[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Should I Major In?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Discovery.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Discovery.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
I'm planning on attending a local community college this fall. Currently, I'm registered for beginning algebra, freshman composition (eligible for honors but I figured an A would look better than potentially getting a worse grade), political science (American federal government), drawing, and music appreciation.

I have to drop my political science class because it overlaps with another commitment I have and now I'm having severe anxiety about what I should major in. My current major is just general studies because I planned on transferring to a university. Part of the problem is the fact that I'm interested in so many different topics, yet there isn't really anything that I feel is calling me (besides maybe art and music). I also can't tell if I want to go for something that interests me more or go for something that will allow me to make more money. I've thought about being a teacher or a school counselor but they seem to be paid poorly.

TL;DR: I don't know what I want to do for a living. What should I major in?
>>
File: 2e9.png (1KB, 340x106px) Image search: [Google]
2e9.png
1KB, 340x106px
>>18584831
I'm in a similar boat. I'll tell you this though, get a job that makes cash and do arts on the side. Have something to fall back on. Unless you're deep into the arts in which case go for it.
>>
>>18584910
I've thought about potentially being an art teacher but I've heard it can be hard to find a job as a teacher unless you teach STEM.
>>
if youre asking this, you shouldnt even be in school desu
just take your basics these first two years and decide then, dont sweat it
Pursue your interests in the interim and talk to professors/professionals in their respective fields and decide if it's something you want to do, youll end up with a general idea of what you like and things you'd hate to do

>but they seem to be paid poorly
if youre going for 'making big bucks straight out of college', youre also doing it wrong, youre going to hate yourself for the rest of your life
Not that it cant be achieved, but plan accordingly and dont fuck yourself by majoring in something that you dont love/wont help you achieve your end goal
Be smart about it and truly decide what is important for you in terms of what you want in your future

My best friend is a teacher in junior high, and although he might not be making the big bucks, he's fucking happier than most of us, gets school day vacations, has his own home and genuinely loves his job (sans state testing curriculum)
>>
>>18584936
It's not like money is the most important thing to me, but I grew up relatively poor and was never able to do a lot of things. I want to be able to pursue my hobbies further and do things I enjoy and later down the line I'd also like my kids to be able to do the same. Granted, I'm working minimum wage right now so even $30,000 a year is a lot to me. I'll be honest, I feel like I do want to be an art or English teacher, I'm just really caught up on the money aspect. I don't want to be poor the rest of my life.
>>
>>18584945
I get you
why do you want to become a teacher then?
what grades?

Mind you, I dont know much about teaching
But perhaps you could pursue something else and get certified to teach when youre older, or use your hobbies to generate a little extra income

being a teacher is a big deal man, if youre set on it I'd talk to teachers in your area and ask them about how they manage
Look into states where they pay their teachers well, hell even countries if youre willing to go that far
>>
>>18584999
I'd like to teach high school students. It may seem silly but when I went through school, I had a bunch of great teachers who went beyond just teaching the class and made learning an enjoyable experience. There was also a lot of teachers I bonded with and I'd like to be on the giving end. I enjoy working with kids and teaching people new things.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.