[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discouraging Scam Health-Necklaces.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: magicnecklace.png (1MB, 1422x641px) Image search: [Google]
magicnecklace.png
1MB, 1422x641px
My mum has recently been in close contact with very superstitious (and fiercely religious) family members.
They have convinced her of the 'healing power of energy-necklaces' and often wants me to wear them when I feel unwell (in my case occasional weather dependent headaches). She tells me stories of how it helped that aunt get over vertigo.
>what is peer-review?
>what is placebo?
>what are control groups?

As a (neuro)science/psychology student, I clearly do not trust or believe in such snakeoil scams.

At the same time I truly do not feel well wearing and thus endorsing such objects.
I am afraid that even if I wear them just to appease her, I'd encourage her trust in such voodoo and may eventually lead her to buy such useless POS.
These occasional headaches go away after an adjustment period, but through talking about improvements my mum might think it was the necklace.
Throwing away a gift would be insulting to the aunt.
>What is the best way to deal with these.
>>
Just straight up tell her you don't believe in them but you will accept them as a token of love or something. My girlfriend believes in chakras and energy in crystals and has given me several over the years to reduce stress and yada yada. I have one hanging from my guitar (looks pretty sweet, desu) and I keep the others on my desk at home. She knows I don't believe in their healing powers and whatnot but I also think she appreciates that I keep them around things that I am constantly interacting with. The value they hold to me is that they were a gift from someone I care about and who cares about me enough to give me something they care about.
>>
>>18585118
You are lucky that your gf isn't very insistent.
With me it will probably result in arguments in the vain of.
>It's good for you!
>Look how it helped your aunt.
>Look it did improve it (they go away anyway after a bit).
>>
>>18585133
>You are lucky that your gf isn't very insistent.
Indeed. I hate all that voodoo juju shit but whatever makes her happy, so long as she doesn't lecture me.

>>18585133
Kind of reminds me of my mother. Perhaps try telling her that you appreciate it but as a medical student, you'd prefer your own methods.
Have you had consistent headaches your whole life? I feel that may help your argument.
>>
>>18585133
>So used to relationship threads every female is a gf

OP, instead of caring so much about your precious agnosticism, you should look into how this stuff makes sense if you examine it in the psychological model for chaos magic
>tl;dr subconscious metaprogramming

Just tell your family members that you prefer to work on your own talismans and sigils, since the personal touch gives it more loosh, and then tell them you can't ever discuss your occult practices, since it counteracts the charging of your arsenal. Blow their minds by going further than they are.
>>
That looks fake

But some of this stuff can work (Hindu gurus say pure metals like silver, gold and copper worn on the arm or near the heart improve your "karma", a subtle "energy law" that may effect future events) would they lie? they're not even aware of todays scientific community.

If you don't believe anything from Hinduism or whatever, then it is all fake to you... You just show your mom that the kind of person you are is not compatible with "spirituality" topic, you're doing something completely contrary to her views... If she understood that she'll say "ok" and never bother with you again.

But
>>
>>18585156
But don't forget, I am posting on 4chan because it's anonymous. I don't want to discredit myself.

Anything I say that is not scientific, rightfully makes me sound out of touch with reality.

If I were a famous scientist, I would lose my career.

There is a lot of snakeoil in life though... I think it is mainly to create a more perfect society
>>
>>18585079
As a neuro/psych student you should know that placebo is one of the strongest medicines around for problems of the mind.
>>
>>18585185
This is indeed true. But does doesn't mean that overpriced pieces of metal are legitimate formes of treatment to most illnesses. Dishabitutation, yes. As a mainline treatment no.

But that is not the point.

How can I address this necklace situation without outright throwing it away?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.