[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grad School

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: Sulfur-mustard-2D-skeletal.png (14KB, 1100x260px) Image search: [Google]
Sulfur-mustard-2D-skeletal.png
14KB, 1100x260px
So I'm a chem major that's going to be applying to PhD programs in the fall. Need some evaluation of my application so I know what level of school I should be applying to.

GPA: 3.82 cum, 3.91 in major (including Advanced Organic Chemistry)

GRE: 162 verbal 165 quantitative, waiting on essay

Research: 3 years total including summers by the time I graduate, last 2 years will be in the same group on the same project

Teaching: two semesters of 'mentoring' (glorified proctor/grader) and this fall will be full TA

Letters of Rec: Will have one really strong one from my PI, no idea what to do about the other two

Will be doing a poster presentation at an international conference in two weeks

Extracurriculars: Captain of a club sport team for a year and president of a club for a year

Is this enough to get me to interviews at top 10 schools? I feel like if I can make it to interviews I can present well enough to get in. Won't have a publication before applications are due unless some some miracle occurs and my reactions speed up from 20-50 hrs to 2-5 hrs each. My biggest issue is having no idea who would be good to ask for letters of rec. Possibly one of my professors for one letter but at a loss for the third one unless I hit it off really well in the first month of TA'ing in the fall.
>>
Just get good letters and have firm reasons for why each program suits you (i.e. pick a prof and make a case as to how your interests align and you can benefit their lab). If that part of your statement is weak, the grades and numbers don't matter nearly as much.

Also, desu, helps if you have a BS from a program of note.

I'm in one of the #1 ranked programs. Getting in is easier than you think. Just know it's a dice roll so apply to a good number programs.
>>
>>18584405
>>18584405
I'm hoping my professors remember enough about me to get another one or two good letters. Going to try asking pretty much any of the ones I've had in the last year and seeing what they think. Going to pick through professors and work before sending in an app so I know if I'm actually interested in the places. I'm guessing I need to go a bit more in depth than just "i am interested in this field because i think it will result in x and have experience in doing y"?

Eh, my school is an engineering college / research institute. Better known for engineering but overall top 50 nationally. Don't really have any name recognition for chemistry.

I'm only taking 12-14 credits this fall so I have the time to send out apps, but its pretty expensive isn't it? I doubt I could afford more than 8
>>
File: KEKule.png (329KB, 772x896px) Image search: [Google]
KEKule.png
329KB, 772x896px
>>18584080
As a chemistry major myself, you are a inspiration. Good luck with grad school.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.