[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are people with mental illnesses considered weak? pic unrelated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: widow.png (977KB, 582x743px) Image search: [Google]
widow.png
977KB, 582x743px
why are people with mental illnesses considered weak? pic unrelated
>>
>>18580328
Only idiots and sociopaths consider them weak.
>>
Because they are not capable of handling the challenges and stresses mentally healthy people are capable of. There's also the culture of people wanting to be victims and using mental illnesses as a guard against criticism and self improvement. So many people who claim they have mental illnesses are fake which give truth to the idea of mental weakness, and the ones who actually have mentally illnesses can't perform as well as healthy people.

>>18580336
You are denying reality.
>>
>>18580328
Because they're inherently weaker than normal people?
>>
Because they're easy to manipulate. Because most drive people away so they have few people to fall back on. Because when shit hits the fan they'll be the ones to die first.
>>
>>18580328
Having dealt with several family members with psychological issues, they really struggle with their self esteem, self control, responsibility, etc. And I am talking about real, serious diagnosis, not people who "think they might be x mental illness because y"

My mom has bipolar disorder with delusions and hallucinations. She is 52 years old, refuses therapy, only wants lithium, barely wants to learn a thing on how to control herself, still lives in her parents home, could never hold a relationship, never hold a full time job. She blames this all on her illness. Zero accountability for herself and no willingness to learn.

My brother is 29 and a couple of years ago, he had his first psychotic break. This was after years of being an alcoholic, being unable to hold a job because of his addictions, and refusing to go to school. Then he had a manic episode with delusions of grandeur. He was running around the streets claiming to be a celebrity, waving at thin air and shouting there are crowds of fans watching him. He got arrested. All of us (including the police) thought drugs were in his system. Test was clean as a whistle. Then he got depressed, never left his room, pissed in 2 liter soda bottles instead of walking 10 feet to the bathroom, never showered.

And all of that is disorder related, sure. But bipolar disorder doesn't present itself frequently. Most of your life, you are at your baseline, then occasionally have episodes (this is for Bipolar I, mom and bro's diagnosis)

What I don't understand, is that when both my mom and my brother are at their normal, they refuse to do anything preventative or productive for themselves or their disorders. Both of them leech off my grandparents, can't hold jobs, zero ambition for self improvement.

I don't know anyone else intimately enough that has a disorder, but my mom and my brother just victimize themselves instead of conquer themselves.
>>
There's a difference between weak because they cannot help it like a legitimate chemical imbalance

And weak because of a self prescribed psychological and mental ailment that makes one aversive to difficult and stressful situations
>>
>>18580353
So because of something they can't control they're weak?
>>
>>18580353
I have have schizoaffective disorder, am the top inspector at my job and am a straight A student. you have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>18580328

they're not usually. if its an extreme one like autism they're barely considered human, they're in their own kinda category that makes em exempt to those classifications.

then theres the people who have things like depression who are considered weak because they can't beat the depression, something most people haveb attled with to some extent, but the long term depressed often just seem whiny. maybe they're really sick. maybe they're just whiny. the world will never know
>>
>>18580659
Do you take medication? Be honest.
>>
>>18580328
No, pic very related. It's demonstrating that you're asking about yourself.
>>
>>18580682
yes
>>
>>18582210
Great, so that means you needed something to enhance yourself to cover up for a weakness and perform as well as mentally healthy people.

I'm not trying to be mean, but denying that mental ill people are considered as strong as mental sound people is a serious stretch. There will obviously be outliers (Somehow performing better than average without medications), but the consistency stands. It's a fact of life.
>>
>>18580670
>wake up
>be sad
>hey everyone I'm saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad today
>>
>>18582215
>denying

Claiming*
>>
>>18580652
But they really can control it. I've been there. It's just more convenient to have a victim complex than to actually do something to improve your emotional state a lot of the time.

If you can't be held accountable for yourself, then WHO can?
>>
>>18582215
I still worked full time as a chef before I started the meds, even with psychotic symptoms. I excelled at that job as I Excell at this job. Besides meds aren't perfect. I work full time, go to school full time plus deal with symptoms of my illness and side effects of medication. Would you call some one weak if they took antibiotics or chemo drugs?
>>
>>18582389
Why do so many people look down on people who *are* controlling their mental illness, though?
>>
>>18580328
because if it didn't make people weaker it wouldn't be called an illness in the first place.
>>
>>18582627

I think the problem OP has is that weak culturally means that a person is not worthy of being treated like a person.
>>
>>18580652
>why are short men considered weak?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.