, I still managed to pull a halfway decent score.

The western world doesn't really depend on grades anymore, but money. If you have money you can do whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>18586940
>because I spent all my time sleeping through class because it was boring, and hating myself for being single the entire time.
I know right? I also feel miserable for not having a girlfriend, I'm very selective with whom I talk to so I end up not being the most popular of people around. It also sucks when most people around us are fucking dumb as all hell.

>The only difference is that ACT scores (basically a big ol' test taken during the last two years of high school) is a bigger determining factor for colleges. Even though I have "high intelligence", and I was sick the day of the tests, I still managed to pull a halfway decent score.
Here where I live, your score is calculated using the median of your grades in the 10, 11 and 12th grades + a Math exam (which is 50% of your final grade). Basically, since I suck at math right now, If I fuck up the math exam, my grade goes from 3.0 to 1.5 (assuming I get a 0% score in the exam). My math grade of the 10th and 11th mean is at 2.0 GPA.
I can't sleep at night because of that fucking exam dude, it's still a year away but I feel the sense of impending doom upon me.

>The western world doesn't really depend on grades anymore, but money. If you have money you can do whatever the fuck you want.
Yup. Money and connections. But I still believe there are some remains of meritocracy in our society.
>>
>>18586931
I had like a 1.5 gpa in high school. Went to community college for 2 years then transferred to one of the best public universities in the U.S.

What are your goals OP? Just getting into a top uni in your country? If GPA as important as you claim, even if you get a 4.0 average your senior year, your highest possible GPA is probably a 3.2 or 3.3, so that's out of the picture.
>>
>>18587009
>What are your goals OP?
My goals? I'd like to be a computer scientist, I've always liked technology and I know a few languages.
>Just getting into a top uni in your country? If GPA as important as you claim, even if you get a 4.0 average your senior year, your highest possible GPA is probably a 3.2 or 3.3, so that's out of the picture.
I'd like to get into the "MIT" of my country, but it's exactily as you said. Even if I get a 4.0 next year, I have no chances. What can one do in my position? Also, how did you transfer to one of the best colleges, coming from a community college? How did they accept you?
>>
>>18587034

I wouldn't consider it "one of the best colleges", but it's a good public university.

Public universities in my state only look at your community college record. If you have a 4.0 community college GPA and a 1.5 high school GPA, the schools you're applying to will only see the 4.0.

If you have some money and a lot of ambition, I would recommend trying to come to the U.S., going to community college in CA, get a great record while there, and apply to Berkeley which is one of the best computer science colleges in the world.
>>
>>18587081
>Public universities in my state only look at your community college record. If you have a 4.0 community college GPA and a 1.5 high school GPA, the schools you're applying to will only see the 4.0.
Oh so if you stay at the community college for a year and ace it, you can use that to your advantage when trying to convince your future college to accept you?

>If you have some money and a lot of ambition, I would recommend trying to come to the U.S., going to community college in CA, get a great record while there, and apply to Berkeley which is one of the best computer science colleges in the world.
That would be so fucking cool, but not only is money short and my parents not the best, it's fucking hard to get into the US for long periods of time. You guys prefer having refugees to europeans coming on board sadly (I'm european). But fuck yeah I'd love to go and study there.
>>
>>18586931
You kinda brought this on yourself for not caring most of highschool, I can't say I'm much better since I didn't try my freshman year.

There isn't much you can do at this point but go to a community college that is decent and transfer out like >>18587081 said

It took me the rest of highschool to pull up my 3.0 to a 4.5 just try not to act like an entitled prick in college and do the work, not to be a dick or anything.

However if you can prove your intelligence and you do know programming language, then check to see if the high end college you're applying to does interviews
>>
>>18587207
>You kinda brought this on yourself for not caring most of highschool
yeah but life was so easy before 10th, i got used to using my usual tactics of not studying for anything.
>It took me the rest of highschool to pull up my 3.0 to a 4.5 just try not to act like an entitled prick in college and do the work, not to be a dick or anything.
What do you mean not act like a dick? What would lead me to act like a dick in the first place?
>However if you can prove your intelligence and you do know programming language, then check to see if the high end college you're applying to does interviews
Yeah I think they do, that's pretty common around here.
>>
>>18586931
You never mentioned your country, so I don't really know what the system is like in wherever you're from. The best advice I can give you is to work your butt off next year. If it matters at all, try to add some volunteer and extracurricular experience onto your resume.

I had a similar experience. I was depressed and unmotivated throughout high school, so I ended up going to a community college and transferring to a four-year university afterwards. I got my master's degree after that and now I teach high school.
>>
>>18587255
Yeah I see transfering is a good plan. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>18587353
No problem. Good luck.
>>
>>18586931
Sounds like to me you are a lazy fuck and proving it by coming here for some easy way to have what you want without having to do the work or live with the consequences.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.