[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Housemate help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: vader face.png (234KB, 539x521px) Image search: [Google]
vader face.png
234KB, 539x521px
Hey /adv/ I'm currently living in a 5 person house with four other people. One of the housemates has a shitty abusive boyfriend who after repeated hassle with the majority of us has been banned from the house.

However, the housemate who is dating him keeps sneaking into our house and don't know how to prevent this. It's been happening repeatedly over the Summer as we are aware he has nowhere to go until September. Problem is the housemate who is dating him lives right by the door so she can easily sneak him in without us knowing.

As of right now I am currently away from the house back at my parents for the week (over an hour away) while my girlfriend (whho also lives at the house) is there with the housemate and she believes the shitty bf is also there.

She stopped messaging me about fifteen mins ago afte repeated messages back and forth and Im really worried. Do I wait for a reply or call the police or what? I feel so fucking helpless rn.

I can give more details jusy wanted to have someone aware fo the situation or vent my feeligns.
>>
What has he done to you that you chose to ban him?
>>
do you have a landlord? tell him or her about this and get the bitch evicted
>>
>>18586925
Make sure you have a written contract. Make sure it's states that you all and the past given verbal warnings to her that her boyfriend is no longer welcomed in the house. He is abusive toward her and you guys won't tolerate such a hostile environment. He is banned. Majority rules.

Second make sure it is mentioned that her sneaking him into the house is Rule violation and it that she continues to that she will get kicked out. Now I know there are some rules depending on where you live such as giving her a two weeks notice that she is kicked out so she can have some time to find some place else to crash.

Make copies of the signed document letting her be fully aware that yall are serious about the dude coming in.

Check with your local authorties too.
>>
>>18586928
Originally it was like shitty housemate 101. Never cleaned his shit, left food out, used other people stuff but he never lived there. Then he literally never left. There have been periods of two-three weeks where he has just lived at ours. Then after awhile open arguments and passive aggressive shit between the two of them started happening regularly, like living with abusive parents lol.

Then after we got tired with his shit and asked him to leave fro the time being kept sneaking his way back in which led to a massive argument when we confronted him while he was here.

Their relationship is really unhealthy and I wouldn't really give a shit but the fact its in our house and open for everyone to see it becomes our problem as well when our house becomes a battleground and we're caught in the middle just trying to live in our house peacefully.
>>
>>18586925
Lay broken glass and Booby trap the apartment. If the asshole steps on glass you will know.

Jokes aside call your gf. I'd be fucking terrified of I were you. Spam call her and call popo to check it out if she doesn't respond in ten minutes
>>
>>18586955
Gf responded, she spoke with the housemate and not the bf. Currently midnight here rn so doesnt wanna start shit and is on her own with it all so has gone up to her room.

>>18586946
Thanks for the advice. We were hesitant at first because at one point we all got along and were friends but considering how worked up I've gotten that time has past. We have a written contract so when I get back will check official tenancy rules and we'll sit down with housemate again and give her an ultimatum. Idk how else to solve the issue sensibly otherwise. Fucking hell.
>>
>>18586972
Sorry this >>18586946 was meant for >>18586945
>>
>>18586925

Don't you guys have a tenancy contract with the landlord?

Tenancy contracts almost always forbids sub-letting (even without payment involved iirc).

I'd recommend getting proof of the asshole's historical presence in the flat and taking it to the landlord. It's their house and this freeloader is essentially stealing a paid service (tenancy).

Proof can probably be obtained in the form of cross-referencable text message logs from among the decent 4 housemates. Also the unanimous witness of said housemates, to the landlord. Maybe could even set up hidden camera pointed at the door showing who comes and goes.

Worst case scenario is that the landlord agrees to let him stay, either for free or by charging rent. I would say when you present the case to them initially, make it clear to the landlord that this guy is extremely disruptive to the house, and that the rest of you do *not* want him there
>>
>>18586990
Main problem is that as of right now proof is pretty scarce. Have heard voices but catching him is a nightmare due to how close the front door is to housemates room other than barging into the room and videoing it. Honestly have considered getting a hidden camera but thought it would be overkill or a bit too paranoid. Thinking maybe seeing somehow who was actively using the wifi at the time and being able to identify his phone/tablet or laptop or anything.
>>
>>18587045

Phone/tablet Wi-Fi connection log can be easily dismissed as they can say that the girl was borrowing his device(s).

But i suppose it's better than nothing.

There is 99.999% chance that his devices (everyone's, really) is using dynamic IP addresses in the LAN. So you could log in to the router and check the DHCP clients list to find his device. Most modern routers should display a human-readable name (eg, "John-PC"). However sometimes computers come with random names and people don't change it (eg "Laptop-47IGC"). Would still be possible to derive his device's name via deductive reasoning/process of elimination by identifying the device names of all the other devices on the network.

If the router doesn't display device names, then you're going to have to work with MAC addresses, which in principle should be the same to find out as outlined above.

Apart from this, routers often have parental controls you may be able to leverage. However these are usually used to actively limit what devices get access to the internet; as opposed to passively logging which devices try to connect. Worth a look anyhow.

Finally theres the router's system log. But I've never looked in there so don't know what info is usually present. IIRC its packet-level stuff.

All this is probably far too technical to be useful, but it's all quite sensical. Like, if I was there myself, I could identify the asshole's device usually in minutes. A couple days at most.

Maybe ask any techie friends to help you out?
There is also Google. You could also Google the general problem (eg, "How to catch trespassers")
>>
>>18587133

Oh also, sometimes people have lax network security settings on their computers such that their device automatically shows up in the 'network' lists of all other devices on the network whenever they're connected. Like in the left-hand pane in Windows Explorer. If this is the case with the asshole's PC, you may just be able to screenshot whenever you see his device there, and not have to go fiddling about with your router.
>>
>>18587133
You have a point about the borrowing issue, though check if they both are connected at the same time. Slightly harder evidence, but still iffy.

There's a phone app called "Fing" which does most of this device-searching and in an easy-to-read manner, I recommend that if you'unsure how to do it on a PC.

If you want to put them in an awkward spot, most routers offer a device-blocking capability, just block his devices after gathering any evidence of him being there. It'd force him to be without a device, and if she happens to come asking around about Wi-Fi issues then that's fair game he's there.

It may seem paranoid but I'd agree with you on the camera for evidence, it's really the only way. Considering how awful this has been, and how bad it potentially could get, just do it once and get rid of it. Hang out outside with your phone or something, catch a pic if he comes around.

Tech stuff aside, definitely talk to the landlord about it. Involve the police if it at all gets rowdy, and work towards getting a proper legal restraining order. Work as a group when you can.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.